Ares Games

Thread: In search of tips...

Default In search of tips...

...specifically for wheels... dreaded wheels...

Do any of the experienced kit builders and painters out there have any good tips for getting a close to "perfect" paint job on tires and wheels of vehicles? It is the one thing about painting a kit that I have the most trouble with and have come to dread doing it!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Ken!

I try to paint the rims first and detail paint the tires! I also use an 010 brush!

Rich

What exactly are you having problems with, painting the curves?

Quote Originally Posted by Stormkahn View Post
    What exactly are you having problems with, painting the curves?
    I always struggle with painting the tires without overpainting the rims... so yes the curves... and I have never found an effective way to mask things to get it right...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

You could put a black wash on the tires before you paint them. The wash should pool in the line between tire and rim, then paint the rim first, and when you paint the tire you won't have to paint so close to the rim.

I always have to touch up.

Quote Originally Posted by tuladin View Post
    You could put a black wash on the tires before you paint them. The wash should pool in the line between tire and rim, then paint the rim first, and when you paint the tire you won't have to paint so close to the rim.
    that is outstanding.. wish I had thought of that years ago.. lol..

That is a good tip.

Ken, I find if I can use a stand of some type (gimbal mounts for me) to hold the plane, I can place the bush on the tire and then use the other tire to spin the one that is getting painted. This helps me keep the brush in the correct orientation... I find it hard if I try and move the brush around the tire... if that makes sense.

I hope I'm not teach the master to suck eggs here but .....

As per the Col's suggestion, make sure your own hand rests on solid support, the paint flows freely (so it takes fewer passes) and always work with the radius of your hands motion. Don't get stressed about what the mag glass shows - it's what your eye sees at table level that matters

cheers,

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    That is a good tip.

Ken, I find if I can use a stand of some type (gimbal mounts for me) to hold the plane, I can place the bush on the tire and then use the other tire to spin the one that is getting painted. This helps me keep the brush in the correct orientation... I find it hard if I try and move the brush around the tire... if that makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormkahn View Post
    I hope I'm not teach the master to suck eggs here but .....

As per the Col's suggestion, make sure your own hand rests on solid support, the paint flows freely (so it takes fewer passes) and always work with the radius of your hands motion. Don't get stressed about what the mag glass shows - it's what your eye sees at table level that matters

cheers,

Dave.
    I hardly consider myself even close to a master... and I have a large number of tires to get in some practice on in the next few months... so hopefully, with those tips, I will have it down by then! Thanks Gentlemen!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

I like questions like yours Ken. I always learn things that I haven't thought of.

I generally paint the tyres first,i find it easier to over paint the centres last, `cutting in` up to the edge
    turning on a gimbal makes great sense too...
    I have a lamp with a lense in the centre makes all detail work much easier...
    cheers

You could try Mr hobby Mr. MASKING SOL . It is kind a rubbery suuff you paint on when done peal off. I have not used it but have been told it works

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
    You could try Mr hobby Mr. MASKING SOL . It is kind a rubbery suuff you paint on when done peal off. I have not used it but have been told it works
    I'll look into it... but with my luck I would have a hard time painting it on exactly where it needs to be.. LOL!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

You could allways trim with hobby between tyre and rim to get exact line.

You could allways trim with hobby between tyre and rim to get exact line.
    Hmmm... has potential... found some here.

I am reminded of a past interaction between the hobby blade and my thumb... need to go take some anxiety meds and some good scotch (wish I had some)...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Check with your art shop and have a look at a rigging paint brush. They have extra long soft bristtles and are designed to paint the rigging of ships in paintings. I converted a standard brush and have found that a great help with fine work like tyres, roundals etc.
    Hope this helps
    Linz

I tend to paint the whole wheel black, then with a 000 brush go over the centre slowly working outwards

Yes, that's the way I do it too

All really good ideas but I have the simplist...Paint the rim and then the tire...then add plenty of MUD!! Weathering covers all sins my son!

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    ...I am reminded of a past interaction between the hobby blade and my thumb...
    When I first saw you post that you were searching for "tips", I thought "aw heck, he did it again..."

