Ares Games

Thread: Fokker D.VIII in the cards.

Users Country Flag

Name
    James
    Sorties Flown

Default Fokker D.VIII in the cards.

In my on going experimentation in card models, here are my humble attempts at the Fokker D.VIII.

Once again, using Fiddlers Green models, I have to say, I really enjoyed building this one...Though this time, the larger scale version was easier for me, as the bends on the tiny wings were a pain in the butt. I wasn't sure how else to do it, and the fact that the wing was a two part wing made it interesting also...Im not to keen on the way it was done, but i understand why it was done that way completely. Again, i still need to go through and repaint edges, but for now, im just trying to get a handle on construction techniques etc.

So first, we have the Flying Razor at full page which is 1/39(ish) scale.

Building it at this size was a lot fun and VERY simple. Though i did learn a few things, 1. don't score the middle section of the top wing, despite what it says on the model itself, just bend it. Also despite the temptation to do so, don't score the fold on the landing gear canard, just bend it, you really can't tell in the model, but i just folded it on the smaller scale and it seemed to turn out much better.

Now, the little brother version at 1/144

This is the plane where needlenose pliers came in handy on placing those little struts! I also discovered it was easier to dip the tips of the struts in glue than try to put glue on the fuselage. I think i really need to get used to the flash on this camera to keep from washing out the photos!!

And Finally, a side by side, to get an idea of the difference in scales.

Anyway, that is it for this go. Im gonna try and knock out Josef Jacob's Dr.1 next. So that should be interesting.

Jim

That's an interesting color scheme on it... looks like several different schemes on one plane.

Users Country Flag

Name
    James
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    That's an interesting color scheme on it... looks like several different schemes on one plane.
    Yeah, i have been trying to find out the colour scheme myself... I just printed up the main version they had in the kit and went with it...there are alternating red and white chevrons in the middle of the wing, with a daytime hex camo pattern on either side of it. For some reason I think i have seen that dragon on an albatross somewhere...but i just can't find the photo of it.

Jim
    Last edited by rapier1642; 05-21-2011 at 05:59.

The dragon on the side looks like a version of Flashar's plane:

The cowling cover looks like it is supposed to be Voss's:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9781841762234P2A_big.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	218.3 KB 
ID:	13539

But maybe in the colors of Steinhauser;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Steinhäuser.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	213.3 KB 
ID:	13540

Great stuff Jim...don`t start that Jacobs just yet....lol

Users Country Flag

Name
    James
    Sorties Flown

LOL ok

Count me too

It's the Osterkamp's one.

Looking good. I tried my hand at it and about pulled out all my hair. I just threw it in the trash. lol

Users Country Flag

Name
    James
    Sorties Flown

Dont give up yet!!!! Build one from the full sized sheet of paper. Get a handle on it at full scale then try it smaller. Also i discoverd use the glue sparingly, you can always add a bead of glue after the initial glue has set, or if you are going to stiffen the struts etc wtih thin superglue, this will strenghten the join also, since it will actually bind to the dry white glue also.

Jim

Just think, all those missing wow models and those favorites that they won`t release
    are just a card model away...
    Stick at it...have a gander at `Getter 1`s` how to thread...
    Maybe check my `card models in 1/144th scale` thread...
    But as James has said...build a few big models first, then you`ll be away !
    Batesyboy

I tried the exact model at full scale and my wing was so warped/twisted it wasnt worth using, then I tried the body and I dont even want to go there.
    So far the only thing that looks good is the tail of the plane, and thats probably the easiest part of the model. lol

The problem is as my wife says I'm to anal and if I'm not satisfied w/ it I get frustrated and throw the thing away. With the learning curve on building card models I dont know if I want to attempt it again.

Users Country Flag

Name
    James
    Sorties Flown

Wing warping at the large scale is a problem...i discoverd that the way around that was to make a "clamp" for the trailing edge of the wing...just 2 metal rulers clamped together with clothes pins. It keeps it flat and prevents warping. If you take a look at the edges of my large sopwith pup, they are warped to hell and gone. Don't let it get to you, just keep on keeping on...build two or three of the same plane, to get used to various sections if want...a big secret is scoring the card with a blade along a straight edge and rolling stuff with a dowel or pencil for curves.

Trust me, i banged my head a few times too....then i looked at it with the attitude of ...ok...why did it do that...and went from there.

Edit: oh and if you mean the D.VIII wing at full scale? That wing is a PAIN IN THE A$$ at any scale, because of the way the back fits together...the wing that i did is actually my second attempt at it when i came up with the clamp idea cause my first one looked like a curved road!!

I probably will give it another try but right now I just need a break. :-)

Users Country Flag

Name
    James
    Sorties Flown

I definatly like the look of Kampfflieger's wing more than the Fiddlers Green one...seems to be a simple fold instead of 2 pieces.

Ho ho fancy that! That is the same model I'm building right now :P Agreed the wings are quite "Fiddly" to assemble. Roman's wing design is much easier to assemble. In fact Roman's model may seem harder by part count than a FG model but IMO it's actually quite the opposite. FG models may have fewer parts and in theory look easier but I find em a bit more challenging than the more accurate models made by Roman and others. Most all FG models are hand designed therefore they tend to have flaws. Not to mention most of their color schemes are not accurate either. I bought Roman's D.VIII (13) pak today as a parallel to this build.

Great lookin build there Rapier. Looks like Lee and I got competition on our backs

G1

Users Country Flag

Name
    James
    Sorties Flown

I don't know that you have competition from me, im still an amature, you two are pros!! I am definatly going to have to pick up the D.VIII pack from roman and try it out!

Jim