Ares Games

Thread: Using Captured Planes

Default Using Captured Planes

I was flicking through some of the planes [cards] and saw a Sopwith Camel painted up in Central Empire colours.

did the Allies every use captured Central Empire planes?

Cheers
    GW

not very clued up on the WWI planes/pilots etc....

I am not sure but I think the normal way was to use captured airplanes without repainting them for spying missions.

Actually it was not that common to use enemy aircraft in combat because the silhoette is usually recognized before any markings and you are likely to get shot at accidently. However there are documented cases of pilots flying captured aircraft to "RUB IT IN" as it were, for a mission or two with oversized markings emblazoned on them for protection.
    Most of the photos of captured aircraft with new markings are actually being used to test their flight characteristics in safe areas against new aircraft, or in training new pilots.

I know that the Germans used this ploy with tanks and infantry dressed as either British or U.S troops.

In WWII captured Tanks were used by both the Germans and the Russians during the Eastern front Campaign. mostly early war when the German Blitzkrieg had destroyed alot of the Russian Armour. It was the lend lease agreement that help the Russians hold the line till they could get the T-34 factories back up and running.

Also those companies that used Captured vehicles/Armour also used over sized crosses so German planes and other armour would not shoot at them.

I guess I want to do the Captured Sopwith Camel is due in part to the WoW card and also the info I found on the pilot as well.

Cheers
    GW

There is a book called 'Foreign Planes in the Service of the Luftwaffe' by Jean Louis Roba Publisher: PEN & SWORD AVIATION Publication Date: 15/10/2009 . I have not read it. I have only seen it advertised. This may be of interest to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    There is a book called 'Foreign Planes in the Service of the Luftwaffe' by Jean Louis Roba Publisher: PEN & SWORD AVIATION Publication Date: 15/10/2009 . I have not read it. I have only seen it advertised. This may be of interest to you.

I'll check it out my birthday is coming up soon in December and my wife is looking at getting me a book so might see what there is on her book site for WWI or WWII planes, air combat etc....

Cheers
    GW

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kirk
    Sorties Flown

Captured planes were used occasionally, but there wasn't really any way for the side that captured them to support them. They'd use them a short while and discard them. In addition to using entire captured planes, sometimes enemy engines were used.

In the Osprey book "Spad XIII vs. Fokker D VII" it states that Jasta 23bs commander Lt d R Otto Kissenberth flew a captured Camel in preference to the Roland D VIs his unit was issued. This would be in May 1918.

Pooh

Quote Originally Posted by Pooh View Post
    In the Osprey book "Spad XIII vs. Fokker D VII" it states that Jasta 23bs commander Lt d R Otto Kissenberth flew a captured Camel in preference to the Roland D VIs his unit was issued. This would be in May 1918.

Pooh
    I've been checking that pilot out as he's going to be my first repaint.

Otto Kissenberth (February 26, 1893 – August 2, 1919) was a German flying ace of World War I. A mechanical engineer with an interest in aircraft design, Kissenberth joined the German Air Force in 1914. Toward the end of the year, he completed his training as a reconnaissance pilot and was posted to FA 8b. On 21 March 1915, he was wounded in action over the Vosges Mountains. When he recovered, he joined FA 9b on 8 July 1915, serving in Italy and on the Vosges front. In 1916, as a fighting pilot with KEK Einsisheim, Kissenberth was credited with his first three victories on 12 October. Not until the summer of the following year would he score again. This time, as a member of Jasta 16b, he downed two SPADs and flamed a balloon. On 4 August 1917, Kissenberth assumed command of Jasta 23b. One of only three German aces to wear glasses during the war, he most often flew an Albatros D.V with yellow and white Edelweiss painted on its fuselage. After scoring more than a dozen victories with this aircraft, he scored his final victory flying a captured Sopwith Camel. Less than two weeks later, on the evening of 29 May 1918, he was seriously injured when he crashed the British fighter. Returning to duty later that year, he served as commanding officer of the Schliessheim flying school until the end of the war. In 1919, Kissenberth was killed in a climbing accident while mountaineering in the Bavarian Alps.
    just a bit of stuff I have found.

Cheers
    GW

It's a pitty though that they do not describe how the captured camel looked and if he repainted it...

Quote Originally Posted by The Blue Baron View Post
    It's a pitty though that they do not describe how the captured camel looked and if he repainted it...

Cheers
    GW

Thx!!!

Maybe this will be my next repaint...

Quote Originally Posted by The Blue Baron View Post
    Thx!!!

Maybe this will be my next repaint...
    lol its going to be mine

Have a look at this site it will show you a better 3D version of the plane plus quite a few others.

Google 3D warehouse

Cheers
    GW

Users Country Flag

Name
    John
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for the site Greywolf.

Germans used captured planes at the front more often than the Allied. They both used them for tests or in schools, but most of the captured planes really used in fights were used by German pilots - hence the German Ni.11, Ni.17, Kissenberth's Camel and soon SPAD VII in the game. There is also a Turkish Ni.17 in Burning Drachens. A G.III two-engine bomber used by Belgian (for observation) will come soon, anyway.

Kissenberth's Camel is that one:

Here some decal for it by Microscale:

And a modeller's interpretation:

http://aviation-flash.air-nifty.com/...ffon-95e9.html

thx for that Andrea.

what scale are those decals?

I checked out their site it seems they don't have any 1/144th scale decals. I wish I could read Japanese/Chinese.

I'll have to do some googling to see what I can find out. my other project is going to be making Jasta 11 "The Flying Circus".

Cheers
    GW