Ares Games

Thread: Pre-programmed Opponent Concept

Default Pre-programmed Opponent Concept

I've been tossing around the idea of how a pre-programmed opponent might work. This would essentially be an AI that could be used to just mess around solitaire.

The basic idea would be that the opponent would choose some pre-determined and random actions based on the current positioning and relative health levels of the planes on the board.

So there's an evaluation of the overall tactical picture, the elimination of certain types of intentionally harmful actions (flying off board, collisions, etc.) and then some random element that helps keep the opponent somewhat unpredictable.

There is no substitute for a human opponent for many reasons, but this is more of an exercise in logical planning.

Basically the evaluation of the tactical conditions break down to a posture choice for the AI. Will it be aggressive, defensive, or balanced.

The more points the more aggressive:

1 point for each yes answer:

__ Enemy plane is in front of the AI plane
    __ AI planes have a numbers advantage
    __ AI plane has less than half its damage already taken
    __ AI plane can complete a series of 3 maneuvers that would result in an enemy plane being in firing range & arc
    __ AI plane has no special damage currently affecting it

0-1 = Defensive
    2-3 = Balanced
    4 or 5 = Aggressive

The AI then removes all possible illegal moves from the maneuver deck in the following order:
    - Move against rules
    - Move that would result in a collision or have a high chance of collision
    - Move that would take the plane off the board

The AI then evaluates a possible scenario that may require immediate action and takes top priority:
    - Avoid a collision (Right or Left move determined at random by die roll (even = Left & odd = Right if there is a non-illegal choice)
    - Take a shot Must take all potential shots at planes regardless of range
    - Check for Tailing and play by tailing rules
    - If being fired upon, or likely to be fired upon, immediate evasive action.
    - If firing advantage can be had, maneuver into it

Barring any choice of appropriate action beyond that I need ideas on how to actually build out the AI sequence. It should be somewhat random. I have an idea to create various strategies that can be employed (altitude change, S Turn, Favor Immelman, weave, etc.)

In terms of setting target priority, I think it best to have the AI pilots always focused on the target with the most damage cards (not damage, but cards) to try to create some kind of imbalance in their favor.

The game sequence would be:

1 - Planning Human
    2 - Planning AI
    3 - Execution

In this way the Human player(s) would always be at a knowledge disadvantage to the AI and the "randomness" of playing against another human could help be preserved.

I've done something along those lines for solo games already. The version in the campaign rules I've got in the Files section is a bit simpler than the original version I'd been messing about with, but I think it works far better than the more complicated one (which was basically a flow chart system, but I was having to add in so many steps to cover new situations coming up during play I gave up on it). I eventually went with just having a few general guidelines for basic movement/targeting with a semi-random evasion system and simple morale rules. Might be worth checking out to see if any of it's of use to you.

I'll be very interested to see how your solo rules develop. Good luck with them

The Solo rules thing is certainly an asset to isolated gamers who don't get many other chances to play. I have messed about with some ideas in the past, but not come up with anything much, so all power to you and anyone who can come up with a workable system. It can only prove to be another asset in the advancement of the game.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Keith,

Thanks for taking the time to explore the solo concept...let us know how this works if you get a few plays in?