Ares Games
Page 33 of 38 FirstFirst ... 23242526272829303132333435363738 LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,650 of 1863

Thread: Wings of Savage Mill (Maryland)

Good get together last night but we are loosing a member due to his moving and not as close as he is now. Only met him twice but was good to meet a new person.

Two weeks until the next get together. Any ideas on a game ?

I have a variation of a photo-recon mission I would like to try.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Look forward to playing and see how things turn out.

Baltic Bob's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Bob
    Sorties Flown

Sounds great!
    Did you have any particular planes or war period in mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Baltic Bob View Post
    Sounds great!
    Did you have any particular planes or war period in mind?
    March 1918 with French and German airplanes.

Do we need to bring our own planes and if so which ones should I dig out ?

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Do we need to bring our own planes and if so which ones should I dig out ?
    Sad XIII and Nieuport 28s for the French. Fokker D.VII, SS D.III and/or Albatros D.Va for the Germans should do.

One week and counting. Gritty Goblin Games on March 5, 2020 at 6:00 p.m.

Getting my planes together and found a D VII that I won in one of the raffles from here. Guess what I will be flying.

Great games last night. I was able to use the D VII I received as a prize years ago.

I forgot to give a shout out to RJG. Last month we had out seaplanes and I have 2 Rumplers. Well this fine gentleman made 2 cards for me. An unexpected surprise and very much appreciated.

Based on the information on Gritty Goblin Games Facebook page, I believe their will no flying next Thursday at the store. That is a shame. Stay tuned if there is different information.

Honestly, with "non-essential" retail places closed by executive order of our esteemed governor, I would be surprised if they are even open.
    https://governor.maryland.gov/wp-con...COVID19-04.pdf
    has a list of "essential" businesses.

No playing next Thursday, May 7th, 2020. Perhaps in June.

Time to build up your air forces.

Just received an order from Shapeways so I will be a bit busy for May.

Just received an order from Shapeways so I will be a bit busy for May.
    I received an order, too. Six airplanes to work on.

Hope all are doing fine and staying safe since we last met. Working on some ideas for a game when we all can get back together. Look for some seaplane battles.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Bob
    Sorties Flown

“Friday, May 29th Gritty Goblin Games will open for normal retail business at 50% capacity. Play space at the store will be very limited due to the requirement for social distancing. Until further notice the play area will be limited to 10 patrons with at least 6’ spacing. Deliveries will continue for the time being on an as available basis and curbside pickup is encouraged. Thank you all for sticking with us.”
    The above Face Book message would seem to indicate that our planes will not gain clearance to fly Thursday Night!
    Does anyone have different interpretation or better information

Baltic Bob

Thanks for the update Bob. I was looking at their site earlier this morning and didn't see this. I just wonder how you can maintain the 6' rule when playing a game ? The 50% capacity I can understand. I have gone there to buy paint and have been the only person in the store. So I see no problem with that but the gaming part is confusing.

We'll use those huge map tables like the RAF did in WWII, and push our airplanes around with sticks.

“Friday, May 29th Gritty Goblin Games will open for normal retail business at 50% capacity. Play space at the store will be very limited due to the requirement for social distancing. Until further notice the play area will be limited to 10 patrons with at least 6’ spacing. Deliveries will continue for the time being on an as available basis and curbside pickup is encouraged. Thank you all for sticking with us.”
    The above Face Book message would seem to indicate that our planes will not gain clearance to fly Thursday Night!
    Does anyone have different interpretation or better information

Baltic Bob
    Baltic, et.al., I read the Facebook entry as well and further down the write-up it says they are closed on Sundays and open M-Sat from 10AM-7PM. I just tried calling at 11:30 on Sunday and got a voice message which seems to confirm no Sunday hours. So I think the Goblin is not an option right now if they close at 7pm on weeknights. I'll try to call tomorrow to confirm the 7pm closing time.

