Ares Games

View Poll Results: Do you use the Aim optional rule?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always

44 54.32%
  • Sometimes

17 20.99%
  • Never

20 24.69%

Thread: Do you use the Aim optional rule?

Default Do you use the Aim optional rule?

Do you normally use the "Aim" special rule when playing WoW?

We found it was just another thing to forget or confuse and that it didn't come up often enough to worry about. Also we generally use the small FoG flight boards and find the +1 damage slot is a perfect place for the airplane card to help identify each board!

Your thoughts?

Always. I think you should be rewarded for keeping the enemy in your sights over consecutive phases and it makes successful tailing even more effective, as it should be IMO.

I tend to use dice to mark models subject to this rule (matching pips), makes it easier to keep track of.

I know what you mean about keeping track of this special rule, it has definitely gone unnoticed occassionally.

However, we still always play using this rule. If we do forget to use it, we chalk it up to a momentary distraction of the pilot.

We always use it but it just doesn't come up that often. Maybe once or twice a game.

Tom

(((Sometimes, but we forget often. It is hard to concentrate on fight and thinking about special adventages )))

Sorry guys, I confound Aim rules and tailing rules. The truth is that we are using aim rules in every game.
    Last edited by Dan-Sam; 05-24-2011 at 23:23.

Always. I think it's a good rule and with the big cards easy to remember - However, I like the FoG small card (alway run out of space on the gaming board) and tend to use them the same way as Ginarley which messes things up a bit.

The only time I don't use this rule is when I am introducing the game to a novice and want to keep the rules flat basic.

Yes generally use it but it occurs very little.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Bartman View Post
    I know what you mean about keeping track of this special rule, it has definitely gone unnoticed occassionally.

However, we still always play using this rule. If we do forget to use it, we chalk it up to a momentary distraction of the pilot.
    Exactly! This is what usually happens in our play.

Pretty much always use it, unless we forget to "in the heat of battle". I figure that wargamers tend to be of average to above intelligence, so the argument that it "complicates" things unduly, doesn't hold much water around here. Now, given that the average age of gamers is... well... above average, I'd make allowances for not noticing the "+1" place on the aircraft control card or the fact that sometimes things slip our feeble, Alzheimer riddled brains, but... If my six-year old understands the rules, can play the game by himself and (frequently to my regret) kick some butt... I think an adult with (frequently) years worth of playing much more complicated games should be able to handle the "+1 Rule".

Just my opinion (but I have no shortage of those...)

Chris Maes

Users Country Flag

Name
    Steve
    Sorties Flown

None of or group use's it!! We just kill everything!!

No. Just adds more complication to the game, and my dad and I are simpletons when it comes to anything involving war.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Morten Broested
    Sorties Flown

Voted Yes, although we do not use the rule in the book, but my take on it, which is simply drawing an extra "B" card. It's simple, you simply count your damaga, you don't need the extra space on a console (and makes it easier to play without) and increases lethality, .

Always. It can make a difference. I already believe it takes to much time to shoot the plane down.

Always for pilots (rewards good positional play) but not for observers (they cannot predict what moves their pilot will make, and the recoil of the mobile gun(s) will make aiming more difficult)

Initially, I thought this was referring to 'Adjusting The Aim' for AA gun positions... which I never use & barely get the AA's out unless someone is 'Power Gaming' with DVII's (Baron Rolf knows what I mean lol)

I play +1's at shows, but not so much in smaller games. Baron Rolf & I are being swung towards the idea, as it speeds up the game.
    However, I would be less likely to want it in a game if I was playing Ace Skills + Altitude + Bombing, or any heavily objective based game at home.
    I would keep it as an optional rule, to be agreed with all players prior to a match.

Imagine 5 planes each, and a huge fur ball of planes on the mat... who shot who? who is tailing who? It can get rather confusing, unless you track it somehow.

My vote was 'Sometimes'.

Yeap! It increases firepower and rewards good pilots who can plan better to gain advantageous position.

I always try to use it. I know I've forgotten my share, must have been some bumpy air. I like the rule as it rewards a pilot's good flying (sometimes lucky) with a continued fire bonus.

