Ares Games
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Custom Wings of War Terrain - free files!

Vanidil

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    I have found somewhere that will do the 8x3 for £56 and for x10 that goes down to £45. Anyone interested?

Excellent graphics! Now I just need a similar English Channel/Dover 8x3...
    Black Knight, I was thinking the same thing. An English Channel/Dover 4 X 6 would complete the package. I guess I'm never satisfied . . .

Users Country Flag

Name
    Lorenzo
    Sorties Flown

Hi Vanidil,
    in: Files World War II Game Aides
    you can find 2 maps for Dover...
    I'm uploading also one for pacific scenario...

Have a nice MAP

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    I have found somewhere that will do the 8x3 for £56 and for x10 that goes down to £45. Anyone interested?

Excellent graphics! Now I just need a similar English Channel/Dover 8x3...
    i WAS HOPING FOR A 6X4

paraca

Excellents!!!
    I downloaded all maps. But... It's possible to add in "no man's land" some trenches? this would add more realism.

I am not an expert but if you have a software editing package for that type of file - sure.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Michael
    Sorties Flown

I found this place,
    http://www.dominiondisplay.com/index.php?act=viewProd
    Thay do banners in pvc, and would do a 4x6 for around £23 my only concern would be durabilaty of the material
    comments?

I don't know about a playing surface, but I'm interested in getting one done for Conventions here in G.B.
    I could send it out to organisers as and when needed.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dave
    Sorties Flown

I am a graphics professional, here in the US I checked a price for a durable map, i.e. canvas or vinyl that is UV and waterproof at 3 x 7 feet. $365...

Users Country Flag

Name
    Michael
    Sorties Flown

need to look into it more but that price cant be right...

The file just needs to be handed over to a print shop, but I had mine printed on vinyl by a friend at FedEx / Kinkos.

Since he offered to do me a favor *wink wink*, it didn't cost me anything. I have no doubt it would be very expensive to print off the whole thing in vinyl, but the finished product looks gorgeous, and it rolls up easily for storage. I think that vinyl is the most durable option available, but you also have to consider that my initial design was around 8'x3.5' — that's a lot of material! The smaller 4'x6' version would be much more affordable, but still expensive.

As much as I appreciate people taking interest in my design, Andrea & Ares Games will be releasing some very nice gaming mats for Wings of Glory in Q1 of 2013. They don't feature a "no man's land" like mine does, but I'm a diehard WWI fan, so a blasted moonscape was important to me for aesthetic reasons.

Unhappy Game mat

Quote Originally Posted by Lugburz View Post
    The file just needs to be handed over to a print shop, but I had mine printed on vinyl by a friend at FedEx / Kinkos.

Since he offered to do me a favor *wink wink*, it didn't cost me anything. I have no doubt it would be very expensive to print off the whole thing in vinyl, but the finished product looks gorgeous, and it rolls up easily for storage. I think that vinyl is the most durable option available, but you also have to consider that my initial design was around 8'x3.5' — that's a lot of material! The smaller 4'x6' version would be much more affordable, but still expensive.

As much as I appreciate people taking interest in my design, Andrea & Ares Games will be releasing some very nice gaming mats for Wings of Glory in Q1 of 2013. They don't feature a "no man's land" like mine does, but I'm a diehard WWI fan, so a blasted moonscape was important to me for aesthetic reasons.
    The new game mats are all very modern with no trench or bombed areas I would love a copy of the original map that was listed with the moon scape but I have not been able to down load it at 6'x4' and now the possibility of getting it printed makes it even more of a hart break if anyone has this map at 6'x4' and would be willing to send it out on a disk it would be most welcome

Kev

Quote Originally Posted by FLt Brown View Post
    The new game mats are all very modern with no trench or bombed areas I would love a copy of the original map that was listed with the moon scape but I have not been able to down load it at 6'x4' and now the possibility of getting it printed makes it even more of a hart break if anyone has this map at 6'x4' and would be willing to send it out on a disk it would be most welcome

Kev
    Hey there Kev! If you check out the links on the first page of the thread, you will see that the files are still available for download. Originally, they had been uploaded to MediaFire -- but once the site was removed, I was contacted by Keith in the hopes of re-hosting the files on the WingsofWar.org server. All of the links should point to the right file (just tested downloading the 6x4 copy).

