Ares Games

Thread: Prop Swap

Default Prop Swap

I'm assuming it should be very simple (but potentially brutal), but has anyone tried to extract and insert propellers on WoW minis, and if so how did you do it? I'm looking at swapping 2- and 4-blade props between some of my DH4s and SE5as, as the minis are incorrect for the aircraft I'm depicting.
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 03-05-2011 at 12:47. Reason: Sp

Haven't done it myself, but you might be able to very carefully cut them off and swap them...

I dont know about swaps, but there is certainly info on here about removal of props to insert spinning discs to replicate moving props, and also trimming four bladed to two. Maybe the chaps who have done this will be willing to give you some help.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Heres the way I make Props when I'm Scratch building or a different one to that which is supplied in the kit.
    I carve/shape them out of a strip of plastic card 1.5mm using my Modelling knife and fine files. Take it easy I tend to make three to get two. Cut them to length, scrape the edge to get the blade angle don't forget to leave the centre boss, then file of scraping marks and shape prop with file. Rounded files help to get shape by boss, to finish I drill a hole though the centre boss and insert a peice of 1.2mm plactic rod have it protrude slightly at the front.
    Four bladed Props I make from a square of plastic card that I cut down to a cross(keep the offcuts they are a good size for making wheels from) then shape them the same way as two blade
    Hope this is of some help. Check my scratch built album

Lindsay

Lindsay,

Thanks; I'll try some 'deconstruction' first, but if no joy there, will look at scratch-building. Will let you know how it goes.

When I broke off a prop from a SE5a it was a simple matter of using snips to cut of the opposite one. With these spare blades try Super-Gluing them to the two props to make 4 blades. This may save you destroying the whole set.
    Apology is this is suck eggs

Here is how I would do it.
    Snip off the props to be swapped. Snip the stem as close to the hub as you can, and then drill it out a little with a pin vise drill. Drill the engine side as well with the pin vise drill. Snip a little wire and glue it into the holes you just bored. Done. Easy, and very strong.

Zach

Zach,

Thanks; that's more along the lines of what I waws thinking, with Linz's scratch-build as a backstop.

I just pull them off.. they have the back end melted a little.. and they just popped off for me.. but not all might be so easy.. but all my DR1s came right off and so did my Camels.. just having trouble finding good material for the new shafts.. I am gonna put clear circles of plastic on for that spinning effect.. but need something that can cut a good hole in th ecenter.. lol.. already have something to cut the round discs out.. ah well.. just my 2 cents..

That is well worth knowing. I have been a little shy of trying anything as drastic as that, but may now make a few cosmetic adjustments myself.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by rote Flügel View Post
    I just pull them off.. they have the back end melted a little.. and they just popped off for me.. but not all might be so easy.. but all my DR1s came right off and so did my Camels.. just having trouble finding good material for the new shafts.. I am gonna put clear circles of plastic on for that spinning effect.. but need something that can cut a good hole in th ecenter.. lol.. already have something to cut the round discs out.. ah well.. just my 2 cents..
    You can probably use Music Wire, they come in multiple sizes and are in steel so solid. That's what I use when I want to pin one part on another.

If you are using Epxoy Glue then a cut down sewing pin could be used to fix round disc with the head as the prop boss. Must be pretty close to scale me thinks