Ares Games

Thread: US troops man anti aircraft guns and down German aircraft in France during World War

Hybrid View

Default US troops man anti aircraft guns and down German aircraft in France during World War

Interesting clip:

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65...-aircraft-guns

The American Expeditionary Forces ( AEF ) in France during World War I. Troops in a jeep. Other soldiers nearby. Flak bursts in the sky. Troops of the 35th Infantry Division, the 2nd and the 148th Field Artillery Regiments and the 56th Engineers man anti aircraft guns during German bombing raids. Mechanical operation of antiaircraft tracking, sighting and timing devices. Two soldiers look through an instrument on a tripod stand. Other soldiers nearby. Soldiers load and fire an anti aircraft gun. Aircraft in flight. The soldiers handle antiaircraft shells. A soldier near the wreckage of a downed German aircraft.

Yet another interesting bit of archive film, founds by Attilio Homes. Bravo.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Yet another interesting bit of archive film, founds by Attilio Homes. Bravo.
    Rob.
    Thanks Flying Officer Watson!

Quote Originally Posted by Attila57 View Post
    Interesting clip:

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65...-aircraft-guns

The American Expeditionary Forces ( AEF ) in France during World War I. Troops in a jeep. Other soldiers nearby. Flak bursts in the sky. Troops of the 35th Infantry Division, the 2nd and the 148th Field Artillery Regiments and the 56th Engineers man anti aircraft guns during German bombing raids. Mechanical operation of antiaircraft tracking, sighting and timing devices. Two soldiers look through an instrument on a tripod stand. Other soldiers nearby. Soldiers load and fire an anti aircraft gun. Aircraft in flight. The soldiers handle antiaircraft shells. A soldier near the wreckage of a downed German aircraft.

looks more like troops in and around a truck. especially since jeeps were a ww2 toy. nice clip, bad description.

Quote Originally Posted by wargamer View Post
    looks more like troops in and around a truck. especially since jeeps were a ww2 toy. nice clip, bad description.
    I agree. Not all the descriptions on this site are correct Sometimes they are excessive But the material from the film archive is really interesting and I will limit myself to exploring just one of the Great War

Its interesting, the soldier on the upper right of the gun is adujsting the fire, and when you see the black puffs in the sky you can tell he's pretty regular with the cranks and whacks on the wheel.

Nice. Are they adjusting the altitude on the shells before firing them?

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Thanks Attilo for finding this interesting look at early AA defense.

Outstanding once again Attilio; Bravo! I did not know that these early AA Guns could shoot this fast, and that they were able to track the target continuously while shooting. Fascinating.

The shell must have been set to explode either at a specific altitude or after a specific time. Either way, it required very good input (estimates of altitude or projectile flight-time) and also the fastest possible speed to set the shell, load it and fire it including flight-time-to-target before the target changed altitude.

Sort-of an approximate thing I am sure. But, I'm equally sure that some AA gun teams were much better than others at doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Outstanding once again Attilio; Bravo! I did not know that these early AA Guns could shoot this fast, and that they were able to track the target continuously while shooting. Fascinating.

The shell must have been set to explode either at a specific altitude or after a specific time. Either way, it required very good input (estimates of altitude or projectile flight-time) and also the fastest possible speed to set the shell, load it and fire it including flight-time-to-target before the target changed altitude.

Sort-of an approximate thing I am sure. But, I'm equally sure that some AA gun teams were much better than others at doing this.
    Thx.

I don't believe the flak was very efficient using the guns. Surely it was more efficient using machine guns (or rifle) on aircraft at low altitude (Baracca and maybe the Red Baron have been famous victims).

It 's also interesting tool that looks like a primitive rangefinder or teodolitwe. I am not clear exactly its purpose.