Ares Games

Thread: Skytrex miniatures

Default Skytrex miniatures

Hi,
    I'd like to buy some miniatures 1/144 from skytrex.
    are miniatures compatible with the wow pegs? if not, how they can be used in wow game.
    are minatures already painted? ...
    did someone buy the bombardier's miniature?
    thanks in advantage to all
    Daniele

Daniele,
    They are not immediately compatible with WoW pegs, but you can drill a hole in the underside and glue a piece of perspex or plastic rod into it, which will fit into the peg. The models are not painted and need putting together. I've got some bomber models, as have quite a few people on this forum, I would imagine. I haven't got many madeup yet.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

I've gone for the sram 1:144 - The resin kits are that much lighter than the others and therefore more stable. Mounting them is a problem unless you drill and fit pegs (brass rod is good and available from good model shops) or sacrifice a flight peg and just glue it permanently. Best solution I've found is the LITKO flight stands. Bases pegs and toppers are required but you get a good fit and with altitude dials as well my FE does nicely.

http://www.litko.net/categories/Aeri...2%84%A2-rules/

I've a Biff in the paintshop at the moment - can't wait to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by AlgyLacey View Post
    I've gone for the sram 1:144 - The resin kits are that much lighter than the others and therefore more stable. Mounting them is a problem unless you drill and fit pegs (brass rod is good and available from good model shops) or sacrifice a flight peg and just glue it permanently. Best solution I've found is the LITKO flight stands. Bases pegs and toppers are required but you get a good fit and with altitude dials as well my FE does nicely.
    Algernon, have you tried he oberst's gimbals?
    I too like the sram models and it easy to make a divot in the resin for the gimbal bearing - I happen to have a Dremel bit that's perfect for this (which I use manually - I do _not_ turn my Dremel on the poor model). The bit's something like a ball drill bit, don't know what they're call, but I think you could almost as easily use the tip of a knife.

...and if you haven't tried the gimbal mountings, you should - They're great!

/Niclas

Quote Originally Posted by Niclas View Post
    Algernon, have you tried he oberst's gimbals?
    /Niclas
    I use them, but found it easier to glue the ball bearing to a small plastic tube (a plastic bead, section of a coffee stirrer or a piece cut from the inner tube of a ball point pen works) then slip that over the WoW airplane peg. That way you don't need to cut a precious altitude peg as the magnet just sits on top with a dab of super glue. With a non-WoW kit, I've found an Allen screw works best. This has a hexagon-shaped hole in the head into which a hexagon shaped wrench fits, and provides a good seat for the ball bearing and can be simply screwed into the underside of your model. I have three Dr I kits and two F Toys Spad VII's mounted in this way.

Litko pegs are even better as the 1/8" ring magnet fits snugly over the top.

The gimbals work well for small aircraft and scouts but the bigger 2 seaters are a bit unstable; for the life of me I can't get them to work with the LFG Roland as the model seems to be nose heavy - anyone else found this?
    Last edited by Albert Ross; 06-18-2011 at 10:22.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mark Duncan
    Sorties Flown

I used the 1/4" x1/4"x 1/8" ring magnets, they seem strong enough for even the Rolands, not sure about the bombers coming out tho...
    Last edited by The Red Baron; 06-18-2011 at 12:08. Reason: spelling

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mark Duncan
    Sorties Flown

Where can u get the SRAM kits ?

TomThom

Any photos of the SRAM kits made up (Dave)?
    They look a bit 'fiddly' in their unmade form and quite expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Baron View Post
    Where can u get the SRAM kits ?
    Hannants are your best bet

http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/ind...&setPerPage=25

Quote Originally Posted by TomThom View Post
    If you read my build article on the 'Big Ack' and the Nieuport, it will give you an idea of what needs to be done with SRAM kits if you are going to use them for W0W. Here are a couple I've made up:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...p?5127-Big-Ack!

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...trio+nieuports
    Last edited by Guntruck; 06-19-2011 at 03:46.

Looking really good Steve!
    Did you make the pilot/gunner yourself?

I'd have to agree with you there Robert, they are both fiddly and expensive. But I still think that they are great models and I like them.
    That said, I have to confess that the two downsides you mentioned, along with how difficult they are to get hold of, now have me using all of my allotted hobby-time to experimenting with scratch building - Since it's not that much more work and far less expensive (at least in theory - As I said, I'm experimenting, so I've managed to spend quite a lot on trying out different methods and materials).

/Niclas

Quote Originally Posted by Niclas View Post
    Looking really good Steve!
    Did you make the pilot/gunner yourself?
    No they are Reviresco. The rear gunner is a German figure with the side ammo drum chopped off and a slice of plastic rod placed on top.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mark Duncan
    Sorties Flown

Where can you get the SRAM kits?

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Baron View Post
    Where can you get the SRAM kits?
    I've also found mine at Hannants (see Guntrunck's link above).

Thumbs up

Thanks for the Link to Hannarts! They have a good range of models especially for the early War period. (Pfalz E1 Yee Haa!)

They are dear , but if you need and have to have your call. They look OK.

Thanks a lot for the thread!
    Daniele

Quote Originally Posted by TomThom View Post
    First glimpse in my albums -

Not quite finished and a little bit wonky but not too bad for a first attempt in resin.
    Last edited by AlgyLacey; 06-24-2011 at 11:53.