Quote Originally Posted by CrashCraig View Post
    Baltic, et.al., I read the Facebook entry as well and further down the write-up it says they are closed on Sundays and open M-Sat from 10AM-7PM. I just tried calling at 11:30 on Sunday and got a voice message which seems to confirm no Sunday hours. So I think the Goblin is not an option right now if they close at 7pm on weeknights. I'll try to call tomorrow to confirm the 7pm closing time.
    Baltic, BobP, Robert, et.al., Returned from my recon flight this afternoon (Wed.6/3) to the Goblin. Talked to the owner and he is following Maryland State guidance regarding social distancing, etc. He has four tables set up with two chairs on each side that are ~6 feet apart so he feels four gamers at one table will work. He is experimenting with selling tickets ($5.00) online so he knows how many folks are coming and can keep attendance to 10 or less people. He said that right now the place is pretty empty between 5-7pm (he closes at 7pm for the day, Mon-Sat). I told him when we fly WOG we can have as many as 8 pilots. He thought four at a table would be the most he would be comfortable with while adhering to the current Maryland regulations. One idea would be possibly have two games going on at the same time with 4 players each. He said he has another order of planes coming in next week, the first order since the COV-19 era started. His revenue is about a third of what it was before COV-19. Well that's all I have on the Goblin. Keep flying!

I was thinking of heading there tomorrow to do some real shopping and supporting the store even if just a few dollars. Maybe wait until next month before we get together. Things might be a little more relaxed by then. Thanks for your update Craig.

Craig, what kind of airplane did you use for your recon?

Hi friends,

as some of you know, I am in the process of getting rid of my entire collection, which at last count was 200+ planes, a Zeppelin, ballons, about 20-30 unpainted Shapeways, a Shapeway Gotha from John that is decaled, three mats and a bunch of other game related items including five carrying cases from KR, two of them aluminum with extra foam inserts. I am hoping to sell them, ideally as an entire collection, but if I sell them to someone to whom I have to ship, shipping will kill me. Let me know if any of you are interested, I will accept any reasonable offer knowing that my babies will go to a good place (perhaps some may want to get together and split the loot?). Many of you are familiar with my collection, but I can add pictures. If you are local, I will deliver or we can meet at the GG. Let me know if you are interested. You can do so through the Aerodrome or private email at tusekine@icloud.com. Thanks, and stay safe.

Robert, It was SPAD XIII disguised as a Toyota Highlander

Quote Originally Posted by tusekine View Post
    Hi friends,

as some of you know, I am in the process of getting rid of my entire collection
    Sorry to see this.

Someone will be a Lucky Git (assuming that someone has the $$$ to pull this off)

Thanks, Stumptonian. Cataloging everything for sale has been excruciatingly painful, particularly the repaints.

But we move on. I am not getting rid of any of my books (and some of my Austrian books are impossible to find) so the hobby stays with me.

Went to GG yesterday and it was quiet but then it was just early afternoon. We talked about Wings games and I said even for just a few of us would be hard to run a game. He did say that a small game would be ok. I think like 2 or 4 people since the distance part would be easier. He also said they will be staying open later as thing get better. Have to see how things work out.

Hi Group,

still have my Zeppeling (black and white made by Clipper) for sale. I would prefer to keep it local--anyone interested?

Stopped by GG today to talk about gaming. Not much going on so open gaming is possible. A game of 4 people would be ok but I think we would have to keep the distance part in mind. We would have to do movement in an orderly way. One person moves then the next and so on. So each person would be number 1-2-3 & 4. I think doing a game this way would satisfy the requirements. If we could set up 2 groups of 4 we could get together that way. We could also rotate between groups to mix things up. Right now the store is only open until 7 PM but as things change the hours will be extended. As for the day it seems any day is open for play right now. If we start a game at 5PM we should be able to get a game in in the 2 hours until closing. Throw out and thoughts and ideas you may have about this.

Stoped by GG today and Mark was talking about looking at a larger space for the store. Nothing firm on this just a heads up. The area he is looking at is about 5 miles from the present store off 216. If I hear anything more I will keep everyone informed.

Stoped by GG today and Mark was talking about looking at a larger space for the store. Nothing firm on this just a heads up. The area he is looking at is about 5 miles from the present store off 216. If I hear anything more I will keep everyone informed.
    Any further word on a possible move?

Stopped in today and Gritty Goblin has officially found a new location. Their official move date is April 1, and their new location is:

6420 Freetown Rd
    Suite 130
    Columbia, MD 21044

So April is out, since they'll be moving on that date, but it might be time to start talking about re-starting the monthly games? It sounds like they will have a larger gaming area, and I suspect that many of us may be fully vaccinated by the time May 6th comes around.

Interest?

I'm interested, but I don't know if I'll have the vaccine by then. Fairfax Cty is not very responsive.

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    I'm interested, but I don't know if I'll have the vaccine by then. Fairfax Cty is not very responsive.
    Same boat here, though supposedly Montgomery county is leading Maryland in vaccinations.

