Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand-painted mat/map.

Default Hand-painted mat/map.

There have been a lot of talk about WoW mats lately, so I decided to make one myself. It is a green mat, 2 x 1.3 meters, originally intended for balconys and such. I have painted fields using cheap acrylic paint applied using a sponge. No-mans-land with it's craters is going to be painted using spray paint, except the trenches that are going to made by a broad marker pen probably.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pix2.png 
Views:	101 
Size:	654.6 KB 
ID:	121533

Name:	pix1.png 
Views:	98 
Size:	626.1 KB 
ID:	121532

Name:	pix3.png 
Views:	99 
Size:	625.3 KB 
ID:	121534

/Jörgen
    Last edited by Wombat; 01-29-2014 at 13:33.

Wow that looks awesome.
    Linz

Jörgen!

That looks great! keep up the good work!

Rich

I can't wait to see the finished product!! Is there anyway you could show us a link for the exact "carpeting" material you used?
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Is there anyway you could show us a link for the exact "carpeting" material you used?
    No, sorry. Couldn't find it on their homepage even.

Looks great Jörgen - I like the really vivid colours you've acchieved!

/Niclas

Is there anyway you could show us a link for the exact "carpeting" material you used?
    Looks like the sort of strong felt mat that is, as Jörgen says, sold as balcony mats (or "balcony grass") in Sweden. Similar, or the same, to some car mats - Though not (I think) needle felt.

Jörgen!

Have you tried going back to store for some information?

rich

Thumbs up

Great work Jorgen!
    How much did the material cost?
    I think over here its called "Outdoor Carpet".

I think it's finished for now.

Name:	pix2.png 
Views:	101 
Size:	641.4 KB 
ID:	121529

Name:	pix3.png 
Views:	102 
Size:	637.8 KB 
ID:	121530

Name:	pix1.png 
Views:	99 
Size:	607.8 KB 
ID:	121528

I should add more small craters, but that is quite hard to do as the carpet texture is really rough.

And about the carpet:

Name:	pix4.png 
Views:	100 
Size:	522.0 KB 
ID:	121531

It cost 79 Swedish Crowns (about $12.40 or £7.68) per square meter at Mattlandet. The carpet rolls to choose from were 2 meters or 1.33 meters wide. Probably sold as outdoor carpet in other countries. There were also a kind with rubber on the back.

/Jörgen
    Last edited by Wombat; 01-29-2014 at 13:34. Reason: Fixed photos.

Neatly done, Im sure it will enhance your games. Top notch

Looks great!

I'm must confess to being a bit envious - and inspired!

I actually like this stylized stuff (as with the official maps too) better than the photoshopped ones.

/Niclas

Nice work! The results are fantastic. Your choice of material, and the application of paint using a sponge and spraypaint was excellent; the rough surface of the carpet really lends itself towards creating a more "natural" looking texture for the fields and trench area. It's always neat to see what approach people take when creating their own mats. This may be one of my favorite hand-painted jobs!

Cheers!
    Lugburz

Lugburz: This may be one of my favorite hand-painted jobs!
    Thanks!

Niclas: I actually like this stylized stuff (as with the official maps too) better than the photoshopped ones.
    So do I really. More in line with the planes I think, and less cluttered.

I like the result, except maybe the craters. They look better on the photos than in real life. Should be more of them, and they should be smaller.
    I have decided to highlight the trenchlines somewhat, when I have the time and space to do it. I have now cut the map in two parts, each 1 x 1.33 meters. Makes it a little bit easier to handle.

/Jörgen

Wow! That's superb.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Nicely done. I really like your art work on the craters. Your shading is fantastic they look great.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    I think it's finished for now.

Attachment 14395Attachment 14396Attachment 14397

I should add more small craters, but that is quite hard to do as the carpet texture is really rough. I also should highlight the trenchlines, but then I would have to get some kind of light color pen I think.

And about the carpet:

Attachment 14399

It cost 79 Swedish Crowns (about $12.40 or £7.68) per square meter at Mattlandet. The carpet rolls to choose from were 2 meters or 1.33 meters wide. Probably sold as outdoor carpet in other countries. There were also a kind with rubber on the back.

