Ares Games

Thread: Converting a SPAD 13C.1 into a SPAD 12Ca.1

Default Converting a SPAD 13C.1 to a SPAD 12Ca.1

Step 1. Detach interplane struts from lower wing and cabane struts from top wing, then remove top wing.
    Step 2. Gently bend interplane struts to produce approx 10 degree positive stagger. (When refitted, looking from above the top wing cutout should be level with the front of the cockpit.)
    Step 3. Remove the horizontal 'locating bars' from the tops of the cabane struts. (Because of the positive stagger on the top wing, the locating troughs under the top wing will no longer line up.)
    Step 4. Remove the port Vickers MG.
    Step 5. Remove the 'teardrop' engine cylinder head covers.
    Step 6. Round off the top of the rudder.
    Step 7. (optional) Shorten the lower wings by removing the outer most rib and round off leading edge wingtip. (Not all recently produced GAs agree with a shorter span lower wing.)
    Step 8. Round off lower wing trailing edge wingtip.
    Step 9. Reattach top wing.
    Step 10. Repaint.
    Step 11. Retire to the Mess for a stiff drink and get ready for some 'boom, (pause) boom' to replace the normal 'dakka, dakka, dakka' of aerial combat!

Pictures as requested; apologies for the poor lighting.

Steps 1 & 2

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=WoW 2.jpg  Views: 202  Size: 19.2 KB  ID: 11517" class="thumbnail" />

Steps 3 to 5

Name:	<acronym title=WoW 1.jpg  Views: 201  Size: 14.0 KB  ID: 11518" class="thumbnail" />

In the course of removing the cylinder head fairings, the engine cowling retached from the mini, which actually made the whole process easier.

Step 6 image was unusable, but involved rounding the point on the top of the rudder (thanks David).

Steps 7 & 8

Name:	<acronym title=WoW 3.jpg  Views: 202  Size: 8.9 KB  ID: 11521" class="thumbnail" />

Name:	<acronym title=WoW 4.jpg  Views: 203  Size: 11.8 KB  ID: 11522" class="thumbnail" />

Step 9 (though top wing not yet fixed in place), with repainting to come.

Name:	<acronym title=WoW 5.jpg  Views: 202  Size: 17.9 KB  ID: 11524" class="thumbnail" />

Name:	<acronym title=WoW 6.jpg  Views: 198  Size: 16.4 KB  ID: 11523" class="thumbnail" />

The 12 Ca.1 will be Madon's red-fuselaged aircraft from Sp.38, with a 'normal' 13 C.1 as his wingman. Hopefully I'll get these done before the Easter break.

Name:	<acronym title=WoW 015.jpg  Views: 189  Size: 14.0 KB  ID: 11951" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 02-25-2012 at 12:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Linz View Post
    But Why?
    Because you can Linz.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

OOooooh a Cannon armed Spad should do some serious damage...
    But beware, don`t drop a hot shell casing in your lap !

Quote Originally Posted by batesyboy View Post
    OOooooh a Cannon armed Spad should do some serious damage...
    But beware, don`t drop a hot shell casing in your lap !
    And keep the family jewels out of the way of the recoil!
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

(with a very high pitched voice ) I concur with the last post

Sorry guys did not realize it was the cannon carrier. What stats would you give it and what damage cards would you use. Can it fire after every move or one shot per turn. Have seen this plane once before and was thinking of making one myself wonder if I could make it from a Revell Dr1?
    Linz

I think if you can find it, there is a thread all about this. Found it today. See post 11.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 04-13-2011 at 06:37.

Baldrick, if by chance you converted one, how about a pic of the 12 next to a 13.
    Last edited by 7eat51; 08-09-2013 at 09:59.

Linz, the clue is in the designation: SPAD 12 Ca.1 (Canon) rather than SPAD 13 C.1 (Chasse). I don't know about WoW stats, but it was a manually operated 37mm cannon with 12 rounds of ammunition. The fixed Vickers was meant to be used like a spotting rifle on an RCL, so I guess must have had a higher than normal proportion of tracer.

I'm away for a few days but hope to have pictures up over the weekend.

You chaps may be interested in having a look at this thread.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...85-SPAD-Cannon

Rob.

Step 6. Round off the top of the rubber.
    The mind boggles

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    The mind boggles
    Be thankful that it is only your mind that boggles Dave.
    Kyte.

Really nice work Baldrick. Looks like its time to pick up an extra Spad 13 or two or _ _
    Last edited by 7eat51; 08-09-2013 at 09:59.

Seems to be a very quick convert. Nice job. Food for thought what have I got that I could make one of those from?
    The Cannon is lethal. Though with a C deck you only have less than a 50% 9/17 chance of hitting but if you hit you have a 75% 6/8 chance of doing 4 or more damage.
    I took my Voisin 5ca for a spin and did serioud damage to 2 Dr1's with its cannon.
    Linz

Very nice Baldrick. I had not got Spads on my list either, but now that I've seen this I will have to do at least one in that style.
    Rob.
    Last edited by 7eat51; 08-09-2013 at 10:00.

Nice one Baldrick. I think it is Madon's colour scheme one normally associates with the cannon armed SPAD
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Default SPAD 12 Plumage

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Nice one Baldrick. I think it is Madon's colour scheme one normally associates with the cannon armed SPAD
    Steve, yeah, it does seem to be the one that stands out from the crowd, although I've not seen too many other 12s photographed or illustrated. For those who prefer their red on German aircraft, there are some other possibilities though, remembering that these were generally the preserve of sqn aces:

Another of Georges Guynemer's 'Vieux Charles' of SPA.2.

Name:	guynemer.gif 
Views:	178 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	11965

Rene Fonck's S445 fom SPA.103, which I've also seen modelled with bare metal engine panels.

Name:	spad12-fonck.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	11966

Or the one and only USAS SPAD 12, flown by Charles Biddle, CO of the 13th Aero Sqn. I do like the 'Grim Reaper' sqn insignia!

I also recall seeing a Charles Nungesser 12 with his personal 'coffin & candles' insignia, but can't find an image of it. From memory it was another 5-colour camouflage aircraft, and may have also carried the nickname 'Le Verdier' (Greenfinch), although I could be confusing that with a SPAD 13. Unfortunately, I don't have time to dive into the references at the moment.

Nice little how to, Balders!
    I like the rebuild and paint job a lot - The red fuselage looks great!

/Niclas