• Messerschmitt rules

10 17.24%
  • The Corsair

39 67.24%
  • Can´t tell

9 15.52%

Thread: Who you woud bet on?

Default Who you woud bet on?

Ok the question is between this two planes, Who had to my knowleg no arial combat with each other, woud you bet on as Winner?
    The German Workhouse Messerschmitt Bf 109 or the american Chance Vought F4U Corsair

There is long thread about this topic on another forum

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/avi...90s-10181.html

The early 109 as the Corsair was not a novice ride. Experienced pilots would take the Corsair every time

Probably best to say that this head to head is with pilots of equal skill and combat experience. Otherwise you might as well just say the pilot with the greatest amount of experience.

Too difficult to call without more info.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Probably the G, the Corsair was used on Guadalcanal in early 1943. I think the K was not available until late summer '44.

My favourite is Messerschmitt - they are comparable, but Bf 109 had powerfull weapons. The canon is a big adventage campared with 6 machineguns. But this is just a theory based on numbers

Vote can't tell, I think power and armor to corsair, fire power to 109. But Ireally don't know.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Steve
    Sorties Flown

I'd have to go with the Corsair! IMHO Okie

It mostly comes down to the pilots. And in this game it has been shown time and time again its not the machine but the pilot flying it.

Tom

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Corsair! Even with 6MG's the Corsair had more firepower than the Bf109, meaning a higher cyclic rate compared to the 109's cannon. Corsair had armor, self sealing fuel tanks, higher speed, and diving advantage. The Japanese called it The Whistling Death which says something about it, as they were no slouches. Plus the cool factor goes to the F4U, Marines flew it, that big beautiful R - 2800 radial engine and the gull wings... I'm in love!

I voted for the Corsair, just love the plane.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Gino
    Sorties Flown

My vote for the Corsair, only because I like it the most.

G.

Ok for the Stats the mst corsairs Modells had more firepower and mor Engine Power then the 109 then in Diffing was the corsair faster. The only backdraw the corsair was called "Ensign Killer" because in low altitud a mistake ended normaly in an Crash. The 109 was more beginner friendly.

The Messerschmitt, now, tomorrow, always. Sufficient agility, raw firepower, and good performance - and pure magnificence!

Exclamation The Corsair!

You would just have to pick this one!
    Pic from the Omaka NZ Fly-in at Easter. Pilot, Gene De Marco who used to fly at Old rhinebeck Aerodrome in the States & now resident in NZ.

Vought Corsair Omaka NZ.jpg

@ Jäger my Granduncle flown a 109 in the war his statement about the 109 He didn´t liked the 109 because some of his friend went home from airbattle landed safly climbed out and died in a split second from internal bleeding. The Safetybelt Buckle of the E coud press on some aterias in the stomach by high G manouver this aterias where Riped and after the landing the blodd where rushind out.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Gino
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Pic from the Omaka NZ Fly-in at Easter. Pilot, Gene De Marco who used to fly at Old rhinebeck Aerodrome in the States & now resident in NZ.

Simply a dream ...

G.

I'm going with the "M"...only because it looks better...bottom line...depends on the pilot since both have their plusses and minuses...and the situation

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post

Great photo, Thank you for posting!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Steve
    Sorties Flown

I'd say, with experianced piolets with equil skill, the Corisair!!
    Okie

The Messerschmitt was always enough potent and versatile, and almost as handome as the Me 262. And if I see right, the Corsair seems to be quite fragile - see the music video (by Gorillaz - great stuff!) below, where the Yankee plane is shot down by pistol-calibre fire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04mfKJWDSzI

Just kidding, the Corsair is a cool war machine too.

The outcome of an aerial dogfight depends on so many factors (pilot's skill, position, sun, LUCK), that one can't judge which one would be a winner. One of the best books I read about Bf 109 pilot's aerial fights memoires was Heinz Knocke "I fought for Fuhrer". You can find many dogfight descriptions involving different allied planes Knocke fought against. Read it, than return to this poll.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mark Duncan
    Sorties Flown

Climate and plane type along with the above mentioned variables. The P-38 was a non-descript fighter in northern Europe, the cold altitude difficult on the superchargers. It thrived in the warm air and low altitudes of the Pacific. Also on the 109, it is a B, D, E, F, G, or K ? While there were improvement over the Corsair during its lifetime, the 109 was in service from the mid-30's until the 60's if you consider the Hispano's that were in service thru the 1967 war, an irony unto its own...

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mark Duncan
    Sorties Flown

Had never heard of this, but I do not doubt your story. Too bad this kind of information is not widely known. I have read about the Luftwaffe for years and this is a startling revelation. I would hope that they fixed it in later iterations of the aircraft.

If the pilots had roughly equal skill and experience, I too would pick the corsair to win.

I’m with David, if pilots are equally balanced then it would be the Corsair for me.

must have missed this poll. i would say it depends on which 109 and which corsair.

Two different games. 109 plays in the horizontal plane with turning fights like a Spitfire or a Zero, Corsair is more in the vertical doing hit and runs preferably in diving attacks.

Equal skill, I'm giving it to the Corsair. He'll be going home pretty well shot up, but he'll be GOING HOME. Unless it's an early-model "Ensign Eliminator."
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

The 109 if it was a G, no technical experience to fall back on, I just like the 109...

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Too many variables, too many Marks...................

And anyway, I never bet, because I ALWAYS lose!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Too many variables, too many Marks...................

And anyway, I never bet, because I ALWAYS lose!
    Well said that man

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

I’d tend to favor the Corsair, but a lot would depend on venue. If we are talking about high altitude Europe, I honestly have no idea how the Corsair would perform. If it is like the Lightning, performance wasn’t as good under those conditions rather than the warm and lower altitude for encounters in the Pacific. The 109 was a brilliant design, but showed it’s age as the war progressed.