Ares Games

View Poll Results: Wich is your favourite WWI dogfight movie?

Voters
254. You may not vote on this poll
  • "Richthofen, der rote Ritter der Luft", 1927, Germany

0 0%
  • "Wings", 1929, USA,

4 1.57%
  • "Hell's Angels", 1930, USA

7 2.76%
  • "The Dawn Patrol", 1930, USA

3 1.18%
  • The Dawn Patrol" (Remake), 1938, USA

13 5.12%
  • "Pour le Mérite", 1938, Germany

1 0.39%
  • "Lafayette Escadrille", 1958, USA

2 0.79%
  • "The Blue Max", 1966, USA

112 44.09%
  • "Von Richthofen and Brown", 1971, USA

5 1.97%
  • "The Great Waldo Pepper", 1975, USA

4 1.57%
  • "Aces High", 1976, USA

24 9.45%
  • "Flyboys", 2006, USA

30 11.81%
  • "The Red Baron", 2008, Germany

49 19.29%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which is the best WWI Air-War movie?

Nezza

Quote Originally Posted by Willi Von Klugermann View Post
    Ursula Undress has everthing to do with it !!!!

Believe me, I know. Willi
    Well Willi...I bet you a bottle of 1903 champagne...

Quote Originally Posted by Nezza View Post
    Well Willi...I bet you a bottle of 1903 champagne...
    And after you too have had a few bottles the truth will come out. hehe

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    And after you too have had a few bottles the truth will come out. hehe
    Only the truth Tom! i think that was a bit of a boob.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Only the truth Tom! i think that was a bit of a boob.
    Rob.
    Thank you old boy for keeping me abreast of the situation!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Just didn't want you to find out via tittle tattle in the mess old bean.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Intriguing that nobody has seen (or enjoyed?) the 1930 version of 'The Dawn Patrol'. It gives something of a lie to the axiom that the original is always the best.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Just didn't want you to find out via tittle tattle in the mess old bean.
    Kyte.
    Touche! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    Intriguing that nobody has seen (or enjoyed?) the 1930 version of 'The Dawn Patrol'. It gives something of a lie to the axiom that the original is always the best.
    I just haven't seen it. Have you seen both and if so which one did you like better?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Saw the 2008 version of The Red Baron yesterday on DVD. This was the most stupid movie since Jaws, the Revenge, you know, the Jaws movie where shark is faster than the 747 Jetliner by beating the cast to the Caribean. I digress, in The Red Baron the Red Baron and Brown are BFF's and Brown gives him pointers on how to score with this nurse in France. MvR shoots down Brown and befriends him in the POW camp. They both meet this nurse and Brown advises MvR to get after it. I could not believe this movie! Well I guess I could nowadays, but, I could not believe that people went to see this drivel. Well, I got my revenge and saved the world from that particular DVD...slung it like frisbee and 12 gauged it to shreds with a magnum turkey load of number 2 buckshot. Out in the desert, of course, where no one will ever find the remains. >:-(

Consider yourselves warned, watch this movie at your own risk!!! Horrible, horrible movie, 940 thumbs down!

I am still new to the 'drome so I held back, but I'd like to be able to tell you how I really feel about this movie! ;-0

Saw the 2008 version of The Red Baron yesterday on DVD. This was the most stupid movie since Jaws, the Revenge, you know, the Jaws movie where shark is faster than the 747 Jetliner by beating the cast to the Caribean. I digress, in The Red Baron the Red Baron and Brown are BFF's and Brown gives him pointers on how to score with this nurse in France. MvR shoots down Brown and befriends him in the POW camp. They both meet this nurse and Brown advises MvR to get after it. I could not believe this movie! Well I guess I could nowadays, but, I could not believe that people went to see this drivel. Well, I got my revenge and saved the world from that particular DVD...slung it like frisbee and 12 gauged it to shreds with a magnum turkey load of number 2 buckshot. Out in the desert, of course, where no one will ever find the remains. >:-(

Consider yourselves warned, watch this movie at your own risk!!! Horrible, horrible movie, 940 thumbs down!

I am still new to the 'drome so I held back, but I'd like to be able to tell you how I really feel about this movie! ;-0
    So Terry don't mince words...what do you really mean.

HAHAHAHA!!!

That is hysterical Terry!

I gotta re-iterate what I posted earlier...Wings was a great movie. I would not have even heard of it if I hadn't been on this forum. It's on Youtube and it's free.

Yes, it's a silent movie but you won't even care after the first one or two parts.

I voted for it on principle alone.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Next I am going to try and get a copy of Dawn Patrol with Errol Flynn and watch it. It has to better than that unmentionable movie I reviewed earlier!

Since this discussion I've been looking for the Blue Max, seen it when I was ten. Like many things, it seems classics are disappearing. Good news. Costco (USA) has the following movies in a DVD collection:
    - The Blue Max - 1966
    - The Desert Fox - 1951
    - Immortal Sergeant - 1943
    - Sink the Bismarck - 1960
    Not bad for $8.99

Got too excited and hit the button twice!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by FQIrving View Post
    Since this discussion I've been looking for the Blue Max, seen it when I was ten. Like many things, it seems classics are disappearing. Good news. Costco (USA) has the following movies in a DVD collection:
    - The Blue Max - 1966
    - The Desert Fox - 1951
    - Immortal Sergeant - 1943
    - Sink the Bismarck - 1960
    Not bad for $8.99
    Snatch 'em up! Those are all great movies.

Now i'm going to watch the last 4 episodes of "Wings" BBC series

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
    Now i'm going to watch the last 4 episodes of "Wings" BBC series
    Can't seem to find that series here in the states. Any help would be appreciated.

Tom

Order from Amazon.co.uk Could be a bit steep on postage to ship oversea though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
    Order from Amazon.co.uk Could be a bit steep on postage to ship oversea though.
    You got a link?

You can find Wings at Amazon UK here, but its not available in region 1 format, so you'll need a dvd player that can play a region 2 dvd.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Gino
    Sorties Flown

The Blue Max for me ("La caduta delle aquile" in italian). It's the only one I have seen on the theme.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    Thanks Larry. Is Piece of Cake the series any good?

Tom
    I would say yes, but I saw it when it first came out and that was a while ago. IIRC it was good, I enjoyed it.

I also saw Piece of Cake and enjoyed the heck out of it.

On the subject of the poll, though followed very closely by both Wings and the Flynn/Niven Dawn Patrol, my favorite, is Hell's Angels. The dogfighting is epic in scope, more than one person actually died in the making, and Hughes himself crashed doing a stunt all the actual WWI aces said couldn't be done. Guess they were right
    Last edited by Harrier; 06-08-2011 at 08:37. Reason: confusing misspell

Quote Originally Posted by Bartman View Post
    ...Wings was a great movie. I would not have even heard of it if I hadn't been on this forum...Yes, it's a silent movie but you won't even care after the first one or two parts...
    I wish more were able to see more silents. Most people only know of them as the slapstick of Chaplin and Keaton, but there were a lot of great films in the pre-talkie era.

I admit Daniel, that I am quite ignorant of most silent films.

But I watched Wings and was more entertained than most of the modern crap that I see in theaters.

Keep Austin weird!

Quote Originally Posted by Bartman View Post
    I admit Daniel, that I am quite ignorant of most silent films...!
    Well, it's difficult to blame you for ignorance. There aren't a lot of opportunities for most folk to be exposed. I haven't had cable for some time but TCM (or AMC, I forget which) used to have Silent Sundays which ran for a few hours but started at midnight, so not a lot of viewers there

Exclamation

Next I am going to try and get a copy of Dawn Patrol with Errol Flynn and watch it. It has to better than that unmentionable movie I reviewed earlier!
    Its available on DVD from Amazon!
    Incidentally I watched "Aces High" again last night & you know it just gets better each time I see it!

So Terry have you got and seen Dawn Patrol yet? Love to hear what you think of it. I really like the film and have seen it many times. I'm bringing a copy to Origins.

Tom

I think the first 'Dawn Patrol' was my first one,still love it. But my Favorite, not very sure yet, haven't seen all the movies listed by everyone. Have 'Hells Angels', Fly Boys, Blue Max,Wings. I always say when I watch 'Wings', I wish someone would dub in a sound track or at least sound 'FX'. I have a bunch of the movies I don't have yet listed on my 'Watch/Buy list on [Evil-Bay], I just missed
    'Aces High', must find it again. Love Blue Max, Fly Boys was 'ok', But 'Zeppelin', can't wait to buy it, Love that movie! I would like to end up owning all the WWI movies, Air & Land battles. I have and like a lot is the "Lost Battalion", love all the old B/W films,'Fighting
    69th', 'SGT. York', I'm glad theres a good list of old and new movies on this time period. A Hugh Favorite, 'The Lt. Horseman',
    Australian Lt. Horsemen!!!

Fabric Flyer

I haven't had an opportunity to see any of these except "Flyboys"! I know it gets a lot of flack. It's not great history, but I found it enjoyable. Thanks for the great list. I've already been intent on tracking down "The Blue Max", "Dawn Patrol" & "The Red Baron" (though it takes more flack than "Flyboys" it seems, so I dunno...), but now I can add more films to the list.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    I haven't had an opportunity to see any of these except "Flyboys"! I know it gets a lot of flack. It's not great history, but I found it enjoyable. Thanks for the great list. I've already been intent on tracking down "The Blue Max", "Dawn Patrol" & "The Red Baron" (though it takes more flack than "Flyboys" it seems, so I dunno...), but now I can add more films to the list.
    Hi Rob. The Red Baron whilst "horrible" from a historical point of view is worth watching for the Action. Some great paint schemes especially on the non flying aircraft in the ground scenes.
    The German director wanted to make an Anti War movie of all things & makes out MvR was against the War. What absolute ROT!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Hi Rob. The Red Baron whilst "horrible" from a historical point of view is worth watching for the Action. Some great paint schemes especially on the non flying aircraft in the ground scenes.
    The German director wanted to make an Anti War movie of all things & makes out MvR was against the War. What absolute ROT!!!!
    Hurm. So I've heard. Very sad. The more I've heard about it, the less thrilled I am to get around to seeing it. TBH, the one I'm intent on seeing first is "The Blue Max", followed by "Dawn Patrol", "Hells Angels" & "Aces High".

Of course there is something ELSE being released now that is demanding MORE of my attention ( &) right now......

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

The thing I`ve always wanted to know was how she kept that towel in place

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit 3 View Post
    Gravity Robert.
    Kyte.

can I vote for Flyboys as the one that sucks the most?

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Gallo Rojo View Post
    can I vote for Flyboys as the one that sucks the most?
    You could but I take it you`ve never seen `Gunbus`.
    Believe me, `Flyboys` is `The Blue Max `by comparison.

You could but I take it you`ve never seen `Gunbus`.
    Believe me, `Flyboys` is `The Blue Max `by comparison.
    busted!

Red Baron 2008 only for the beautiful visuals

Thumbs up

Maybe sheer willpower or velcro!

Just to prove Ursula looks good in anything heres one in Flying Kit.

Blue Max Countess Kaeti von Klugermann.jpg

Makeup + Flying Helmet = Impractical.

Ok, I'm just jealous.

20 odd votes for "The Red Baron" - you have got to be kidding me! I found it nearly unwatchable and gave my DVD copy away. I was so looking forward to seeing it too!

Still quite enjoy the old "Wings" BBC TV series with Tim Woodward that introduced me to the Fokker Eiii. Quite often the script is stilted but the flying sequences are good. There have been several episodes uploaded to You Tube from the first series.

Here is a brief taster, although I am not sure how it will present on the forum - as a link probably.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jesjp8aFD7g

Default: Blue Max.
    Chris, I'm so glad you punctuated that last line of yours....

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
    Still quite enjoy the old "Wings" BBC TV series with Tim Woodward that introduced me to the Fokker Eiii. Quite often the script is stilted but the flying sequences are good. There have been several episodes uploaded to You Tube from the first series.
    You can still get the complete series of Wings on Amazon for £28. Nigel.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    Makeup + Flying Helmet = Impractical.

Ok, I'm just jealous.
    3 1/2 years old Valeria, one early morning when we were leaving to Sicily, asked me: "Can I go on the airplane wearing a skirt?"
    "Yes of course", said I. "Why do you ask?"
    "Porco Rosso says you should not", she answered.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    3 1/2 years old Valeria, one early morning when we were leaving to Sicily, asked me: "Can I go on the airplane wearing a skirt?"
    "Yes of course", said I. "Why do you ask?"
    "Porco Rosso says you should not", she answered.
    It is incredible what children remember, and how they view the world Andrea.
    That did make me smile.
    Maybe Porco Rosso should have been included in this poll.
    Rob.

I quoted it on purpose because it was worth to, but I think it can stay out of the poll. Most of it is set after WW1, only a very few scenes are in 1915-1918.

Somebody played Porco Rosso scenarios with WoW (some cards are downloadable from BGG, Famous Aces page).

I quoted it on purpose because it was worth to, but I think it can stay out of the poll. Most of it is set after WW1, only a very few scenes are in 1915-1918.

Somebody played Porco Rosso scenarios with WoW (some cards are downloadable from BGG, Famous Aces page).
    Just my joke about Porco Andrea.
    But thanks for your story. My good Lady found it very amusing.
    Rob.

Most of it is set after WW1, only a very few scenes are in 1915-1918.
    Yes, but we have aircraft (and official unofficial stats) for those parts...

674x501_616080_474515_1340813851.jpg
    674x501_610384_468023_1340275497.jpg
    674x501_415475_351423_1338416739.jpg

674x501_410970_349195_1338416729.jpg

austria_hansenbrandenbourgCC.jpg
    italy_macchiM5.jpg
    500px-PorcoRosso_Macchi-M5_CIMG3968.jpg

I think we may even be able to make a diorama of this scene..

500px-Porcorossowar.jpg

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. WOG the Movie
    By Dowters in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-07-2016, 05:14
  2. New movie
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12-13-2013, 18:06
  3. 8th AF Movie