Ares Games

Thread: DoW and the Battle of Britain

Default DoW and the Battle of Britain

Up until now I have restricted myself to WWI WoW for a couple of reasons - I think the planes are more interesting and the history of early flight is a fascination for me, and looking after the bank balance. For WoW any plane I could get was cool and I'd figure out how to make scenarios with them later.

I recently picked up Bader's Hurricane from an LGS on a whim and I have decided I'd quite like to explore DoW from a more focused point of view (somehow resisting my collector OCD which may well kick in later but not at the moment!). I have always had an interest in the Battle of Britain because a relative of mine flew in it and because the planes are fairly iconic. I have never had much interest in the pacific theatre of war or other aspects of the conflict in Europe.

I don't know all that much about the BoB and have done some reading recently to see what I could learn. I am keen to get minis and play some small WWII battles but I don't want to do repaints. The minis available that are relevant to the BoB seem to be the Hurricane, Spitfire, Me109 and Stuka.

Two questions:

(1) Of the available miniatures for those four planes, which pilots/paint jobs would be BoB specific or relevant?
    (2) Which boxed set(s) would I need to play them?

Cheers
    Ian

Ian,
    There's some book reviews in the hobbies section to add to your reading, I picked them all up very cheap from Amazon so hopefully they won't break the bank!

For the RAF only Falowski's Spitfire and Baders Hurricane are in the right colours. http://www.fritzthefox.com/british_camo_guide.html

For the Luftwaffe the Stuka is the green german one (can't rem the pilot) and you can probably get away with all 3 Bf109s - certainly Molders and Galland, I'd check out Balthazar though.

DoW will cover most of this, Fire from the Sky for the Stukas.

If you want to fill the gaps AiM do the Defiant, Bf110, Do17, Ju88 and He111, although you can source most of them from elsewhere. If you search under Ju88 you find a thread comparing many of them as well as my blog.

For the bombers we need RoD which is still to come but there will be an official model for the He111 + Bf110 and the cards for the Do17 are also in there.

cheers,

Dave.

Excellent, many thanks Dave

Thumbs up DoW and the Battle of Britain

Ian!

Here are some shots to motivate you!

rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_2864-2.jpg   100_2859.jpg  

Awesome pics What happened next? lol

Richard, LINK ME TO THE HE-111 MINIS SUPPLIER PLEASE! We've been restricted to DoW dogfights between 109's and Spits so far (yesterday's battle was a blast for me flying as Molder's) but adding 2-engine bombers would be awesome!

Andrzej!

Those are Minicraft 144 kits! If you are going to use the official minis you will have to be patient! There are some nice 1:200 scale manufactures. see links!

Rich

http://www.angelfire.com/nj4/armamen.../resin09mm.htm

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...Bridgford-base

Ian!

Normally the HE-111`s get shot up and go down! I have five He`s their codes are all off planes brought down during the BOB!

rich