Ares Games

Thread: Upcoming Ospreys

Default Upcoming Ospreys

Been mooching through Amazon and found a few WW1 aviation Ospreys you might not be aware of:

Zeppelin Base Raids - published April
    Albatros vs SPAD - published April
    Naval Aces of WW1 Part 1 - published July
    60 Sqn RFC/RAF - Published September

The last two I wasn't aware of, as they aren't showing on Osprey's own site. Looks like the Naval Aces one is a 2-parter.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Thanks Gunners. I already have 60 Squadron pre ordered, but did not know about Naval Aces of WW1 either.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Well I just received Jasta 18 so looks like another order in for Amazon , cheers for the gen Steve

Well Steve, I have just mortgaged myself up to the hilt and pre ordered Zeppelin Base Raids and Naval Aces of WW1 Part 1.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Sitting back waiting for mine too, along with several books on Spanish Civil War aviation that I can't really justify/afford/translate, but so must have!

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Sitting back waiting for mine too, along with several books on Spanish Civil War aviation that I can't really justify/afford/translate, but so must have!
    What are these books of which you speak, I find your words intreging??

Quote Originally Posted by Stormkahn View Post
    What are these books of which you speak, I find your words intreging??
    Well, they are a collection of pages held together with horse-glue, with a hardback or softback cover, and covered in words and pictures.

Oh, you mean which books!

Aces of the Legion Condor (Osprey)
    Fiat CR.32 Aces of the SCW (Osprey)
    Polikarpov Aces (Osprey)
    Spanish Aces of WW1 (Osprey)
    (OK I made the last one up)
    Air War over Spain (Classic Colours)
    Flak Artillery of the Legion Condor (Schiffer)

And - definitely one to keep quiet about the price when conversing with the officer-in-charge - The Mexican Suitcase

I knew I shouldn't have read 'Homage to Catalonia' again.....

Edit: Hmm, interesting - I picked up a brand new copy of Putnam's book on SCW aircraft from a bookseller at Duxford air show a couple of years ago out of his odds and ends box for a tenner. I see someone on Amazon is trying to flog a used one for £107!
    Last edited by Guntruck; 03-18-2011 at 07:03.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

£107 is the *cheapest* one on there.... That features quite prominently on my list of books I'd love to blunder into at a non-insane price some time....

What do you consider a 'non-insane' price?

Well, they are a collection of pages held together with horse-glue, with a hardback or softback cover, and covered in words and pictures.

Oh, you mean which books!

Aces of the Legion Condor (Osprey)
    Fiat CR.32 Aces of the SCW (Osprey)
    Polikarpov Aces (Osprey)
    Spanish Aces of WW1 (Osprey)
    (OK I made the last one up)
    Air War over Spain (Classic Colours)
    Flak Artillery of the Legion Condor (Schiffer)

And - definitely one to keep quiet about the price when conversing with the officer-in-charge - The Mexican Suitcase

I knew I shouldn't have read 'Homage to Catalonia' again.....

Edit: Hmm, interesting - I picked up a brand new copy of Putnam's book on SCW aircraft from a bookseller at Duxford air show a couple of years ago out of his odds and ends box for a tenner. I see someone on Amazon is trying to flog a used one for £107!
    Smarty pants!!!

OK, nothing I haven't got or spotted except for that expensive one...

P.S.Waterstones have it in stock for £40

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

What do you consider a 'non-insane' price?
    Well at the moment about £2.50, but only 'cos I've just paid off a credit card, so have about £3 left on the overdraft (ahh, the millionaire lifestyle of a semi-professional decalist....) but in general I start wincing at £30 and very rarely go over £50 for a book; High In The Empty Blue being the only recent exception, but I wanted that one badly....

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Just spotted your PS Dave, but they don't actually have any stores reporting a copy in stock anywhere, and "availability uncertain" for the website. Might give it a try on the off chance next time I'm not broke though, otherwise I've spotted a Danish bookshop with a copy....

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    Well at the moment about £2.50, but only 'cos I've just paid off a credit card, so have about £3 left on the overdraft (ahh, the millionaire lifestyle of a semi-professional decalist....) but in general I start wincing at £30 and very rarely go over £50 for a book; High In The Empty Blue being the only recent exception, but I wanted that one badly....
    I asked because there is a second-hand bookshop in London that has been getting a few Putnams in lately - the RFC one was about 20-odd squids. I'll keep an eye out when I'm in there next.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Nice one, thanks a lot.

Dom