Todd, This location is in a small outdoor shopping center about a quarter mile from my house. Plenty of parking. There's a Giant grocery store as well as a Subway, Chinese restaurant and a Peruvian Chicken dine-in/takeout restaurant in the center for those coming directly from work and needing something to eat. From the current Gritty Goblin location, its north up Route 29, then west on Route 32 and then take the next exit north on Cedar Lane. The shopping center is about a half mile up Cedar Lane on the right-hand side.The Goblin would on the back side coming from this direction. I've had the vaccination shots so I should be go to fly, then crash & burn !

Todd - i could not commit to a once a month, but i might be able to drop in a time or two! I will keep my eyes open on the get togethers. Columbia is about a 90 minute drive for me, so, not unreasonable.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Bob
    Sorties Flown

Default Wings up!ll

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudotheist View Post
    Stopped in today and Gritty Goblin has officially found a new location. Their official move date is April 1, and their new location is:

6420 Freetown Rd
    Suite 130
    Columbia, MD 21044

So April is out, since they'll be moving on that date, but it might be time to start talking about re-starting the monthly games? It sounds like they will have a larger gaming area, and I suspect that many of us may be fully vaccinated by the time May 6th comes around.

Interest?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Bob
    Sorties Flown

Good news!

I will be fueling my escadrille for action.

Just let me know when I am to take off

Good news!

I will be fueling my escadrille for action.

Just let me know when I am to take off
    I've made extra BOOM cards just for you.

Report on Solo Recon Mission to new Gritty Goblin:
    Flew over to the new Gritty Goblin game center in my Nieuport 17 on Freetown Road & Cedar Lane. Talked to the owner and he was happy to see me. The merchandise area is about twice as big as the old place and the gaming area is about 4 times as big !! He has one table set up and is working on 2 more. There is room for even a few more. Restrictions are in line with Maryland state regs: 3 feet spacing and masks, even if you have your vaccine card. To reserve a table for Thursdays, he said to call the store early that week, and he'll have it ready for Thursday evening. His store is directly across from the Giant supermarket entrance. The store has lots of windows facing the Giant, filled with lots of gaming stuff !

So Todd, who's ready for May 6th? Crash Craig over and out!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Bob
    Sorties Flown

Default Lithuanian Escadrille

Quote Originally Posted by CrashCraig View Post
    Report on Solo Recon Mission to new Gritty Goblin:
    Flew over to the new Gritty Goblin game center in my Nieuport 17 on Freetown Road & Cedar Lane. Talked to the owner and he was happy to see me. The merchandise area is about twice as big as the old place and the gaming area is about 4 times as big !! He has one table set up and is working on 2 more. There is room for even a few more. Restrictions are in line with Maryland state regs: 3 feet spacing and masks, even if you have your vaccine card. To reserve a table for Thursdays, he said to call the store early that week, and he'll have it ready for Thursday evening. His store is directly across from the Giant supermarket entrance. The store has lots of windows facing the Giant, filled with lots of gaming stuff !

So Todd, who's ready for May 6th? Crash Craig over and out!

The Escadrille is all fueled up! May 6th sounds like a winner to me! I will be there!

No-go for me, still within my quarantine period following 2nd shot. And I still have the usual transportation issues, as well. Maybe in June, though.

Just stoped by Gritty Goblin and as Todd noted they moved. He mentioned a few months ago about finding a bigger place and from the reports looks like he did. Have to scope this place out since it is still closer than other places in the area.

Stopped by the new GG store today. WOW way bigger then the other place and a large game room. I think the game room is as big as the old store. I have attached a photo of the room so you can get an idea of the setup. Mark said that Sat & Sun are filling up but rest of the time not much happening. Still have to do some social distancing but not as restrictive as before.

Name:  20210407_120342.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  65.7 KB

As you can see a big room. The green table is one he built and he is making a few more.

Name:  20210407_120342.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  65.7 KB
    Forgot how the phone takes sideways photos. Here is another try.

Ah, the furniture is nailed to the wall, and their social distancing requirements: "Masks and gravity boots must be worn."

Not that bad. Here is another picture I took and you can see the group playing a card game. This was around 1230 yesterday so the room is getting some use.

Name:  20210407_120333.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  80.1 KB
    I have to remember when taking a picture with the phone hold it a different way.

Page 33 of 38 FirstFirst ... 23242526272829303132333435363738 LastLast