When I run a game at a convention with over 10 people I won't use it as it can be a bit much to try to keep track of as a GM.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

So we use the +1 rule for tailing and firing from a higher altitude, but I was unaware of the AIM rule for 2nd and subsequent shots at the same target...seems like it would be somewhat of a record-keeping issue... (as others have mentioned)...

All the best,
    Matt

Well, the bookkeeping is handled by the cockpit board, so no real problem. As for remembering that you shot at someone the phase before, if you don't tell your target that, you obviously haven't been paying enough attention to shooting to get the +1
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Always, every game. The optional 'Disruption' rule can also negates the 'Aim' bonus. We have had a similar thread before, I know there are contrary views out there but my from my experience if you use 'Aim' you should also use 'Disruption' to balance the books.

Yes, it helps to shoot down the opposition.

It would be interesting to see the poll split by wars to see if the rule is used more by players running WGF, WGS, or perhaps it is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokhuah View Post
    It would be interesting to see the poll split by wars to see if the rule is used more by players running WGF, WGS, or perhaps it is the same.
    The Aim rule is more powerful in WGS because you get to add an A damage chit, which comes with the threat of special damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    The Aim rule is more powerful in WGS because you get to add an A damage chit, which comes with the threat of special damage.
    I was wondering if the WGS players use it less because of the potential impact as well as the already accelerated game play.

I was wondering if the WGS players use it less because of the potential impact as well as the already accelerated game play.
    WW2 combat was fast and furious, often with only a couple of bursts needed to dispatch your opponent so the threat of additional critical damage works well for that system.

The potential impact is why it is so useful.

It would be interesting to know for sure because some may find WGS already fast enough.

I tend to use it consistently when playing with experienced players: but I do a lot of teaching games, and its use there kind of depends on the time allotment-that is, I ask myself how much time is there to explain how many of the rules, and still get in a decent game or two?

It would be interesting to know for sure because some may find WGS already fast enough.
    It can make a difference when you are trying to take down a bomber with 30+ damage points.

ALWAYS! And since we play a lot of games involving two-seaters, with the opportunities for observers aiming their fire being so much more prevalent, we can hardly forget!

When you use the Aim rule are you also using the Disruption rule? this was brought up earlier in the thread by Carl but not sure how others are using the two. It makes sense to have both in play.

I wonder how many people use the Explosion Tournament Rule. I have an alternative house rule to remove some the randomness of an instant kill while keeping the actual counter in play. Maybe I should start a separate poll or discussion regarding that...

I us the aim rule for both WGF and WGS; as Carl said, it's a good way of taking down bombers. That said, it can be tough not to overrun a bomber
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

When you use the Aim rule are you also using the Disruption rule? this was brought up earlier in the thread by Carl but not sure how others are using the two. It makes sense to have both in play.

I wonder how many people use the Explosion Tournament Rule. I have an alternative house rule to remove some the randomness of an instant kill while keeping the actual counter in play. Maybe I should start a separate poll or discussion regarding that...
    Yes, we also use the Disruption rule.

As far as Explosions are concerned, we roll a die: 1-3 Explosion, 4 Wounded Pilot with Fire, 5 Fire, 6 Smoke.

We have similar die-roll results for all "Catastrophic Damage" such as exceeding a plane's Damage limit, Illegal Maneuvers and Wounded Pilot/Crew. Decisions are made and the game isn't slowed, but there's a degree of "salvation"... particularly welcome in campaign games!

Quote Originally Posted by BellMW54 View Post
    Yes, we also use the Disruption rule.

As far as Explosions are concerned, we roll a die: 1-3 Explosion, 4 Wounded Pilot with Fire, 5 Fire, 6 Smoke.

We have similar die-roll results for all "Catastrophic Damage" such as exceeding a plane's Damage limit, Illegal Maneuvers and Wounded Pilot/Crew. Decisions are made and the game isn't slowed, but there's a degree of "salvation"... particularly welcome in campaign games!
    You play with an interesting alternative to explosion. We use the Explosion counter like exploding dice. 6 damage and draw an additional counter of the same type.

Sometimes I use the explosion the same way as for the bombers; half damage, rounded up.

That way an explosion can't take down a fresh plane joining a furball, but can suddenly finish off one which has received significant damage already.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!