Ares Games

View Poll Results: Card rules vs mini rules: do we need a 'miniature rules compendium'?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have no problem looking in different parts of the rulebook(s) to check how to play with minis.

10 35.71%
  • Although a 'full mini compendium' would be great, I can live with what I got.

11 39.29%
  • A (partial) 'all miniature' rulebook exists, but I'd like a rewrite of the rules only for minis.

7 25.00%

Thread: Card rules vs mini rules

Question Card rules vs mini rules

[This poll concerns miniature players, if you mainly play with cards, please don't answer!]

As seen in the "How do you play Wings of War? Minis, cards or both." poll, more than 3/4 of the players who answered play mainly with miniatures.

Wings of War seems to have been written for play with cards, the miniatures having only appeared later. The result of this is that there are several (I admit, slightly) different rule sets, depending on what box you have bought and that the handling of minis, especially if using special rules, seems a bit confusing at times.

Do you think that the transition in the rulebooks from card only rules to minis had been well managed? Or do you think that, even in the latest box (FOTG), minis are treated as an aside rather than the 'version' of the game played by the majority?

Thanks for answering,

petitbilbo

PS: this is the second poll I'll be using to compile a post about the game

It would be nice to have..but its not a necessity... However if you feel the need to make a compedium for the mini's : I want one!

In general, I find the rulebooks a bit lacking in usability. Certain topics, especially exceptions/optional rules, are spread out under different headings/rulebooks so that it's easy to miss a rule that you don't keep fresh in your mind.
    The over all quality is good, better than most games I think. They cover most situations and are fairly consistent, it's just the disposition that I can have problems with at times.

/Niclas

A quick play sheet would be useful for new players. Once you get used to the system the book is a lot easier to manage than many rule sets I've used.
    rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Again, in type, these are the kind of answers I was hoping for.
    (Never sure if I formulate my questions well enough...)

Keep it coming guys (and gals)!

petitbilbo

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil View Post
    It would be nice to have..but its not a necessity... However if you feel the need to make a compedium for the mini's : I want one!
    That's not exactly what I had planned...

And then, even IF I'd make one, it would be in French, as all other peeps I'm playing with are French speakers.

petitbilbo

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    A quick play sheet would be useful for new players. Once you get used to the system the book is a lot easier to manage than many rule sets I've used.
    rob.
    I have made one with the basic maneuvers and our house rules on altitude and collision damage incorporated

Quote Originally Posted by Number4 View Post
    I have made one with the basic maneuvers and our house rules on altitude and collision damage incorporated
    That could be quite useful Stuart. Could you download it to the site?
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    rob.
    [Click links for files in "Game Aides" section]

I've already got you covered Rob!(full color, double sided with all the necessary rules). Also, for an even SMALLER reference sheet in black and white. The mini-reference sheet is the same one I made for Commander Hajj, for use at Origins 2011.

Lugz
    Last edited by Lugburz; 06-19-2011 at 14:20.

Doesn't the revised deluxe set rulebook cover everything from a miniatures point of view?

Quote Originally Posted by Lugburz View Post
    [Click links for files in "Game Aides" section]

I've already got you covered Rob!(full color, double sided with all the necessary rules). Also, for an even SMALLER reference sheet in black and white. The mini-reference sheet is the same one I made for Commander Hajj, for use at Origins 2011.

Lugz
    Got it thanks. Have another
    Rob.

I find the revised rulebook (from the deluxe set) and balloon busters book fits all needs quite clearly....

Default Reference Sheet

Quote Originally Posted by Madboyo View Post
    I find the revised rulebook (from the deluxe set) and balloon busters book fits all needs quite clearly....
    I agree with Chris, but a one sheet reference page would be good to have table side.

Does someone have a link to the latest reference sheet for WoW and DoW?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    I agree with Chris, but a one sheet reference page would be good to have table side.

Tom
    A one pager would be useful.

A one pager would be useful.
    Yes. Laminated so tears and spilled beer wipe off easily

Having written manuals and maintained them for 20 years, maintaining them alone with updates/corrections/additions is a constant chore.
    A manual with all rules categorized and coded for cards, minis, and both. Categories (chapters) would include, Movement, Shooting, Damage, Altitude, Etc. If formatted correctly, you would change only the pages per category. Having to keep changing multiple/cascading pages and the associated indexes would be a pain and expensive (See Star Fleet Battles as an example.).
    Since the game is still evolving and with the current technology, a text based manual makes the most sense, for now.

Quote Originally Posted by petitbilbo View Post
    That's not exactly what I had planned...

And then, even IF I'd make one, it would be in French, as all other peeps I'm playing with are French speakers.

petitbilbo
    you can't blame me for trying...

I agree with Chris and would also add no rules for what ever reason they are written fit every occasion,

Quote Originally Posted by Number4 View Post
    Yes. Laminated so tears and spilled beer wipe off easily
    Crying?! There's no crying in Wings of War!

There is definitely beer though

Quote Originally Posted by petitbilbo View Post
    [This poll concerns miniature players, if you mainly play with cards, please don't answer!]

As seen in the "How do you play Wings of War? Minis, cards or both." poll, more than 3/4 of the players who answered play mainly with miniatures.

Wings of War seems to have been written for play with cards, the miniatures having only appeared later. The result of this is that there are several (I admit, slightly) different rule sets, depending on what box you have bought and that the handling of minis, especially if using special rules, seems a bit confusing at times.

Do you think that the transition in the rulebooks from card only rules to minis had been well managed? Or do you think that, even in the latest box (FOTG), minis are treated as an aside rather than the 'version' of the game played by the majority?

Thanks for answering,

petitbilbo

PS: this is the second poll I'll be using to compile a post about the game
    I expect this is where I'm supposed to point this out http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...do=file&id=420

It's based off the Deluxe set (which was more miniatures based) plus additional rules from everything before FotG, reorganised as needed. Not available in anything other than English I'm afraid, sorry petitbilbo !
    Last edited by IRM; 06-20-2011 at 08:30.

There is a Play aid in the files, I have downloaded & laminated them. Also there is a consolidated rule book also in the files