Ares Games

Thread: Operation Crossbow

Users Country Flag

Name
    Steven
    Sorties Flown

Default Operation Crossbow

Hi Guys

I am working on a solo campaign that can be converted into a multi player campaign based on operation crossbow. I was looking for something like a V1 Launch site that I could use for ground targets but realised that there were none on the site

could anyone help with any images etc. of v1 sites that can be turned into target cards like the airfields in the files section or even any advice on how I should plan this out

well I welcome all input at this stage

cheers

Steven!

Contact Max! He dose some great custom cards he may be able to fix you up!

Rich

Users Country Flag

Name
    Steven
    Sorties Flown

hehe i have bud he has already done some excellent work for me but there are others as well that need his excellent work hehe but seriously i am not sure how to go about this one i need targets but not sure on how many and all the v1 launch sites i have seen pictures of are like major complexes so i am assuming they would need to go on a A4 card sort of thing plus how many do i do (or get done) there is a lot to this operation I should add in but not suer on were to start

like i said any help is welcome hehe

Nice idea, how do you see this working?

Just as a simple idea phase one could be ground straffing of the launch sites, success here reduces the number fired. Phase 2 is aerial interception based on the numbers launched. The final result would be based on how many get though.

cheers,

Dave.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Steven
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Stormkahn View Post
    Nice idea, how do you see this working?

Just as a simple idea phase one could be ground straffing of the launch sites, success here reduces the number fired. Phase 2 is aerial interception based on the numbers launched. The final result would be based on how many get though.

cheers,

Dave.
    basically Dave you ARE very close lol

I was thinking of a about 6 to 10 sorties taking out the sites then to take into account how fast they seemed to replace the launch sites possibly roll a dice or something like that to see how many of the destroyed bases were rebuilt by Germany based on the amount that had been taken out then plan a further set of missions on taking out the V1's this could be based on the surviving launch sites over a number of days and getting the aircraft to take them out.

one idea for taking out the V1s was when the aircraft were trying to take them out have a random system set up so that on a random number showing up the bomb just drops and the Germans hit their target, which if I am not correct, is why the aircraft made a point of intercepting them over the country side before their internal guidance and arming system could tell the bomb to drop

well that is the basic idea I had needs a lot of fleshing out and indeed cards etc. For the bases and bombs themselves but that will come in time

this feedback is very helpful by the way

I've done no research at this point so I'm going off some very hazy memories....

Now then, I'd rig this so it's playable in an evening so we'd be looking at say 3-4 linked scenarios. I'd go for some variety so start with a recon mission to find the site, follow up with Mosquitos (?) bombing then, say , Tempest/Typhoons ground straffing. Finally late Mk Spitfires intercepting.

Recon; place 10 V1 target cards around the table face down with AA, 5 are dummies/blanks so the point here is to find out which are which ahead of the next step.

Bomb/Strafe; destroy as many as possible, no set-up time here because you're using the same table layout as recon. If you're using rockets and bombs then you can limit the number that could be destroyed, it'll also shorten the scenario because they can't just fly around all night shooting things up - limited ammo.

Intercept; clear the table, remaining V1(s) enter from one side and need to exit the other side, stop them!

So the initial question is which a/c to use for each part. Obviously we'll need V1s cards and launch site targets. Then it should be a case of playing it to get a handle on how many launch sites/AA to have to get the right level of challenge.

Simples!! :eek2:

Users Country Flag

Name
    Steven
    Sorties Flown

that sounds about right especially if you wanted to do it all in one night and yes that does sound better

I am in the process of doing a load of campaigns based off the ops we did during WWII. I am starting with operation crossbow basically as it is an operation I have been thinking on for a while but I am going to make a whole series of them up and put them in one big set of rules and then you can pick one operation to play with or the whole of WWII to play bear in mind this is a campaign I am working on not just single sorties.

I love the ideas you mentioned including the different aircraft for different parts of the campaign which I agree would feel more like the teamwork of different squadrons i.e. photo re-con of the area but making it a armed photo re-con so it would allow for a possible interception by the Luftwaffe then returning home with the photos to plan stage 2 then using bomber command to make a tactical bombing mission using the mosquitoes to take as many out as possible, then in reality a second armed photo re-con like the first one to determine the results and if a further mission would need to be planned and like you said based on the launchers taken out whether a second bombing mission or a ground attack mission on what's left of the launchers

the limiting of ammo for ground attack like the rockets i believe are already covered somewhere i vaguely remember reading something about using rockets in the rulesets somewhere something like got to be no lower than the alto 1 has to be within short range on the ruler type of thing

but yea this will work can be used both as a full campaign or even a long scenario they work nicely thanks Dave you are helping a lot here
    Last edited by Redwolf; 05-13-2011 at 08:19.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Steven
    Sorties Flown

Excellent intelligence there Dave hope your photo recon didnt get hit by flack or bounced by an me109 lol

It looked like you had to make a bank when you were taking a photo but the "PI!'s were still able to make out the target and it is reposted the correction here hehe

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...tion_Crossbow/

I really appreciated it bud as it highlights the different phases I need to do for operation crossbow campaign

it is also a good excuse for more spits but in the photo reconn colours hehe but will have to rethink the manoeuvrability as in the episode they mentioned that there was nothing faster than it until the me262 came out which means I Would have to rethink the speeds etc. and manoeuvrability ... just read some technical specifications on the Supermarine Spitfire PR Mk.VII which was armed it had a max sped of 598 km which is 372 mph (371.579972816 to be exact hehe) and was armed so this was faster than the normal combat spits so I am not sure how to deal with that one as the ""A" deck speeds are for normal spits so I could use the normal spitfires but not sure what to do with the decks speed ... maybe use your "High Speed Extender" card ?

lol plus I now have to go and buy the new bomber sets too for the bombing phase hehe although that might be able to be done using the fire from the skies rules that is on its way as we speak ??

lol Hay Max looks like more card request heading your way hehe

what do you all think

Users Country Flag

Name
    Steven
    Sorties Flown

OK Guys

for one part of the operation i.e. the shooting down of the v1's any ideas on the hull damage ?

it says that only cannon fire could penetrate the fuselage of the thing as .303 just bounced off of it so any clue on what to make the damage of the hull so it is playable ??

