Ares Games

View Poll Results: How many of yoiu guys and gals use house rules?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • All the time

23 41.07%
  • None of the time

5 8.93%
  • Some of the time

28 50.00%

Thread: House Rules

Default House Rules

So on the forum we all talk about house rules to enhance the game. So how many of you guys and gals use house rules on a regular basis?

We tend to use house rules mainly when we put scenarios together.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Gino
    Sorties Flown

I am so sorry for that but I have no time to study/think and apply any house rule.

G.

We use a fly off the table rule allways, [ lose a turn then come back where you left] its called pulling a Darell.lol .

Our house rules have more to do with our campaign than with the actual game.

petitbilbo

Somethings Don´t go with out House rules.

I try to be a purist in the rules matter. Try to stick to them strictly, but it may be interesting to include some of them in the future.

I use house rules for collisions (cutting the A deck) and simpler altitude (1 climb/dive card = 1 level as nobody I play with wants to fiddle about with climb counters). Shooting down one level (height advantage) counts 1 damage card at any range instead of close range only.
    Last edited by Albert Ross; 05-30-2011 at 14:22.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
    We use a fly off the table rule allways, [ lose a turn then come back where you left] its called pulling a Darell.lol .
    Good idea. Applies to pilots who climb above level 3 too. Return to base and start again from there. Maybe draw a damage card to decide how long you are out for (only count cards 1 thru 3)

I tend to be a purist when introducing the game to new players. Then I like to mess around. I often use a house rule to limit close-range jams (only the first card drawn counts for jams - you shouldn't jam more often at close range). We sometimes record damage and re-use the cards, shuffling them back into the deck. (Got 5 explosions in one game that way!) We have been known to tinker with the fire and smoke rules too, limiting them or making them more dangerous depending if we are feeling friendly or realistic. Unofficial planes are also welcome, especially if they are needed for a particular scenario.

I voted 'sometimes' for house rules, but we actually play with them more often than not.

(Our house rule for going off the edge - if we are feeling friendly - is to 'scroll' the battle mat a few inches to give a bit more space. The air doesn't end at the edge of the table, after all!)

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Use house rules, generally, most of the time. But, I voted for All of the time because we use them more than not.

We talk about talking about them, but never seem to do it.

All depends on who is playing and what.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Depends...on the scenario and wether we're really up to try something a bit different..so, sometimes...

We use the CanCon House Rules - with simplified altitude - all the time.

When doing specific scenarios for ground attack, we make up Flak rules on the spot. Everything from "flying within a ruler length of the trenches at altitude 4 or less causes an A class hit if enemy, B if friendly" to the RAW.

I have used HRs mostly to fill the gaps in the RAW, particularly for air-to-ground actions where the RAW seem quick add ons. Other times to give unofficial planes the proper attributes that the RAW don't cover.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

No house rule gets used all of the time, but rarely do we play without some form of house rule in effect.

Only some of the time.

Collisions are our biggest house rule. Collisions only happen if pegs overlap not bases overlapping.

Here's to them what are like us. Damn few and they're all dead.

Quote Originally Posted by rhodie80 View Post
    Collisions are our biggest house rule. Collisions only happen if pegs overlap not bases overlapping.
    This is probably the most used house rule. I quickly found even with this collisions happen too often when not playing with altitude. Most of the games I run people don't want to use altitude so I'll use the collision cards that reduce the chance down to 1/3. Once I can convince people to play with altitude then it will just peg and base overlap.

Some of the time, usually in campaign play. No Aim bonus for WGS multi-seat aircraft gunners is one we are using.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    This is probably the most used house rule. I quickly found even with this collisions happen too often when not playing with altitude. Most of the games I run people don't want to use altitude so I'll use the collision cards that reduce the chance down to 1/3. Once I can convince people to play with altitude then it will just peg and base overlap.
    Yes Peter this is one we use at our Club games that do not use Altitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post

yeah, i found that collisions happen way to much even with that rule as well. my fix is to only have collisions when the peg is overlapping the red dot on the card. makes collisions rare which seems to match what ive come across in my readings.

another frequent house rule i use with our group is to give both the Halberstadt CL.II and Hannover CL.III 360 coverage. this was after seeing pics of how high up the mounting rings extend and that both types had a hoop mounted on the top with to deflect the gun barrel so as not to shoot off the propeller tips. however, also because of said hoop, i dont allow the the rear gun to shoot at the same target as the front gun under the rationale it would prevent the rear gunner from lining up on whatever the pilot was lining the aircraft up on.

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    another frequent house rule i use with our group is to give both the Halberstadt CL.II and Hannover CL.III 360 coverage. this was after seeing pics of how high up the mounting rings extend and that both types had a hoop mounted on the top with to deflect the gun barrel so as not to shoot off the propeller tips. however, also because of said hoop, i dont allow the the rear gun to shoot at the same target as the front gun under the rationale it would prevent the rear gunner from lining up on whatever the pilot was lining the aircraft up on.
    You can add to that list Phillip - and it could be classed an 'official house rule' as it has already been ratified by Andrea and will hopefully be included in the next rule/scenario release whenever that will be - anyway here's what he had to say on the matter:
    A: Andrea:- This is the rule I wrote in the next, still unpublished official supplement:
    Roland C.II/C.IIa, Bristol F2B Fighter, Halberstadt CL.II, Hannover CL.IIIa - altitude and arc's of fire.
    This rule can be used if the altitude rules are also in use. These planes have higher rear machine guns that can be turned 360°: use the arc of fire on the card/base with the blind spot for targets at the same or lower altitude but their rear machine guns can ignore both the blind spot and the firing arc when firing at targets at higher altitude..."
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...ard-base-error
    Last edited by flash; 03-14-2018 at 00:45.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    You can add to that list Phillip - and it could be classed an 'official house rule' as it has already been ratified by Andrea and will hopefully be included in the next rule/scenario release whenever that will be - anyway here's what he had to say on the matter:

i use it even without altitude for the halberstadt and hannover. id probably use it for aircraft at the same level even with altitude judging by what the mounts looked like on them sine it was clear the gun could rotate level across the wing necessitating the deflector hoop in the 1st place. i think it makes a nice balancing feature vs many of the entente 2 seaters having A guns in front, back, or both.

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    i use it even without altitude for the halberstadt and hannover. id probably use it for aircraft at the same level even with altitude judging by what the mounts looked like on them sine it was clear the gun could rotate level across the wing necessitating the deflector hoop in the 1st place. i think it makes a nice balancing feature vs many of the entente 2 seaters having A guns in front, back, or both.
    I think that's reasonable for those particular machines too Phillip - Use the rear guns marked arcs for aircraft at lower levels; when firing at the same level the arc is opened up to all but the front gun arc (using that as the rear guns blind spot to the front) with a 360 arc to anything at higher altitude.

"He is wise who watches"