Ares Games

Thread: Altitude Climb counters and firing

Default Altitude Climb counters and firing

Just a thought.
    Two aircraft both need 4 climb counters to go up one level.
    One is at level 2 the other at 2 plus 2 climb counters (2 climb counters apart) both are at long range both do a split s and lose one climb counter. Both aircraft are still the same height difference apart (2 climb counters apart) but because one is now on level 1 plus 3 climb counters and the other level 2 plus 1 climb counter they now have to be at close range to be able to shoot.
    Have I got the rules wrong?
    Is there a way round this?
    Should climb counters be taken into account with firing especially in regard to two seaters rear guns?
    Would welcome our thoughts
    Linz

Spot on, remember though that the climb counters are just an arbitrary way of determining when you change altitude band and don't actually indicate height.

For the WW2 bombers I have rules that dorsal turrets cannot fire on targets of a lower altitude. The pilot can change the attitude of the a/c to bring the guns to bare hence +/-1 altitude but the rear gunner doesn't. It seems to reward the pilot who can get low and behind the 2 seater which matches with what little I've read but there are older and wiser heads around here.....

cheers,

Dave.

Wilst the climb counters don't indicate height they do suggest that an aircraft is transitioning through a level and as such are able to be measured as percentages through that level. If we were to allow firing from one half level to the next half level then it would give a more accurate representation of attacks from below or above. To get to a Half level you would need to have done at least half the number of climbs needed to get to another level. eg If an aircraft takes 6 climb counters to move from on level to the next then half level would be 3 climb counters, 4 - 2 , 2 - 1 and the seimens stuckett DIV could fire at any aircraft that is at its half level.
    Would like your thoughts.
    Linz

Whilst this has given me concern for some time, I decided that for the speed and simplicity of the game as intended I would stick with the simple rules. Getting people to accept altitude rules is hard enough without added complications.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

May give it a test flight here anyway. Worth a try.
    Linz

I tend to agree with Rob...keep things simple...I believe it's great to have folks "tinker" with the rules; but for me, I prefer the plain vanilla ones as written...except of course for those areas which are unclear