Be warned: the files are extremely large (lots of little detail!), so it might take a while. To anyone who's printed out a copy, you will know it's been worth the wait *heh*

Keith also contacted me about the possibility of offering these through his webstore, and I gave my blessings. I have no clue where that venture might lead, but I guess it's a possibility.

-----------

EDIT: I should mention that I never got around to adding trench lines to these maps (it wouldn't be difficult), largely because I wanted the map design to be "flexible" in respect to designating targets. Obviously, trench lines remained fixed for the large part of the war, but with a blank canvas approach, trench target cards can be placed where ever you want. It just never occurred to me.

Default finding the map??

Hi I am sorry but I can not find the link to the map at 6'x4' it is just not my day I must be jinxed when trying to get a copy of this

Can you please please put me onto the link??

Regards Kev

Hey there Kev! If you check out the links on the first page of the thread, you will see that the files are still available for download. Originally, they had been uploaded to MediaFire -- but once the site was removed, I was contacted by Keith in the hopes of re-hosting the files on the WingsofWar.org server. All of the links should point to the right file (just tested downloading the 6x4 copy).

Be warned: the files are extremely large (lots of little detail!), so it might take a while. To anyone who's printed out a copy, you will know it's been worth the wait *heh*

Keith also contacted me about the possibility of offering these through his webstore, and I gave my blessings. I have no clue where that venture might lead, but I guess it's a possibility.

-----------

EDIT: I should mention that I never got around to adding trench lines to these maps (it wouldn't be difficult), largely because I wanted the map design to be "flexible" in respect to designating targets. Obviously, trench lines remained fixed for the large part of the war, but with a blank canvas approach, trench target cards can be placed where ever you want. It just never occurred to me.

Kev, I assume you want the one without logos. Here ya go: http://www.wingsofwar.org/keegan/SMA...mat_NOLOGO.tif

Default Download no Joy

Kev, I assume you want the one without logos. Here ya go: http://www.wingsofwar.org/keegan/SMA...mat_NOLOGO.tif
    Hi thanks for posting the link I have tried for the last week at different times on the different days to down load the map just in case it was the server but I have had no joy at all in getting this to open or save to my computer. I do not know what it is as I have downloaded large files in the past and have had one through today at 12meg that came in with no problem?

Any help would be welcome?

Regards Kev

Quote Originally Posted by FLt Brown View Post
    Hi thanks for posting the link I have tried for the last week at different times on the different days to down load the map just in case it was the server but I have had no joy at all in getting this to open or save to my computer. I do not know what it is as I have downloaded large files in the past and have had one through today at 12meg that came in with no problem?

Any help would be welcome?

Regards Kev
    Hmmm. I'm puzzled. I just clicked the link above, using my iPhone (which has never downloaded or viewed the file at all), and the image started downloading on my phone (even over a 3G connection) without problem. I'm really stumped. The files are hosted on this very website, so it would stand to reason that if "wingsofwar.org" is online, the file should download.

My only suggestion: try to have a friend or coworker download the image and burn it to a disk for you. Try a different computer? Perhaps try a different local network (if you have a laptop). Again, my sincerest apologies — but the link is still working; there must be something else gumming up the works.

To anyone reading this, could you click the link Kev quoted above, that I wrote earlier, and let us know if it works for you?

To anyone reading this, could you click the link Kev quoted above, that I wrote earlier, and let us know if it works for you?
    I downloaded it O.K. but when I tried to open it it told me that the file was corrupted.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I downloaded it O.K. but when I tried to open it it told me that the file was corrupted.
    Rob.
    OK - thanks Rob. This might explain a few things. I'll see what I can do about replacing the file on Keith's server. Something must have gotten screwed up when it uploaded. My apologies to anyone who tried to download the 4' x 6' file without logos. I'll make sure to test the others this weekend.

pmerighi

The file is too big 528 MB, this is the reason that you can not download.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by pmerighi View Post

Regards
    I would only see this being the case if the person downloading the file lacked the necessary space on their hard drive. Unfortunately, a high quality graphic at 300 dpi, spanning 4' ft by 6' ft isn't going result a small image. Once printed, its marvelous, since all the detail is still there without looking blurry or distorted. I work everyday but Monday, so I may not get the chance to properly tackle the situation until then.

