Ares Games

Thread: Push Backed the Huns - Knights of the Air Mission 4a (Balloon Busting) Sortie 11

Default Push Backed the Huns - Knights of the Air Mission 4a (Balloon Busting) Sortie 11

Dear Diana,

Everything is weel, and I'm in good health, but not spirits.

The Huns made another attempt to breach a gap in our Balloon defenses. This has been the hardest mission I have flown to date. We were outnumbered, two of us against four Huns. We tried to keep a positive attitude for this mission, with two Allied Aces flying against four new Hun pilots we thought there was a good chance we could take them.

The enemy went after the balloons fast, and shot one up pretty good and caught it on fire. But then my Wingman and I came in hard and fast on them. After a few passes I got my seventh kill, but there was no time to enjoy it. Moments later my wingman shot down anothe Hun so things were looking good for us. There is a new Hun pilot that has shown some flying skills this mission and the last, I havent figured out who he is yet, But I'm sure I will soon. This pilot went in low while the others engaged the Balloon, and he started strfing our ground guns, and he was very effective.

After a few turns of exchange fire and manuvering the enemy took down one of the Balloons. The two remaining Albatroses started to turn and head for home but my wingman and I wasnt going to allow it. I turned on the closets enemy and closed fast, and let him have it from my guns. After several burst he went down in flames, giving me my eigth kill. Now I turned my attention on the cunning Hun down on the deck that took out two of our ground guns and that my wingman was trying to engage. I put the nose of my SE 5a down and dove hard and fast on him. We exchanged fire as I did a pass on him trying to slow him down for my wingman to get into the action. I quickly slammed the stick over and did a hard turn to get into postion behind him, I knew he was running but also knew once i got around that he would not out run me. As I got into postion I fired on him again at close range, his machine looked beat up but it was still going. I stayed on him and during the course of battle I lost track of how much ammo I had and when I was in the perfect spot my guns just made a clicking sound. I was very disappointed, but I thought my wingman could finish him, so I turned for home.

Later I found out that my wingmans plane caught fire and went down behind enemy lines but he was able to escape and make it back. Unfortunately the Hun got away and the enemy barely won this fight.

I have been counting my blessings, I've flown 11 sorties, been shot down twice and on my way to a double ace with eight kills. Your prayers are helping. It's been a long day and I need to get some rest, you will hear from me soon.

Yours Truly
    Alexander Armstrong

Nice AAR tony! Good job.

Armstrong must've been very disappointed at missing the promising young German pilot.

For my SA, do you play with limited ammo rules, or did was a "jammed" card drawn.

We are playing with limited ammo in our campaign, you get 8 damage cards. When you shoot at long range you give your opponent a card from your ammo, at close range you give him one from your ammo and one from the community damage deck.