Quote Originally Posted by Redwolf View Post
    OK Guys

for one part of the operation i.e. the shooting down of the v1's any ideas on the hull damage ?

it says that only cannon fire could penetrate the fuselage of the thing as .303 just bounced off of it so any clue on what to make the damage of the hull so it is playable ??
    Give it a sensible amount of HP, say 18, but make it damage-1 (or 2) when hit and ignore most of the specials (Pilot, rudder)?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Steven
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Stormkahn View Post
    Give it a sensible amount of HP, say 18, but make it damage-1 (or 2) when hit and ignore most of the specials (Pilot, rudder)?

That is a good idea but I think as it is a pilot-less bomb and they will be having to take out a number (which I will put up when I finish the campaign rules) I think 15 will do it and I agree ignore specials

any ideas on the photo reconn stuff ?? the flying over the target is a little too easy especially as it will be a number of turns before c.a.p's get there do people think I should throw in the AA to make it more difficult ?

if they had flak then yes, otherwise I'd place a number of hidden objectives so you need to hunt for the target

Users Country Flag

Name
    Steven
    Sorties Flown

Well I have posted the first phase of operation crossbow it will be found in the scenarios section of the WWII files. the file is n the moderation cue at the moment but as soon as it is posted then I will add a link to the thread for ease, I have also added into the scenarios a couple of links that I have used for reference interesting reading.

anyway have a go and let me know how it went I would like to see if it is too hard for a single reconn aircraft, or too easy, either way please let me know of any suggestions for improvements on this phase thanks

well then back into my crate and see what can do for the next phase the bombing of the sites ....

Chocks Away and see you soon

Cool beans, scramble lad!!!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Steven
    Sorties Flown

as promised phase one of operation crossbow

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...do=file&id=836

Users Country Flag

Name
    Steven
    Sorties Flown

hi guys just a quick question

has anyone downloaded and tested out the first phase of operation crossbow ???

if so could I have some feedback please as I want phase one complete before I post up phase two

thanks in advance

Sounds like a pretty good mission. I will try to set up a mock map and try it out this winter. Thanks for sharing.

Here is the youtube series on Operation Crossbow.

Series 1.
    Series 2.
    Series 3.
    Series 4.

Tom

For a V1 and a V2 both on launching ramp go to WWW. Pendraken minatures (in the WW2 German section) who manufacter models of these in 10mm scale, they look much better as models and are only out of scale by 1mm.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Steven
    Sorties Flown

Thanks Doug could you post the link to them as I cant find them in pendrakens lists ??

Quote Originally Posted by Redwolf View Post
    Thanks Doug could you post the link to them as I cant find them in pendrakens lists ??
    Here's a link, but I didn't see any photo.

Go to the Pendraken web sight, go to WW2, go to Germans page 3, No174 V1 with launch ramp, No175 V1, No176 V2 with launch trailer, note no photes, I will post some as soon as I get technical support from one of my children!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Steven
    Sorties Flown

thanks guys although Ł9.00 seems a lot for 10mm ? probably means I am gonna have to cut out drinking in the officers mess to afford them I go that way hehe

Hey Steven, have you made the file for the V1 card and launch base available for download yet or did you want me to put it in the files section?

What shade green were V1 painted and was that all over or was there an underside colour?

Dunkelgrun (Dark green) and a pale grey seem favourite though the top one looks a bit duck egg blue

OK so maybe not the last one - pale grey/pale blue seem to be the choices (I suspect that they'd use whatever they had at the later stages of the war (leftover wallpaper from Berchtesgarten, watercolours from the kids paintbox and maybe a drop of Mordian Blue from the Games Workshop if they got desperate)

Thanks guys Doug

Here's a what-if; couple the V-1 with the homing radar from a US Bat (late WW2 anti-shipping missile) for striking convoys. Scary.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

P

ENDRAKEN V1

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    P

ENDRAKEN V1
    Great job, so what did you use to make them? They would be fun for a scenario.

Tom

Tom I purchased these from Pendraken miniatures they are in 10mm scale. Go to the German section P.3 No175 2 x V1's 3 pounds fifty pence.

Theres a complete V1 rocket and launch ramp at IWM Duxford which is only a couple of hours from you ,its outside so you could get some measurements etc

If I remember correctly from the book 'The Dambusters' by Paul Brickhill, 617 Squadron had a Mustang and two Mosquitoes, which went ahead and marked the V1 sites for the following Lancasters.

Aerial interception may be difficult to simulate using 'Wings of Glory' rules because the R.A.F. fighters were only faster than the V1's when diving on them from height and in 'Wings of Glory' the cards do not allow diving aircraft to increase the horizontal distance travelled when diving.

Don't forget the other tactic for downing a V1, namely putting your wingtip until that of the V1 and then using your wingtip to 'flip it onto its back' so that it went out of control and crashed. this must have been very difficult to do at such high speeds.

Blowing up a V1 with cannon fire would be risky because of the large warhead; so the fighter might be caught in the blast or hit by debries.

Unfortunately the Lufwaffe didn't invented a magnetic proximity fuze for the V1...