Ares Games

View Poll Results: Do you play WoW or Dow with altitude rules?

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I play with altitude rules

83 48.82%
  • No, I don't use them

49 28.82%
  • I use them sometimes (explain when)

38 22.35%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you play WoW or Dow with altitude rules?

Sometimes. When I'm playing a more realistic scenario, that i want to look like real life i use it. When im playing test games or i want the game to be short i play without it.
    Thanks

Nick

our group doesnt use altitude rules. at 1st it was because the rules were a bit unclear but now its to speed up gameplay. the evasive maneuvering tends to draw out the dogfights. we figure since our "combat" is by mutual consent it doesnt really add anything to the level of fun. when we start doing more scenarios well probably use it more.

I was very eager to incorporate altitude rules for all the very good reasons stated above, but having played a quite a few games both with and without them, I've ended up coming to the same conclusion as the local WoW group did, who've been playing for years: They don't really make the game any more fun. And they definitely slow things down.

One of the real appeals about WoW for me is that it doesn't try to be a flight simulator. I've already got those on my computer, and they're (in the voice of the rude Frenchman from Monty Python) reaaally naaaise.

I want WoW/WoG to be a fun, accessible, quick tactical game with airplane miniatures that streamlines all the headaches of more "in depth" games and instead focuses on having fun. I personally feel like it really nails it.

We do allow both Immelman (straight/reverse/straight) and Split-S (stall/reverse/straight) in our "no altitude" rules, and we ignore collision damage for overlapping bases. It's honestly working out great for us...

With altitude rules as often as possible. Game without altitude rules very often turns into Immelman's festival...

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mark
    Sorties Flown

I've only had the game for a couple of weeks. I'm trying to get my family and son and daughter in law to play. I want to keep it simple enough to get their attention. Ultimately, I'd like to play advanced rules. I'm not sure if we'll ever get to Fly Higher.

I play with altitude rules when the other players are sufficiently experienced.

I always use altitude , even with new players. It,s not fiying with out it

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mike
    Sorties Flown

I'm new at WGS also, and haven't flown a mission yet, so didn't vote. But given the aircraft I'm collecting and the missions I would like to fly, I plan on using altitude on most of my games.

I'm buying mostly fighters and fighter-bombers, and would like to play low level airfield raids. Most of these low level missions would seem to be playable with four altitude levels, so I wouldn't need to use the "flying higher" options. But I would like to use the airfield and takeoff rules, to have some defenders start on the ground with engines running.

Sounds like a plan Mike. I would advocate trying a few dry run take off and landings before getting into a serious game just to get the hang of not pranging your kite.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mike
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Sounds like a plan Mike. I would advocate trying a few dry run take off and landings before getting into a serious game just to get the hang of not pranging your kite.

Rob.
    Understood Rob, especially landings. In the game, as in real life, it's a lot easier to get these things off the ground, than it is to get them back to earth safely!

Right now I do only when I play solo. I am still teaching the wife and daughter so we do not use altitude yet, but eventually will.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mike
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by CAPTKIRK406 View Post
    Right now I do only when I play solo. I am still teaching the wife and daughter so we do not use altitude yet, but eventually will.
    I see what you mean, Kirk. If I could convince the wife and/or daughter to play, we would probably stick to fighter vs fighter dogfights with the basic rules. But playing more veteran wargamers, I would likely introduce altitude as early as possible.

Sometimes use a simplified system of ‘up on, down one’ using the climb/dive cards. Adds in an element of altitude but keeps it simple, makes a big difference when using 2 seaters.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Sometimes use a simplified system of ‘up on, down one’ using the climb/dive cards. Adds in an element of altitude but keeps it simple, makes a big difference when using 2 seaters.
    I sometimes use Climb = 1 peg up, Dive = 2 pegs down, Immelmann = no change, Split-S = one peg down.

Altitude should always be easy to lose, but very hard to gain (it took some WW1 kites half an hour to "hard climb" up to combat altitudes, but only a minute or so to plummet back to Earth!)
    I do lose the capability differences in this simplified system, as all planes become the same...I've tried making two-seaters do each move TWICE to get the same effect (ie 2 Climb cards to gain one peg, 2 Dive cards to lose 2 pegs - losing 1 peg via a single Dive is not allowed) but this still makes all Scouts the same, and all two-seaters the same.

I'm actually happy to use the Altitude rules as written, climb counters and all - I just find that often my opponents are not.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

All I can say is they worked in my favor tonight - heavily damaged and running for home I was able to duck into a cloud then climb above the waiting Huns when I emerged and get clean away!
    giving Jerry the slip.jpg

I often find the overdive very useful when running for home as well Stuart, especially if your next move after the sequence is completed is a turn. The pursuing aircraft then are wrong footed and must decide whether to turn first or overdive in which case they are usually heading away from you. If you have enough altitude to repeat this, it usually means you get over the lines before you are caught.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12