Ares Games

Thread: World War 1 Aircraft - British Scout Experimental 5 Model A

Default World War 1 Aircraft - British Scout Experimental 5 Model A

For Historical Forum section fans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9he0d...e=more_related

Just to give a bit of background information on this video, the bit of film this is off of is from March 1918 and was taken at the aerodrome of No. 32 Squadron at Amiens. It's relatively short, but by today's standards, it's quality footage that's a very rare thing to see. There's a brief segment in which two-seaters are shown with the pilot and gunner chatting together in flight gear and studying their map. I just included it because I didn't want to cut anything out. After that, it shows the actual squadron's SEs lined up and preparing for takeoff.

It's probably one of the most famous British fighters of the war, especially since it was the aircraft that German ace Werner Voss fought against in his last and most epic battle. Engaging seven SEs, Voss fought for 10 minutes against James McCudden and Arthur Rhys-Davids before a burst from Rhys-Davids' guns killed him and sent his Fokker DR1 down over the lines.

I had some old canister films of DR1s and the first Scout Experimentals, but they were destroyed some years ago when I was moving. There were only 77 original SE planes built before the A model was introduced, which improved wing stability greatly.

GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS

Crew: One
    Length: 20 ft 11 in (6.38 m)
    Wingspan: 26 ft 7 in (8.11 m)
    Height: 9 ft 6 in (2.89 m)
    Wing area: 444 ft˛ (22.67 m˛)
    Empty weight: 1,410 lb (639 kg)
    Loaded weight: 1,935 lb (880 kg)
    Max takeoff weight: 1,988 lb (902 kg)

PERFORMANCE

Maximum speed: 138 mph (222 km/h)
    Range: 300 miles (483 km)
    Service ceiling: 17,000 ft (5,185 m)
    Wing loading: lb/ft˛ (kg/m˛)

ARMAMENT

1x 0.303 in (7.7 mm) forward-firing Vickers machine gun with Constantinesco interrupter gear
    1x .303 in (7.7 mm) Lewis gun on Foster mounting on upper wing
    4x 18kg Cooper bombs, two under each lower wing, to be dropped in 2, 3, 4, 1 order.
    Last edited by Attila57; 04-02-2011 at 13:54.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Desaix
    Sorties Flown

I would not say it is the most "famous", the Camel is probably the most famous.
    The SE5a ended upt being a correct fighter, unlike the the original SE5 but it became obsolete when the Sopwith Snipe was released.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Marts
    Sorties Flown

Nice footage, it's always good to see original source material. I think it cuts to a scene of an observer and pilot of a 'Biff' Bristol Fighter discussing their mission over a map.
    I wouldn't agree that the Snipe made the SE5a obsolete, but I concur that the Camel is the best known British and Empire fighter of the Great War.

Great footage Attilio. You find the best films.

In later-war aircraft I really like the Bristol Fighter and the SE 5a for the Allies and the Pfalz IIIa for Germans.

So, on this sunny but cool Saturday in Ottawa, Canada, you have given me a lovely gift.

Thanks Attilio

I agree that Camel is the best known in WWI but I think we have always to take into account the SE 5a related to the specific period and opponent airplanes and the positive aid to Allied in fighting the Central Empire.

Two great machines in one film. You never cease to amaze me Attilio. Thanks for another fine bit of footage. I also watched some of the other clips, but non had the aura of that original piece.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."