Quote Originally Posted by pmerighi View Post

Regards
    I would only see this being the case if the person downloading the file lacked the necessary space on their hard drive. Unfortunately, a high quality graphic at 300 dpi, spanning 4' ft by 6' ft isn't going result a small image. Once printed, its marvelous, since all the detail is still there without looking blurry or distorted. I work everyday but Monday, so I may not get the chance to properly tackle the situation until then.

lacychrisvain

Great Job Keegan I you!

Wow. Just wow. If it weren't for the $300+ pricetag this would be my answer for the game mat.

Quote Originally Posted by sparty View Post
    Wow. Just wow. If it weren't for the $300+ pricetag this would be my answer for the game mat.
    $300 ?

Rob.

So I was busy running errands on my day off (Monday) and I didn't get the chance to test out the links to the map files. I'm working at the library right now, but I can verify — without a doubt — that the link for the 4'x6' (no logo) map file works .

I've just downloaded the image (all 528mb!) onto my work computer, and I just opened the graphic using, of all things, "Windows Picture & Fax Viewer" [the default image preview software on the Windows OS]. Having never downloaded the image to this computer, without the benefit of a program like Adobe Photoshop / Gimp / etc, it's safe to say the link (and the file) work alright.

Any complications people have opening the file are probably related to either:
    A) Their internet service provider limiting the download in some capacity
    B) Their computer struggling to cope with a 500+ MB file
    C) Lack of local storage on their hard drive to save such a large graphic

I will test out some of the other links. For now, this one works just fine: http://www.wingsofwar.org/keegan/SMA...mat_NOLOGO.tif

-----

EDIT: It would seem the 3'x8' image file is unable to be previewed. I'm not sure if this problem is due to software limitations by Windows Picture Preview, or whether the file is corrupt. I will confirm this one at home and re-upload if there is in fact an error.
    Last edited by Lugburz; 12-11-2012 at 16:07. Reason: found new information

I will have to test downloading and opening the 3'x8' ft files at home, as they are definitely "too large" to be previewed using Windows Picture & Fax Viewer. I can however confirm that all of the files download, at the correct MB size, and do not appear to be corrupt. Any issues people have obtaining these are likely related to your internet service provider, your hard drive space, or the lack of appropriate software for viewing.

For interested parties who do not own Adobe Photoshop, a free image editing alternative would be GIMP: http://www.gimp.org/

Having just downloaded the 6x4 (it's the "Small" map so I think it's 6x4) I'm wondering if anyone in the UK has so far got one printed and, if so, what are the details? Incidentally, the download was problem free and took about 20 minutes.

Looking at the map on the Windows photo viewer, it looks great....congratulations on a super effort.

Doug

Yup!

Small = 4'x6'
    Large = 3'x8'

Well done, Lugburz!

I got the 3X5 one okay. Thanks Lugburz!

Got both ok. Going to the printers soon....I hope...as long as swmbo doesn't find out!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

Hi Lugburz,

These maps look really, really stunning. If you're still taking requests, could I make one?

Would it be possible to make a map with an urban center at one end? I'm thinking it would make an excellent map for bombing runs (I play World War II), using factories and whatnot actually printed on the map as the targets. Although, the target cards could always be placed on the map anway.

The urban center doesn't have to be at the extreme end of the map, but maybe something like 80% down the length of the map would work. That would give bombers a chance to turn around without flying off the end of the field.

Greensman

Firstly, very, very many thanks to Lugburz and to LingSter for their outstanding work.

Secondly, a bit of information for those in the UK who may be interested in getting one of these play mats printed.

I ordered a copy of 8ft by 3ft map from Dominion Display (http://www.dominiondisplay.com) (Bradford) through their web site - cost £50.10 for 500gsm Bannergrade PVC, Options: Size - 914mm x 2439mm Finish - Trim to size.

The service was first rate. I sent them an email before ordering to confirm that they were able to print the image as a banner and they downloaded the file direct from this thread and sent me back an email the same day confirming that there would be no problem. I placed the order on Friday and the banner was delivered on the following Wednesday.

The resulting banner is first rate – the printing is excellent, the material lies flat on the table and the colours are good!.

My only slight reservation is that the postage options are very limited – the cheapest was a courier service at £18, but this may be part of their cost model – ie, if the postage was less you may end up paying more for the printing. I have mentioned to them if they could offer a cheaper ‘snail mail’ service it would probably be appreciated. Even so, I think £50 for a play mat of this quality and size is jolly good value. We used it in a seven player game the other night and everybody thought it looked excellent and added a lot to the game so again, a big thumbs up to Lugburz and LingSter!

