Ares Games

Thread: Balloon card resized to match the AIM Drachen balloon

Default Balloon card resized to match the AIM Drachen balloon

drachen small.bmp

While I wait for the 3 to arrive, I thought I'd start off by creating a matching balloon card.

I think the grey should be a bit darker. I'll probably colour match once I've painted them.

Let me know if anyone wants the full sized print uploaded or have any suggestions to improve the card/picture.
    Last edited by Madboyo; 05-13-2011 at 06:16.

Great idea. You should put it in the File section. So how much are the balloons at AIM? I just bought 4 dive bombers and 4 torpedo planes for DoW.

Tom

http://theminiaturespage.com/man/armaments/
    18USD each and he has some decals. I think they are a little small for my taste though.

I'll be posting the file and some picture of the 3 balloons soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Madboyo View Post
    http://theminiaturespage.com/man/armaments/
    18USD each and he has some decals. I think they are a little small for my taste though.

I'll be posting the file and some picture of the 3 balloons soon.
    Look forward to seeing them. It states they are 1/144 scale which I think is a bit bigger then the WoW balloons. But I'll wait and see how they look.

Thanks,
    Tom

The AIM balloons are smaller. I'll put some photos together with the WOW one for comparison also.

I'll do a WIP in the next few days.

Can't help myself modding them to suit my taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Madboyo View Post
    The AIM balloons are smaller. I'll put some photos together with the WOW one for comparison also.

I'll do a WIP in the next few days.

Can't help myself modding them to suit my taste.
    Thanks
    Tom

Default AIM Drachen balloon

Here's my first attempt. Fits nicely on a regular Litko flight stand
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails drachen (5).jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Number4 View Post
    Here's my first attempt. Fits nicely on a regular Litko flight stand
    Nice.

Default Finally took some pictures

Finally took some work in progress pictures. The modeller in me couldn't help modifying the ballons half to death. I actually have 3 in progress.

Photo 1: Balloons built. One is rigged. The rigging in the middle is actually brass to attach to the basket (for strength) the rest is cotton string strengthened with superglue.
    The peg attachment is filed upside down games workshop clear flying base (had a load in the bits box) that was easy to fit as the clipped down base fits nicely inside the balloon so is very strong. (I'm happy to put a step by step together if requested) I modified the trim as I think it looks better.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	14132

Photo 2: Work in progress. Two balloons on stands with baskets (modified to within 1mm of their lives as I disliked the ones that came with the model and these match the WOW one better. These is room for an observer that will be added once they arrive. Added a sandbags or two (one was to hide a hole I managed to drill though one side.

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	14131

Photos 3 and 4: Comparison to Wings of war balloon. They compare in size very nicely.

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	112.6 KB 
ID:	14130

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	14129

Still a lot of fiddling to do and some decals to add. Will post the photos once complete.

Nice work! Like to see a close up shot of the remodeled basket as this is something on my 'to do' list.

I used hemp twine to rig my first attempt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails drachen (5).jpg  

Name:	P1000586.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	107.4 KB 
ID:	14134

Here's a closeup of the basket. Awaiting my Reviresco Observers to arrive.

Thanks for sharing. They are close enough to use together just fine. Good job on the paint jobs.

Tom