Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you like to see?

Default What would you like to see?

I would like to know what you guys and gals would like to see added to the site. Feel free to post any thing that you think of. I will not be able to do every thing, but it will give me a good idea of what direction I need to take the site in.

One of the things I am thinking about, is adding a Blogging feature in the future. This would be for you, the users. You could create your own section of the site to blog about your gaming group, WoW games, important things going on in you life... whatever you want really. You would be able to customize the page and have RSS feeds. All controlled from your one user account here. Is this something any of you would be interested in?

I would also like to find out what types of contests you are interested in the site hosting?

Ooh, more contests!
    I'm poor and I need the chance to win stuff

Would be neat if you could advertise it on other sites as well to bring in more people, perhaps you could work out a deal with Nexus, like a sponsored contest/lottery/quiz for each new release..
    It would be good promotion for both the site and the game itself.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

I think the problem might be that the site is so new and shiny and full of good stuff, I haven't had chance to think about how it might be even better!

I did contact FFGs for prize support for the site. They said they they were out of the Wings of War prize miniatures. They told me to contact Nexus and Andrea gave me a contact very high up with them, but I've not heard any thing back from them.

One of our members has donated a really cool prize for the next contest, which will kick off tomorrow actually, November 1st! Keep an eye out for the details at the top of the main page.

squiggie

Unless Im missing something a link collection would be really useful, for all those research sites

Neil has a good idea - a links page.

I would recommend, though it may be early, a Marketplace part of the forum.

In there users could rate Good Vendors (online shops and Ebay), could even sell their WoW collections if they get out of the game, or maybe just sell that plane they do not use anymore.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

If possible, could you add a feature that lets you see all the new posts (from all the boards) since your last visit? That would be very handy, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallyho View Post
    If possible, could you add a feature that lets you see all the new posts (from all the boards) since your last visit? That would be very handy, I think.
    Hm, you wouldn't happen to be hanging around the Rise of Flight forums by any chance?

They have this feature and it's quite handy
    http://riseofflight.com/Forum/search...ch_id=newposts

Quote Originally Posted by Seiseki View Post
    Hm, you wouldn't happen to be hanging around the Rise of Flight forums by any chance?

They have this feature and it's quite handy
    http://riseofflight.com/Forum/search...ch_id=newposts
    If you go to the home page and look under your avatar there is a link for new posts since your last log in.

Quote Originally Posted by squiggie View Post
    Unless Im missing something a link collection would be really useful, for all those research sites
    Look at the Sticky thread in the Hobbies Section.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBaron View Post
    I would recommend, though it may be early, a Marketplace part of the forum.

In there users could rate Good Vendors (online shops and Ebay), could even sell their WoW collections if they get out of the game, or maybe just sell that plane they do not use anymore.
    That idea is in the possible future to do list. I do feel it is a little early for that kind of thing to have it's own forums.

As Jmac pointed out, that feature is available on the home page already.

Keep them coming guys!!

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    As Jmac pointed out, that feature is available on the home page already.
    I don't actually see the latest posts on the home page any more, though I did at one time. Now I see a list of tags and the recent contest winner...

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by bsmith13 View Post
    I don't actually see the latest posts on the home page any more, though I did at one time. Now I see a list of tags and the recent contest winner...
    Same here; I see a box containing the tag cloud, to the right of which is the recent contest winner, and under that is a box for today's birthday people.

Try clicking on Home after you login, thats what worked me.

I logged out, then logged back in again. The only change was that my background colors went from brown to blue.

Do you guys see the box that shows your avatar and stuff??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails home.jpg  

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

Do you guys see the box that shows your avatar and stuff??
    No, I don't see anything that looks like that... This is what I see when I click on the "Home" link at the top of the page:

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

How does it look now?
    Exactly like yours looks. Thanks! Oh, and there's the link to all the newest posts. :-)

Did I forget to set some setting or something like that?

Looks like you fixed it! Nice troubleshooting.

Add a USA WWI fighter plane avatar please.(Spad XIII maybe?)

