Ares Games

Thread: Josef Jacobs

Thumbs up Josef Jacobs

Hi All,

Here goes my first thread!

In my Wings of War obsession, I am doing a repaint of the Josef Jacobs DR1 with the devil's head on the sides. Does anyone know where I can get a 1/144 scale decal for that. If successful, I will do an Albatross DVa as well. if I really go nuts...I may do a Pfalz and a DVII too.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

You might be able to get hold of these. They are in 1/48 scale, but if you can get them we can reduce them for you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jacobs.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	12020

Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 04-27-2011 at 04:05.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Users Country Flag

Name
    James
    Sorties Flown

You can also contact Riversco...they used to do some custom decals for planes, though I can't remember what they charged

Jim

By the way Jim, Jacobs image is of the God of the North Wind not the Devil (think it was the North anyhow?)

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    By the way Jim, Jacobs image is of the God of the North Wind not the Devil (think it was the North anyhow?)
    That makes me feel much better Barry. I thought it was just my bad eyesight , when I found that set of decals. I was trying to see how that could be the Devil.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    James
    Sorties Flown

If you do have luck finding a set of decals for Josef Jacobs Dr.1 let me know, as I would be interested in a set as well.

Jim (the other one that is)

I have already been looking for these decals since I started collecting. Didn't find them yet or always on a greater scale to my regret....

As I said in my earlier post, scale is not important. If you get them,I can reduce them to any size you want.
    Rob.

One possible avenue to explore is find the Roden 1/32 scale Triplane (or better still find a friend that's got one as they are OOP and expensive) and scan the decals from the kit. Unfortunately Roden don't put the same decals in their 1/72 Triplane, which would make the exercise a bit more cost-effective.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Thanks all,

I am trying to find a set of decals. I am glad that scale is not an issue. I think I found a place to get 1/48.

On another note, I picked up the Osprey book titled DR 1 Aces of World War I. The text on Josef Jacobs stated that he referred to his symbol at different times as "the god of the north winds" and also a "fire-spitting witch." Historians later called it a "devil's head." You are correct gentlemen, thanks.

I will let you all know when I get some decals. I do need help reducing them. I would prefer to avoid painting the symbol myself.

Thanks again,

Jim

Just to add to the process, I thought I saw that someone makes custom cards that can go with the miniatures? If so, I am interested in finding the cost of building Josef Jacobs cards, the DR 1, the albatross D Va, and a D VII (maybe even a Pfalz D III).

Thanks,

Jim

Lightbulb This might help!

Dont know if this image will help you scan the image & have it reduced to 1/144 scale but heres hoping

Good Luck!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW1 J Jacobs Fokker Triplane.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	12408

Flying Officer Kyte,

can we use the picture that gully_raker found for decals? Also, I called Copper State models, but had to leave a message. I am hoping to push forward.

Jim

The problem with the image you have here is the black outline. I would normally use the magic wand tool to pick off the background but with the breath etc. merging into the black it would be impossible for me to do that.:eek2: Picking out individual pixels would just take me too long (that's the trouble when you are partially sighted ) I really need a clean background to be able to get a good decal off.
    Rob.

I`ll have a crack if you like Rob,
    I`ll base them on the decal above...
    Batesyboy

Default Jacobs decal

Okey dokes,
    I had to redraw...also this version (based on the decal) doesn`t feature the second yellow wing...will this suffice ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jacobs decal.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Gladius View Post
    Flying Officer Kyte,

can we use the picture that gully_raker found for decals? Also, I called Copper State models, but had to leave a message. I am hoping to push forward.

Jim
    Do you like the one lee has come up with Jim? If so I'll go ahead and produce that one for you.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by batesyboy View Post
    Okey dokes,
    I had to redraw...also this version (based on the decal) doesn`t feature the second yellow wing...will this suffice ?
    Thanks for that Lee. I think we can make a decent decal out of that one.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    James
    Sorties Flown

If you are making that up Rob, let me know I would love 2 sets, because it looks like Jacobs used the design on both is Dr.1 and a D.VII

Jim

Yes, I love it! At 1/144 it will look excellent. If possible, I would like sets for...a DR 1, an Albatross D Va, and a D VII (maybe even a Pfalz). Is 4 sets too much to ask? maybe even a 5th, for mistakes? What would that cost me?

Thanks everyone,

Jim

P.S. maybe just 3 sets (feeling guilty asking for so much)
    Thanks again
    Last edited by Gladius; 05-04-2011 at 20:40.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Wow! I didn't you could do that with decals! Boy, this sight is awesome.

