Ares Games

Thread: Construction begins

Default Construction begins

Working on this Austrian-Hungarian Danube river flotilla gun boat. I'm going to work up a scenario with it being attacked by Serbian planes. Balsa Wood arrived today and I have most of the supplies. Wish me luck, and I will be posting pics!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails zmc_csuka-type.jpg  

Oooh /grabs popcorn

Danube, boats, Serbians, planes, shift up Dave and put the bowl in the middle, this I wanna see

Looks like a very interesting project that could hopefully lead some of us into very bad ways.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Mark!

Keep us up to date on your construction.

rich

Anyone with a vast library know what the Serbian rondals looked like? If they even used any? I am pretty sure of the aircraft types, can't find anything on markings yet...

Thanks for the help.

Hope this helps:...

Serbian Aircraft markings
    1912-1915

"Roundel" and fin flash of the Serbian Air Force, 1912-1915 - Images by Tomislav Todorović, 3 January 2008

The first aircraft markings of the Serbian Air Force were officially adopted in 1913, but were actually used since its founding in 1912. As the roundel - or more precisely, instead of it - the outer half of the bottom side of the wing (from the midline to the wingtip) was completely painted as the Serbian flag, width of each field being one third of the chord line, red being placed at the front edge of the wing. As the fin flash, the vertical stabilizer was completely painted as the flag.

Roundel and fin flash of the Serbian Air Force, 1915 - Images by Tomislav Todorović, 3 January 2008

In 1915, a squadron was sent as the aid from the French Air Force. The French markings were modified by repainting white areas into blue, so the roundel was a blue disc with red border, and the fin flash consisted of two vertical fields, blue occupying two thirds and red occupying one third of the width.

1916-1918

Aircraft marking of the Serbian Air Force, 1916-1918 - Image by Tomislav Todorović, 3 January 2008

The Serbian Air Force virtually ceased to exist in 1915, as all the planes were either destroyed during the withdrawal of Serbian Army to Greece or had to be withdrawn from use as too damaged for repair. In 1916, at the Salonica Front, it was renewed with the help of the French Air Force, which gave six squadrons as the aid. These planes bore French markings, with different additional unofficial markings painted on the fuselages by the Serbian pilots. A very popular one was repeating the design of the Serbian officers' cap badge, popularly called the "Cockade" (in Serbian, kokarda): a red oval, with inner blue and outer white borders, and charged with crowned royal cypher P I (Peter I) in gold colour. Another one was repeating the national flag; this one became official (mandatory for all aircraft) by 1918. This set of markings had remained in use until the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes was founded, when new aircraft markings were designed.

Source: V. Vujović (Ed.). Srpska Avijatika: 1912-1918, Belgrade: Muzej jugoslovenskog vazduhoplovstva: Sky (1993).

Perfect, thank you very much Jim, much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Badin23 View Post
    Working on this Austrian-Hungarian Danube river flotilla gun boat. I'm going to work up a scenario with it being attacked by Serbian planes. Balsa Wood arrived today and I have most of the supplies. Wish me luck, and I will be posting pics!
    Looks lke fun... I have not tried a boat build but have often considered it...

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Looks like a very interesting project that could hopefully lead some of us into very bad ways.
    Rob.
    We do seem to enable each other's addictions around here...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Badin23 View Post
    Perfect, thank you very much Jim, much appreciated!
    No problem...would love to see some of your finished products once you get rolling on this...

Thumbs up Construction begins

Ken!

That is why i love this site! We encourage and support each other. Great job on the insignia Jim!

Rich