Exactly like yours looks. Thanks! Oh, and there's the link to all the newest posts. :-)

Did I forget to set some setting or something like that?
    No, it was some settings on my end that I forgot to update when I added the new groups (Japan, USA, France, ect).

Quote Originally Posted by Dorb View Post
    Add a USA WWI fighter plane avatar please.(Spad XIII maybe?)
    You know, I did not even notice there as not one. I'll work on that!

You must think I'm a horrible nag, but it looks like my rank has disappeared. It might have something to do with the background I requested...

Some more PSD files of planes would be nice. Maybe a Fokker Dr. I and D. VII...

You must think I'm a horrible nag, but it looks like my rank has disappeared. It might have something to do with the background I requested...
    Not at all man. You guys will find more of the smaller issues with the site then I could ever hope to find. It's very helpful. To give you guys all the different backgrounds, I've had to create a User Group for each one. There are a lot of things tied into what User Group a person is in, and I tend to miss some them from time to time... okay, most of the time. lol

Quote Originally Posted by The Blue Baron View Post
    Some more PSD files of planes would be nice. Maybe a Fokker Dr. I and D. VII...
    I really want to add more Base Plane files to the site for people to edit for using to make custom cards and such. The problem is just time, or the lack of it it really.

I really want to add more Base Plane files to the site for people to edit for using to make custom cards and such. The problem is just time, or the lack of it it really.
    I really would like to offer some help but I don't have Photoshop...

I really would like to offer some help but I don't have Photoshop...
    Feel free to PM me what you are good at or can do, and I'll be sure to put you to work when and where I can! LOL

I never said that I am GOOD at this things but modifying existing graphics is not too hard. But as I said: I do not have Photoshop at home. Only Microsoft Picture it. Therefore I cannot make any layered graphics only jpgs, pngs and so on.

Default record cards

I think if anyone had form they used for keeping pilot data or any other record keeping data that would be great. Also what about a forum section specifically for battle reports and one maybe for tactics. there are scenario and campaign sections but these seem to be mainly for ideas for these not discussions of game sessions

I never said that I am GOOD at this things but modifying existing graphics is not too hard. But as I said: I do not have Photoshop at home. Only Microsoft Picture it. Therefore I cannot make any layered graphics only jpgs, pngs and so on.
    Can you work with layered graphics? There are two free programs out there that you might want to check out (not just for this stuff), they are GIMP and Pixlr. The first is a powerful download program that can do a lot of things, but has a pretty big learning curve. The second is an online editor that is simple to use, but a little limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman View Post
    I think if anyone had form they used for keeping pilot data or any other record keeping data that would be great. Also what about a forum section specifically for battle reports and one maybe for tactics. there are scenario and campaign sections but these seem to be mainly for ideas for these not discussions of game sessions
    There has been talk about Pilot logs and such in one of the threads. I also have the one I use in Knights of the Air campaigns. An online version of that one is being coded right now for use with the world wide campaign of Knights of the Air. If you are wanting some thing seperate from a campaign system and managed online, we could work out the detail of it and see what we can do. Feel free to start a new thread in the Hobby Room section.

As for a forum for battle reports, I'm all for people posting After Action Reports in the Mission/Campaign sections. I've updated the descriptions of those forums to reflect this. It will just take a couple of members to post some up for others to follow suit.

Can you work with layered graphics? There are two free programs out there that you might want to check out (not just for this stuff), they are GIMP and Pixlr. The first is a powerful download program that can do a lot of things, but has a pretty big learning curve. The second is an online editor that is simple to use, but a little limited.
    Tried the last one and do not like it...

Maybe I shoul not do the graphics but do other stuff... Write missions or something like this...

I've noticed that some avatars are now transparent until you mouse over them. Why is that?

Evzone

Being new to this site, how about sub-forums on:

Books & Articles (this could contain threads on things such 'what are forum members redaing')

Films & TV (anything relating to aircraft, conflicts, battles, etc etc...)