I should be able to do the artwork for any decals, but i don`t want to be nicking somebody elses custom...
    Just give us a shout and i`ll forward artwork to Rob
    Batesyboy

Thanks,

Yes please, 3 sets. (DR 1, D VII, and D Va)

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Dont know if this image will help you scan the image & have it reduced to 1/144 scale but heres hoping

Good Luck!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW1 J Jacobs Fokker Triplane.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	12408
    Now that would be one awesome looking plane! Um...the "devil's" in the details

I should be able to do the artwork for any decals, but i don`t want to be nicking somebody elses custom...
    Just give us a shout and i`ll forward artwork to Rob
    Batesyboy
    That is no problem Lee. I only do these as a favour. There is no financial transaction. Anyone who can help out by taking some of the load and saving my decal paper is welcome to do it. If there are any of my decals you want copies of I will gladly E -mail the images to you free and for gratis.
    Rob.

There's a real easy solution to your decal issue. Fiddler's Green has a Dr.1 in Jacobs scheme all ready and pre-colored. You just have to do it in cardstock

http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/

I have one printed out but haven't built it yet. I did do Bolle's Dr.1 if you want to see how they turn out.

G1

Ooooops sorry Wingco I thought you had some sort of decal company...
    I`m sure those you do pass on to wouldn`t mind chipping in for your decal paper, particularly when these
    decals are not produced anywhere else...
    I don`t use decals myself, but i don`t mind sorting out any artwork `Gratis` as you say
    I did (unsuccessfully) try to make my own decals, back when i did plastic models...
    Once again i apologise as decal paper was very expensive when i had a stab at it
    Batesyboy

Ooooops sorry Wingco I thought you had some sort of decal company...
    I`m sure those you do pass on to wouldn`t mind chipping in for your decal paper, particularly when these
    decals are not produced anywhere else...
    I don`t use decals myself, but i don`t mind sorting out any artwork `Gratis` as you say
    I did (unsuccessfully) try to make my own decals, back when i did plastic models...
    Once again i apologise as decal paper was very expensive when i had a stab at it
    Batesyboy
    No Lee, I'm just an interested amature. As I do dets for myself i help out friends who have the same trouble in finding the right sets. I have been helped myself in this way, so feel it only fair to spread the bounty around the drome.
    Rob.

Thank you Rob,

I sent my address to you via PM. I am grateful for your help. I will have to put pictures of the finished products up here. I picked up a D VII as well. I better get painting, thanks.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Gladius View Post
    Thank you Rob,

I sent my address to you via PM. I am grateful for your help. I will have to put pictures of the finished products up here. I picked up a D VII as well. I better get painting, thanks.

Jim
    That's fine Jim. No problems. P.M. sent.
    Rob.

Have applied my `decal `to a FG Tripe` will post pic when complete...
    Also have finished drawing up a Fokker DV (they were used to get the pilots up to speed
    with the 100hp Oberursel rotary engine, prior to flying the DR1)
    Batesyboy

Here` my FG Repaint of Jacob`s bus...
    There`s a few more pic`s on my `card models in 144th scale` thread
    Cheers
    Batesyboy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1778.jpg  

Very Nice. I am jealous...but not for very long.

Thanks,

Jim

P.S. Are the crosses decals or did you paint them?

Very nicely done Lee.
    Can I ask what make is the Pilot ? also the cross on the bottom wing where did you get that info from ? it seems unusual to me, I take it there is another set on the underside of the bottom wing ?

Hi Chris, Jacobs had a penchant for extra crosses, i think his albatros had four on
    the upper surface.
    The crosses on the underside of the bottom wing are thinner, but they are there all the same.
    This is a card model, actually a Fiddlers Green model that i have repainted on the computer
    so there`s no decals as such.
    The pilot is a white metal item from Peter Pig, and the first time i`ve tried them.
    Most of the models on my `card models at 1/144th scale` thread feature card stock pilots,
    Which seem to be ok at this scale
    Batesyboy

Hi Lee, thanks for the gen.
    I also have done a Jacobs with the 4 crosses on the top wing, but not used the breathing decals as yet, my model is a DVa.
    I have read your card threads with interest and am in the process of doing a Halberstadt.
    So Peter Pig pilots, I am off to Triples tomorrow so will pay them a visit if they are there, Skytrex also getting some custom as DR1 & DVII are like the proverbial rockinghorse droppings to obtain at the moment.
    Now understand the acronym FG, silly me thought you meant Fantasyflight Games not Fiddlers Green

I finally finished my Josef Jacobs DR 1. Pictures will follow soon. I am trying to finish his Albatross DV as well.

Oh, and thank you batesyboy for the decals. They worked out great.