Ken try painting tyer first then with very watered down [almost not a colour ] dab rim and let paint flo it will go darker at edge of rim . dab off exces h2o with dry brush . repeat till desired colour is achived. Better than my last idea and safer

Ken try painting tyer first then with very watered down [almost not a colour ] dab rim and let paint flo it will go darker at edge of rim . dab off exces h2o with dry brush . repeat till desired colour is achived. Better than my last idea and safer
    Yes Ken that is the way I always do mine. flood the central area, and once dry just run a little black wash into the places where the contours change.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

When I first saw you post that you were searching for "tips", I thought "aw heck, he did it again..."
    Not recently... but then due to my back injuries and a nasty cold that is finally disappearing, I have not been doing much in the way of kit building or painting. That will all be changing in the next few days... I have someone coming over to help me "spring clean" and reorganize my hobby room, and then I will be starting a large number of projects (Do not panic... I will only be barraging you with project reports on a couple, since Rob has already covered the majority of my current list.)

I shall endeavor to keep the digits attached...

Thanks for all the suggestions gents!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Not recently... but then due to my back injuries and a nasty cold that is finally disappearing, I have not been doing much in the way of kit building or painting. That will all be changing in the next few days... I have someone coming over to help me "spring clean" and reorganize my hobby room, and then I will be starting a large number of projects (Do not panic... I will only be barraging you with project reports on a couple, since Rob has already covered the majority of my current list.)

I shall endeavor to keep the digits attached...

Thanks for all the suggestions gents!
    Sorry about that Ken. We must network more closely in future. Glad to hear your cold is getting better though.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Sorry about that Ken. We must network more closely in future. Glad to hear your cold is getting better though.
    Rob.
    No apologies necessary my friend! I am building kits for the pleasure of building kits... not to produce articles. I don't see the point in putting together a major photo production, if it is a kit about which you or someone else has already produced a how to" thread or article.

I have a couple that have not been covered: I need to finish my Reviresco Camel; I have a Reviresco DRI to do; a Skytrex DVII to do. Those I will do photo "Blogs" for. I figure between a few of us, we will eventually have all of the common WWI kits covered! I also have multiple Gothas and a Staaken to build. And once the new Skytrex order comes in about 4 weeks I will have AA trucks, a winch truck and a balloon from Skytrex to cover as well... I also picked up a 1.5 Strutter thanks to your recent thread on that kit. Throw in a couple of planned WoW mini repaints too and I will be very busy for the next few months up until Origins in June. Should help me shake the winter aches, pains, and blues! (And hopefully cause no new pains!)
    Last edited by The Cowman; 04-01-2011 at 10:23.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

And once the new Skytrex order comes in about 4 weeks I will have AA trucks, a winch truck and a balloon from Skytrex to cover as well)
    I am not planning to do any of those Ken so you are safe there. The winch truck intreagues me ,however. I got one with each of my Skytrex balloons, and now need one for my WoW. one. I have bought several AA lorrys of both types, and felt sure that I had seen a winch truck on its own somewhere on the site, but can't find it anywhere. Did you manage to buy one seperate or did it come with your balloon?
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I am not planning to do any of those Ken so you are safe there. The winch truck intreagues me ,however. I got one with each of my Skytrex balloons, and now need one for my WoW. one. I have bought several AA lorrys of both types, and felt sure that I had seen a winch truck on its own somewhere on the site, but can't find it anywhere. Did you manage to buy one seperate or did it come with your balloon?
    Rob.
    It is directly above the second balloon type at the bottom of that particular page... there is no picture... just a small entry. The second balloon does not come with one... or at least is not described as coming with one. The Trucks and Drachen I will be painting for another member. I also forgot to mention the two 0/400 Handley Page bombers I ordered. Like I said, I will be a busy Cow!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	137.5 KB 
ID:	11106
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Thanks Ken-obi. The force is not with my eyes these days. That was just a case of not looking at the small print. The Drachen does come with a winch truck,or at least mine did.
    Thanks for pointing it out. I will now order it along with my next plane.
    Rob.

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Take it from somebody who used to work in the tyre industry.
    NEVER just paint tyres black, if you look closely at car tyres you will notice that their natural colour is in fact a very dark grey.
    The older they get, because of a process called `bloom` the greyer they gradually become and sometimes, because of manufacturing screw ups they can be very grey shade.
    Though if they do they seldom, if ever make it to market.
    The only truly `black` tyres can be found in garage forecourt displays where they paint them!
    During WWI the rubber compounds used often resulted in a much greyer look than we are used to now as more natural rubber and fewer oil-based synthetics were used in manufacture.
    Last edited by Rabbit 3; 04-02-2011 at 04:36.

Ken, those little tires (or tyres) will be hard...but I have full confidence in you! The suggestions made seem like good ones from experienced folks...think "round"