Ares Games

Thread: Question on Tailing Rules

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Default Question on Tailing Rules

This question came up last Friday. During a balloon scenario a Camel was being tailed by a DrI. As per the rules the Camel pilot (me) advised the DrI pilot of my next card (an Immelmann). He selected his card and with nothing to counter my move I broke the tailing and later dispatched him for my second kill. We got to discussing this rule, in the real combat the Camel pilot would not have signalled to the German, "Hey mein herr! I'm going to do an Immelmann now, wot!" The German would have seen the Camel dive and begin a roll not knowing for sure if it was going to be an Immelmann, bank, roll, or a wing over.

This was in our last flight of the evening and afte this discussion during our put away we thought of trying this idea out: instead of revealing the card the "tailee" indicates the move in generalities without revealing the actual maneouver, e.g., "I am descending", "moving forward", "Climbing", "turning left", etc. Of course, this may make things too complicated. However, you all have been playing this alot longer than we, has this already been covered and ruled moot?

We're playing again Wednesday and if this has been covered and found that the current is the best way let me know so we're not fixing something that is not broken.

Thanks for any input.

I've wondered about the tailing rules myself. If you are on your second card when you get into a tailing position you only have one card to play so there is no advantage to the tailing aircraft. Or are we reading the rules wrong and once tailing begins the tailing aircraft gets to pick three new cards that they can choose from?
    Linz

Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Good question Lindsay, I assumed the tailing a/c had to select from the three or what's remaining of his movement cards. But, you're right if it's the third card, idk for sure.

You guys are playing it correct as is. You only get to rearrange the cards you have already selected. This offsets the issue Hunter was talking about. You don't know exactly what the other pilot is doing, so you only get to react to his moves... not actively plan against them.

Quote Originally Posted by Linz View Post
    I've wondered about the tailing rules myself. If you are on your second card when you get into a tailing position you only have one card to play so there is no advantage to the tailing aircraft. Or are we reading the rules wrong and once tailing begins the tailing aircraft gets to pick three new cards that they can choose from?
    Linz
    You can't get into a tailing postion in the middle of a turn - only at the start. Here's the rule:

Tailing is possible only between two aircraft that were in tailing position at the beginning of the turn. If a plane can tail two or more enemies, he must choose only one for the current turn. Note that the tailing aircraft must put three manoeuvre cards down. This is so that, if for some reason he no longer tails the same plane, he must follow his original plans. Since tailing can only begin at the start of a turn, it is not possible to begin tailing a new plane during the three manoeuvres of the turn, but it is possible to lose tailing ability.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Thank you guys, upon further reflection based upon the responses and rule clarification I will not be incorporating any changes to the current tailing rules. This is what's great about this site.

Quote Originally Posted by tuladin View Post
    You can't get into a tailing postion in the middle of a turn - only at the start. Here's the rule:

Tailing is possible only between two aircraft that were in tailing position at the beginning of the turn. If a plane can tail two or more enemies, he must choose only one for the current turn. Note that the tailing aircraft must put three manoeuvre cards down. This is so that, if for some reason he no longer tails the same plane, he must follow his original plans. Since tailing can only begin at the start of a turn, it is not possible to begin tailing a new plane during the three manoeuvres of the turn, but it is possible to lose tailing ability.
    Once again...Larry the Rule Meister to the rescue...don't know why I bother to read the rules when the Ohio folks are lucky enough to have a great, in-house resource!! Thanks ...