/Jörgen
    When you say there was a "kind of rubber on the back" did you remove it?
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

"kind WITH rubber on the back" - I meant another kind that had a rubberised back. I bought the one without the rubber as it was lighter.

GEEZE!!! Amazing!!! Excellent work!

Finally managed to highlight the trenches. Now it's just the craters to get right.

Attachment 15277

Attachment 15278

Attachment 15279

Attachment 15280
    Last edited by Wombat; 06-20-2011 at 14:03.

Aren't the craters carved in 3D??? Are they deceiving my eyes???, Dear Wombat, this must be a 3D mat, no doubt about it. Or you are a genious painter. Simply awesome.

Inspiring, Great job sir !!!

Thumbs up Hand-painted mat/map.

Jörgen!

You are a true artist! That is very nice!

Rich

Just when I thought you had designed the perfect hand painted mat, you top all previous efforts with some gorgeous highlights. Nice work!

Lugz

gstealer

Thats some amazing workmanship.

Don't suppose you have any tutorials on how you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by gstealer View Post
    Thats some amazing workmanship.

Don't suppose you have any tutorials on how you do it?
    I thought of it too late and didn't take any photos while painting it.

But maybe i could make a tutorial if I painted the back too? Was thinking about painting that side the other way, as the KotA maps for Mission 4 and 5. The frontline 1,2 meters (about 4') wide, the attackers side 0,4 meters (about 16") deep, no mans land 0,6 meters (about 24") deep and the defenders side 0,8 meters (about 32") deep.

Marvellous job! I'm jealous

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    I thought of it too late and didn't take any photos while painting it.

But maybe i could make a tutorial if I painted the back too? Was thinking about painting that side the other way, as the KotA maps for Mission 4 and 5. The frontline 1,2 meters (about 4') wide, the attackers side 0,4 meters (about 16") deep, no mans land 0,6 meters (about 24") deep and the defenders side 0,8 meters (about 32") deep.
    Oh yes please!

That would be great!

petitbilbo

I'm going away for a two week holiday on monday (), but after that I'll see what I can do.

How do you post a "How to..." in the "How To" section, by the way? Anyone know?

(I love the new smilies! )

/Jorgen

good job well done

Superb! Love the craters and no-man's land area!

I was just wondering if painting a sheet would do the trick. Your idea wins! I am so making one of these, great work mate!

Dave

Jorgen, it's funny you say that you're not happy with the shell craters, as looking at the photos I thought the craters were what really stood out (almost literally it seems) as the best detail of your work. I would be interested to see more pics once you finish highlighting the trenches as I am having a hard time visualizing what that would look like.

Great work!

As you were.

I just saw the further pics with the highlighted trenches. Superb!

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Beautifully done, most impressive!

Outstanding job! Will you write a How to article? It looks really good

Edit: I found your answer already. I look forward to your article
    Last edited by Dan-Sam; 08-29-2011 at 03:39. Reason: update

Hello Jorgan, Very,Very Nice work. I don't know which I like better, yours or WOW mat. I'm leaning towards yours. Love the 3-D
    effect. As someone mentioned, a Tutorial on how to, would be Great.
    Thanks for sharing this. Very talented.

Lou,
    Fabric Flyer

That is an awesome job on your mat. Thanks for sharing the photos and ideas with us.

Missed this post previously.
    Outstanding work Jörgen.
    Don

Wombat so how much to in on the bottom line for this company. Could make he hundreds of dollars.

Fellas, if you look to the left on the 'Home' page you will see there is a section for 'How to's'. Here is the link anyway;

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/con...ted-gaming-mat

Took me a while to find it initially too I haven't yet, but I am going to make one like (and hopefully nearly as good) Wombat's when I have time and can find the right material.

Dave

Excellent work,my compliments sir.

Thanks! Yes, as Dave said I made a "How to" to be found in the top left corner of the Home screen.
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/con...ted-gaming-mat

/Jörgen

Still the best Looking scrath build of playin mats. Hazah for a well made mat.

Joe_Black

Great effort!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast