Ares Games

View Poll Results: Do you play with the explosion card in damage deck(s)?

Voters
377. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

300 79.58%
  • No

77 20.42%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Do you play with the explosion card in damage deck(s)?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    I'm curios about the 1/2 damage of the Boom card. Is that 1/2 of the planes original health? What if it has taken more that 1/2 from other sources already and then get the boom card?

We play it as 1/2 damage of the original, but could go either way.
    Everyone I know that use it play with a boom = half of original strength in damage. In games I run that's how I do it. At least if you get the boom in the first few turns you most likely can still fly on for a while. I've been Boomed on the 2nd movement phase of a game, not a fun experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    I'm curios about the 1/2 damage of the Boom card. Is that 1/2 of the planes original health? What if it has taken more that 1/2 from other sources already and then get the boom card?

We play it as 1/2 damage of the original, but could go either way.
    I personally would hope that it is always half of the original damage points (not "health" please - aircraft are not living beings!).

Otherwise, a heavily-damaged aircraft with only 2 damage points remaining, hit by a "boom" card, would only take 1 damage point, and survive the hit!
    How can a "boom" be reduced to causing just a single damage point? That's nuts!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Everyone I know that use it play with a boom = half of original strength in damage. In games I run that's how I do it. At least if you get the boom in the first few turns you most likely can still fly on for a while. I've been Boomed on the 2nd movement phase of a game, not a fun experience.
    We've had players who drew the Boom card on the first damage card.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I personally would hope that it is always half of the original damage points (not "health" please - aircraft are not living beings!).

Otherwise, a heavily-damaged aircraft with only 2 damage points remaining, hit by a "boom" card, would only take 1 damage point, and survive the hit!
    How can a "boom" be reduced to causing just a single damage point? That's nuts!
    Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    Yep, that was me too. 2nd movement card played, 1st shot, done. It was in a strange mini tournament of 3 games where the lowest score sat out the 2nd game, so I missed out on the next game too.

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    That's happened to me, on at least two occasions that I can remember (and possibly others which I've blanked out, owing to trauma!)

You can’t beat a good boom.... it’s a wonderful leveller. Doesn’t matter how good you are if the gaming gods have decided your time is up.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    You can’t beat a good boom.... it’s a wonderful leveller. Doesn’t matter how good you are if the gaming gods have decided your time is up.

tell me something i dont know lol [2018 intensifies]

If the flyer's are all newbies yes I remove the blow up card. If the flyer's have only 1 plane each I also remove the blow up card. Other wise I keep it in the deck.

Quote Originally Posted by nomore View Post
    If the flyer's are all newbies yes I remove the blow up card. If the flyer's have only 1 plane each I also remove the blow up card. Other wise I keep it in the deck.
    We play with the Boom card in but treat it as 5 points of damage. It means you generally don't have anyone excluded early from the game. Yes I do know that you can come back with a new aircraft but that's always a bit of a faff!

We use the Boom, but give it half damage rounded down.

The boom card is banned in all my games.
    I consider it as unfair and unbalanced, even with the half damage house rule.

My take as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry R. View Post
    My take as well.
    At all the convention games I now run the Boom is full. As said, a great leveller. Always a lot of fun when the Boom is revealed! I play with public damage at conventions too. Of course no one is out of my games and will get as many respawns as needed.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 03-01-2024 at 06:19.

I use them but limit damage to 1/2 total damage points rounded down.

I'm flexible about it.
    I normally use them. I definitely always use them in dogfight (fighter vs fighter) scenarios, I find they add flavour to the game.
    I remove them altogether if I'm introducing new players to the game or if I'm play-testing a scenario for a future game or experimenting with a variation on the rules.
    Sometimes I use the variant "half the total points" if I want to make sure a game lasts a little longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
    I use them but limit damage to 1/2 total damage points rounded down.
    That is what our group does as well.

I always play with the explosion card. That's a big part of what makes the game exciting, thrilling...

Default Nah!

Quote Originally Posted by Le Piaf View Post
    I always play with the explosion card. That's a big part of what makes the game exciting, thrilling...

Nah! We class it as 5 points of damage. When playing a small game on club night, normally four pilots, it's too easy to knock someone out of the game and re-spawning still takes time to get back into the play. Purely selfish self interest!

Not a bad idea Reg

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

We've always used the boom card but have now taken to playing it as per the Giants Rules of half damage rounded up so it can still be deadly but won't kill you off early on, unless, of course, your'e unlucky enough to pick up a second one !

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Assigning only 5 damage makes the Boom Card less deadly than two of the three 5-point cards already in the 'A' damage deck, which both have special damage attached as well...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567