Events & Shows (containing threads on anything from airshows to wargaming conventions)

As I mentioned I'm a tyro here so if these threads/forums are inbedded here somewhere else then please accept my apologies.

I've noticed that some avatars are now transparent until you mouse over them. Why is that?
    Actually, the avatars are transparent when the member is offline. The become solid when they are online, or you mouse over them (so you can see them better if you like). The reasoning is a little transparent ( ) I know!

Quote Originally Posted by Evzone View Post
    Being new to this site, how about sub-forums on:

Books & Articles (this could contain threads on things such 'what are forum members redaing')

Films & TV (anything relating to aircraft, conflicts, battles, etc etc...)

Events & Shows (containing threads on anything from airshows to wargaming conventions)

As I mentioned I'm a tyro here so if these threads/forums are inbedded here somewhere else then please accept my apologies.
    I'm personally not a big fan of sub-forums. I think the layout is rather poorly done. I also do not like to create forums for things that can be handled easily with a normal thread. In fact, we have a couple of book and movie threads going already. If a single topic gets enough traffic, I don't have a problem making a forum for it though.

I might have missed this, but what is the meaning of the red/blue/green bars below the Avatar? What levels or points do they represent?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by RedBaron View Post
    I might have missed this, but what is the meaning of the red/blue/green bars below the Avatar? What levels or points do they represent?

Thanks,
    Those bars are part of an experience system I'm working on. It basically tracks everyone's activities on the site and does some calculations to determine how you compare to all the other members. It gives out awards for different things (automatically) as well as some other things.

I'm still tailoring it to our site, so not every thing is in place. I'll be theming it to our site (colors, images, awards, and wording) and one of the things I would like to do with it is allow members to to "buy" virtual planes (these will be the avatar images to start with) with the points you get from the system. These will be displayed in your user profile page. I'll also look into it allowing you to buy larger avatar sizes, more PM space and things like that.

well, you sure put in a lot of effort and that is only to appreciate from my point of view; I can say that this is the most beautiful forum I am a member of.

regards

Thank you. I'm a very visual person, so I like lots of eye candy in my site. I have to maintain a balance between looks and load times though

The experience system is shaping up well. I really need to come up with a better name for that so it fits with the theme of the site. I've got the colors down for it (I think, lol) and I've got most of the wording re-coded to fit with the theme of the site. It now gives stats listed in Kills, Ace (number of times over) and Flight Hours.

Next up is working on the awards. I'm still stumped on how to get the store part of it working the way I want. I may end up having to hire someone to code that part for me

Now we have "flight time" meaning activity and "Flight hours" meaning posts...

Yes, not the best I know. Feel free to make suggestions!

What about changing the Flight hours for post count to Sorties Flown? I kind of like Flight Time (or Flight Hours if I change that one)for activity as it is a percentage.

I also would keep FLIGHT TIME for activitiy and change FLIGHT HOURS in something else. Sorties is not bad but what about SHOTS FIRED?

I like "Sorties" for the number of posts. Maybe "Career Progression" or "Rank Progression" for level up...

Those sound pretty good for Level Up. What do you think about some thing along the lines of Fame or Famous… as in Famous Aces??

Those sound pretty good for Level Up. What do you think about some thing along the lines of Fame or Famous… as in Famous Aces??
    That would work..."Fame" or "Renown", or maybe "Prestige" or "Honor"?

Okay, I went with Sorties Flown for the post count and I changed Threads to Missions. So, we now have Missions and Sorties Flown for out thread and post counts... I think that goes well together and with the theme of the site.

I also kept activity as Flight Time and I changed Level up to Fame. I'm still open to ideas on these and I'm actually thinking about changing Fame to Accuracy. That would tie into the Kill and Ace names as well. Kills used to be points, Ace was level, and if Level up/Fame becomes Accuracy (or firing accuracy) they would all tie in with each other. You earn Kills by doing different things on the site, Fame/Accuracy tracks how close you are to reaching the next Ace level.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stats.jpg   missions.jpg  

another thing... well not important, maybe was mentioned before - the smilies... some aviation themed smilies or something

regards,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast