Ares Games

View Poll Results: Wich is your favourite WWI dogfight movie?

Voters
254. You may not vote on this poll
  • "Richthofen, der rote Ritter der Luft", 1927, Germany

0 0%
  • "Wings", 1929, USA,

4 1.57%
  • "Hell's Angels", 1930, USA

7 2.76%
  • "The Dawn Patrol", 1930, USA

3 1.18%
  • The Dawn Patrol" (Remake), 1938, USA

13 5.12%
  • "Pour le Mérite", 1938, Germany

1 0.39%
  • "Lafayette Escadrille", 1958, USA

2 0.79%
  • "The Blue Max", 1966, USA

112 44.09%
  • "Von Richthofen and Brown", 1971, USA

5 1.97%
  • "The Great Waldo Pepper", 1975, USA

4 1.57%
  • "Aces High", 1976, USA

24 9.45%
  • "Flyboys", 2006, USA

30 11.81%
  • "The Red Baron", 2008, Germany

49 19.29%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Which is the best WWI Air-War movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Olt^Jones View Post
    i liked very much the "Blue Max" film with a great George "hannibal smith" Peppard
    "I love it when a plan comes together..."

Crossing the Line (2008) by Peter Jackson, despite not being a choice, is pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    I voted for "Aces High" for its gritty realism. Also because it stars Malcolm McDowell (one of my favourite actors), Peter Firth (star of Spooks and the excellent movie "Lifeforce") and because I remember seeing some of the aerial scenes being filmed when I was young. (Its a British film, not US, although it was released in 1976).
    Hmmm...

I haven't seen most of these movies, maybe the worst four.

But, Dave... "Lifeforce"? An excellent movie? We should take this discussion off thread, though.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Don't do it WingCo, it's on a par with the Ares Sopwith Trirubbish
    The only good thing is the actual gun bus itself
    Thanks for the tip off Chris, I will re allocate my resources then.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Hmmm...

I haven't seen most of these movies, maybe the worst four.

But, Dave... "Lifeforce"? An excellent movie? We should take this discussion off thread, though.

"Lifeforce"? - BL**DY AWFUL!!!!!!! I wasted 1.5 hours of my life on this, and have STILL not got them back! (Sorry - don't have time to go off thread, or to throw any more good time after bad!)

Philistines, you guys just can't appreciate good, camp sci fi

Or Matilda May

Just picked up Flyboys today at the princely sum of 3€ so I am heartened by its votes so far. Got to go for Aces High, Although BM was a close second

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Philistines, you guys just can't appreciate good, camp sci fi

Or Matilda May
    Unfair, Mr. Manley... unfair! I have much appreciation for Mathilda May... and vampires from space! But the movie was pretty rotten...

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    Crossing the Line (2008) by Peter Jackson, despite not being a choice, is pretty good.
    A shame the full length versions isn't on line
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mike
    Sorties Flown

I voted for "The Blue Max," but was surprised to see the results of the poll thus far,

I haven't seen all that many WWI air movies, and appreciate this poll, as it serves as a "Bucket List" of movies I need to view.

I've only ever watched Flyboys. But now... i have a whole new "must watch" list.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mike
    Sorties Flown

I've seen Flyboys, Red Baron ('08), Waldo Pepper, and of course Blue Max. I guess Waldo Pepper is a WWI flying movie, but I didn't think of it as such until I saw this poll. It was a pleasure to see the Jenny's and DrI's. I'm a bit ashamed to say I can't remember what allied plane Waldo flew in the final "dogfight" sequence. Was it a Camel?

I also enjoyed enjoyed a lot: Fly Boy , Red Baron ('08) , Blue Max etc but there is one that I liked very much is L'instinct de l'Ange (The Instinct of the Angel ) translated into English by Angel's Wing ) a French film 1992/93 of Richard Dembo, that is inspired by the life of Guynemer with Lambert Wilson in the main role.

Here's a review of the one on The Blog " War Movie Buff " :

https://warmoviebuff.blogspot.com/20...wing-1993.html

" The strength of the movie is its unusual script and its unique take on WWI air combat. The movie had a limited number of aircraft available, but they are vintage. You get to see a Morane, Farman, Spad, Rumpler, and Fokker Dr. 1. The acrobatics are outstanding. There is no use of CGI so the movie is the opposite of “Fly Boys”. The movie gets some nice touches in. We see a listening post that has four giant hearing aids. It is really neat to see Henri have to stand up in flight to change his machine gun drum. There is not a lot of actual dogfighting and all of it is duels instead of melees. No one shoots down a plane except Henri.
    The movie could have easily been a play and that’s a compliment.

It’s not the best dogfighting movie, but it is worth the watch.
    "

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    I guess Waldo Pepper is a WWI flying movie, but I didn't think of it as such until I saw this poll. It was a pleasure to see the Jenny's and DrI's. I'm a bit ashamed to say I can't remember what allied plane Waldo flew in the final "dogfight" sequence. Was it a Camel?
    Yup.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I haven't seen all of the choices, but I certainly enjoyed "Red Baron" enough to warrant a few re-watches. I show a few clips of it to my students, too (who are thrilled by the aerial sequences).

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mike
    Sorties Flown

I was working on some planes and tanks on my workbench this past weekend and had some old VHS tapes in the machine at the time. It doesn't qualify as either a WWI or war movie at all, but it is a great flying movie. Jimmy Stewart as Charles Lindbergh in "Spirit of Saint Louis." After all these years, I was still on the edge of my seat as the Spirit was picking up ice over the North Atlantic.

Maybe a bit WWI air war related, as it does mention the French ace Nungesser and his attempt at the Paris to New York crossing. I'm not so familiar with his co-pilot Coli (spelling?).

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    I was working on some planes and tanks on my workbench this past weekend and had some old VHS tapes in the machine at the time. It doesn't qualify as either a WWI or war movie at all, but it is a great flying movie. Jimmy Stewart as Charles Lindbergh in "Spirit of Saint Louis." After all these years, I was still on the edge of my seat as the Spirit was picking up ice over the North Atlantic.

Maybe a bit WWI air war related, as it does mention the French ace Nungesser and his attempt at the Paris to New York crossing. I'm not so familiar with his co-pilot Coli (spelling?).
    François Coli :

François_Coli.png

" Transferred to the French Air Service, gaining his pilot's brevet in March 1916. Late that year he joined*Escadrille*N.62 and rose to command the squadron in February 19 "

Captain Coli remained as chief of the Escadrille des Coqs even after losing an eye in a crash in March 1918. He departed the Roosters that August with a reputation as an exceptional navigator and leader " :
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran%C3%A7ois_Coli

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mike
    Sorties Flown

Thanks Bruno!

François COLI (who disappeared with Nungesser during the attempt to cross the Atlantic in 1927 on board the Oiseau Blanc) was the victim of an accident during the war during which he had an incredible attitude (and showed an exemplary sense of humor) :

On March 10, 1918, while returning from a reconnaisance mission, the SPAD VII, piloted by Capt. François COLI, crashed into a Bessonneau hangar. Among other injuries, he had his eye torn out. His men were shocked, the medical service arrived, but the Captain energetically refused to be evacuated without having given orders that he considered urgent.
    His face is pale, his suffering is immense despite his efforts to hide it, he manages to articulate the following order:
    "To write immediately on a sign the following order: It is forbidden for all men of this squadron except their leader to enter the hangars with their aircraft by any other way than through the doors provided for this purpose."
    The order was carried out and Coli, evacuated, left behind him a squadron whose courage was further galvanized by the extraordinary attitude of a leader they admired.
    After being treated at the Val de Grâce and Lariboisiere hospitals, he resumed his command on April 24, 1918.

http://albindenis.free.fr/Site_escad...ille062-03.htm

696022EB-ADB1-4132-9E97-88E4AAFD25F4.jpeg

An interesting aside monse.
    Maybe they should make a movie of this.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Similar Missions

1. WOG the Movie
    By Dowters in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-07-2016, 05:14
  2. New movie
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12-13-2013, 18:06
  3. 8th AF Movie
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club