(Lugburg - I used the 8ft x 3ft file with the logo, as I couldn't get the file without the logo to open after it downloaded)

We are all waiting to see the first photos of your mat in use now that you have set us all agog Pete.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Greensman View Post

I ordered a copy of 8ft by 3ft map from Dominion Display (http://www.dominiondisplay.com) (Bradford) through their web site - cost £50.10 for 500gsm Bannergrade PVC, Options: Size - 914mm x 2439mm Finish - Trim to size.
    Looks like they have a sale on at the moment. Using their quick calculator a 6 x 4 banner of 500gsm bannergrade PVC trimmed to size is under 27 quid. If that's right then it looks very good value for money.

Chris

Yes, I like the look of a 900mm by 1200mm one at £15 was very reasonable.

Pics please!

Greensman

Don't forget the postage and vat - the 8ftx3ft I ordered was actually only £26.75 but the postage and vat amounted to £23.35. Not that I have any complaints - I still think it was great value!
    Now.... if you live in or near Bradford and could call in to pick it up.............

Actually, I should have grabbed some photo's but it was a pretty hectic evening with 4 jolly good sorties. Having said that, Lugburz's great photos in the second post of this thread pretty well show it all....even the planes look surprisingly similar!

Quote Originally Posted by Greensman View Post
    Don't forget the postage and vat - the 8ftx3ft I ordered was actually only £26.75 but the postage and vat amounted to £23.35. Not that I have any complaints - I still think it was great value!
    Sneaky, but if you are happy with it... that's what's really important. Just refreshed my memory, and I nabbed this file a while back.
    Does your banner have a glossy/matt finish?

Greensman

It has a matt finish - Also, the back is slightly textured so it doesn't tend to slip about much on the table, either.

That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the 'heads-up' Pete. Just need to weigh up a few options, but this looks like my favourite atm.

Just as an update (sorry for double posting)... Got 2x 900mm x 1200mm which isn't far off the 8ft x 3ft just divided into two (for those with smaller tables).

One of which is going to Baron Rolf (which he doesn't know yet) shhhhhhhh don't tell the swmbo!!!

Users Country Flag

Name
    David
    Sorties Flown

Awesome terrain maps!!!

Just arrived! Thanks Dominion Print!!! Two 4x3 mats, one for me and one for Mark. Price was £45.00 inc postage.

Name:  IMAG0206.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  91.8 KB

The ends are curled up a bit, but they will flatten over time.

Name:  IMAG0207.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  90.3 KB

Haven't tried putting them side by side yet, as one is Marks present for his Stag-do. I bet, that it would look reasonably good making a 6x4 out of both.

Greensman

Just weigh it down with a couple of full beer glasses.......as it's plastic, there's no need to worry about spillages...... although the planes might get a bit sticky!

(I hope this isn't what you're going to be doing on your mate Mark's stag do?)

Arrow Copyrights

Yup!

Small = 4'x6'
    Large = 3'x8'

ask a print shop to do these, they said i would need a paper stateing that they would not be sued for copyrights, got any ideas on what they want from me?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Bart
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by boomerpete53 View Post
    ask a print shop to do these, they said i would need a paper stateing that they would not be sued for copyrights, got any ideas on what they want from me?
    Just write a brief note that says that you are stating that you have been given permission by the creator/artist/author to reproduce the image and that you and not the printshop would be held liable in the case of any possible claim of copyright infringement.

Or find another printshop.

Quote Originally Posted by boomerpete53 View Post
    Well, that's a bit odd. We're you looking to print out the version with logos? The Wings of War typeface is open source, and I already had a nod of appreciation from Andrea a LONG while ago over on Boardgamegeek. Anyhow, I'd say you should either show them the first page of THIS thread (where I give full permission for people to print the file), or find another print shop. At my library job, we have banners printed all the time with our logo on it, and they've never questioned our intentions. I wish you luck!

Drifter

How would one go about making these style of maps. I am intrested i making a few for my group and would love to do things such as coast lines and airfields or artillery positions

I got the 6'X4' mat printed. It looks fantastic, it's on banner material capable of withstanding the weather & UV.
    Got it for the larger games!
    Name:  SAM_2554.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  155.7 KB
    Many Thanks Keegan

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast