Ares Games

Thread: Decal Checker Set Remake Request

Default Decal Checker Set Remake Request

I have been motivated and inspired by the many talents here. After seeing others do Schafenber's yellow Fokker D VII, I though I'd give it a go.

I repainted a Schafer D VII all yellow as a start to the Schafsberg livery - mind you I don't have the heart or skill to do the full checkered fuselage. I thought I would settle for the checkers on the spine of the fuselage and on the upper with and finish it off with with black dashes on the rear stabilizers.

So I bought some checkers from a guy out of Scotland and after having painstakingly cut them up, I discovered that they simply disintegrate when immersed in water.

Fortunately, the set came with 2 sheets and I was wondering if I sent someone the second, untried, uncut set they would be willing/able to remake them on a more durable decal paper (I will also include the remainders from the first set so you can see what I mean.

Any takers?

PS I just applied Dom's D VII national markings and that was such a breeze compared to the nightmare of the checkers!

Paul!

Testors makes a decal creating kit! In there is a can of decal bonder, this is sprayed over the decal sheet after printing. I have used it with mixed success on ancient decal sheet!

Rich

http://www.testors.com/product/0/9200/_/Decal_Bonder

For decals you think will fall apart , try microscale liquid decal film. It works well I use it all the time on decals over a couple of years old. Also on those from that fellow in Scotland.

This might not help you now, but I will be releasing several sheets of checkered decals here in the near future. They will be black/clear, white/clear, and blue/clear. There will also be sheets of stripes in like 7 colors, and several more generic number and letters in different fonts.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    This might not help you now, but I will be releasing several sheets of checkered decals here in the near future. They will be black/clear, white/clear, and blue/clear. There will also be sheets of stripes in like 7 colors, and several more generic number and letters in different fonts.
    Well done Keith. Great additions to the Decal Range.

Great Keith. That is going to save me a lot of cussing as I try to produce them on my computer. I have been thinking of the best way to do a wrap around for Camel noses for weeks now. They ain't straightforward cones either.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

What Camels you trying to do?

Sounds very useful. Can't wait!

/Niclas

I look forward to those
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

What Camels you trying to do?
    I have been looking at Lt.Smarts Camel from HMS Furious, with the Blue and white checks, and also a Sopwith Baby from RNAS Yarmouth with Red and white checks.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Great Keith. That is going to save me a lot of cussing as I try to produce them on my computer. I have been thinking of the best way to do a wrap around for Camel noses for weeks now. They ain't straightforward cones either.
    Rob.
    Rob, even with my checker sheets, you are going to have to try and figure out the correct curvature of the nose. I would use just plane paper to cut out test sizes and angles... once you have a good template, use it to cut the decals out.

Rob!

A thought just accrued to me. When our friends make their paper planes, they are already printed you might use one of the paper plane sheets as a guide. It will give you the shape required, then it is up to you
    create whatever scheme you need. I built some 144 scale P-47`s last year. The cowling decals were c shaped to properly fit the model!

Rich

That will get you a good start. Just keep in mind that the "scale" of the minis and the paper models are not the same and it will not be exactly correct. I tried this recently as I has the same thought as Rich.

Thanks chaps. I think I will use a combo of both ideas. Get the rough idea of the shape from the paper mods and then cut out tissue paper to conform to the exact shape needed.
    Rob.

Problem solved with advise from Boney10 and the vendor. Tip: warm-tepid water temperature worked miracles while cool-tepid created disasters.

Looking forward to checkers on a more durable film layer on the Col's checkers.

Interesting, very interesting.
    Rob.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

You're fabulous!

Bring them on Col.
    Rob.