Ares Games
Page 31 of 38 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829303132333435363738 LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,550 of 1857

Thread: Wings of Savage Mill (Maryland)

I live in Gaithersburg, so I'd prefer moving over there. It was a stretch to go to Laurel. I would have to check a map to see if the exact location would work if it moved out to Annapolis.

There is of course, no reason why we can't have one in the Annapolis/Glenn Burnie area, and one in the Gaithersburg area.

We'll just have to coordinate and not try and have them meet on the same day.

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    There is of course, no reason why we can't have one in the Annapolis/Glenn Burnie area, and one in the Gaithersburg area.
    It's possible that could end up being the best solution, but it's also possible that it splits the player base in two, which could be fine if it brings in enough new regulars to offset that...

Quote Originally Posted by PilotGamerHistr
    I live in Gaithersburg, so I'd prefer moving over there. It was a stretch to go to Laurel.
    I think I may be in a reciprocal situation... Did you use the ICC? How was the commute?

I've gone ahead an put together a poll to try to give some insight as to how much interest each location has. If you know people who are interested in gaming in MD, but don't regularly check this thread/site, you may want to point them to it?
    https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...Store-now-what

Some updated info in the poll thread: https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...d=1#post498673

Edit:
    For those specifically interested in The Family Game Store, here's a page to follow: https://www.facebook.com/3geargames/
    Last edited by Pseudotheist; 03-23-2019 at 05:22.

This is the one week advance warning. Will we be playing on April 4th? If so, where? Inquiring minds want to know.

We generally play Bloody April dogfights in April, but that isn't a requirement.
    Last edited by RJG173; 03-28-2019 at 15:35. Reason: Misspelling
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Baltic Bob's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Bob
    Sorties Flown

Baltic Bob here!

It’s almost Time for Thursday’s game night.

Per Todd:
    Stuart is attempting to preserve a gaming space @ Savage Mill. It will likely be a $5 per play space (per person, I assume). He may be keeping a retailer account to place orders for regulars, but it doesn't sound like there will be a store front.

I see from the Internet that 3 Gear Games appears to be open starting today(April 1- no joke!) at Savage Mill for gaming. I assume that this venture is the successor to theFamily Game Store. Does anyone have any better info on gaming possibilities at this site.

So, I guess I'm a day late with the "if there are no other suggestions..." line, but I was resigned to try out Gritty Goblin Games this Thursday, as they have a table set aside for us. Assuming 6 people show up, the difference between $30 spent and $30 towards purchases is non-trivial. Also, looks like they may be doing a "Grand Opening" on May 4th. I do have a suspicion that Gritty Goblin will be a little cramped, but I feel like we won't really know how it is until we give it a try. Then we'll have a lot more info going into May.

If there's serious interest in crashing the grand opening party @ 3 Gear, please speak up SOON, so I can let Gritty Goblin know they shouldn't hold the table. Otherwise, I hope to see people at Gritty Goblin this Thursday. I should be able to cover the cover for anyone hesitant about the buy-in.

I'll give Gritty Goblin Games a try. I may have to leave earlier from VA to get there, but I see there is a McDonalds' nearby.

OK, so is the plan to try for Gritty Goblin, or 3 Gear Games? Work schedule has potentially changed for the week, so I might be able to do a Thursday for a change.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Bob
    Sorties Flown

Thanks.for making the reservation contact with Gritty Goblin. Based on the few inputs i’ve seen, I am assuming that we should all fly in about 6:00 pm for the night’s games. What planes can we fly in to assist with the games?

See you Thursday. Crash Craig, myself and John Emond will be there for the festivities!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Bob
    Sorties Flown

Just a note - my impression was that the initial get together at the Gritty Goblin was a great success. Store staff was great, the fee reasonable and gaming area good.

I think that we got in four missions with eight flyers, hard to tell for sure since my planes developed a bad tendency of exploding early in the mission. My evening was marked by losing two planes to explosions in an aggregate of three moves. It was suggested, tongue in cheek I am sure, that I change my moniker from Baltic Bob to Boom Boom Bob.. there may be something to that!

Quote Originally Posted by Baltic Bob
    my planes developed a bad tendency of exploding early in the mission. My evening was marked by losing two planes to explosions in an aggregate of three moves. It was suggested, tongue in cheek I am sure, that I change my moniker from Baltic Bob to Boom Boom Bob.. there may be something to that!
    You're welcome.

Next Thursday, May 2nd, at Gritty Goblin Games. I'll bring my usual assortment of airplanes. I have no special scenarios thought out. Who else will be attending?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Bob
    Sorties Flown

Hi,

Baltic Bob (AKA Boom Boom Bob) will be there as well as Crash Craig!

Look forward to a fun evening.

Stopped by Gritty Goblin today. Nice place and I had something in common with Mark. Both stationed on Okinawa but years apart. Will the threat change to WoG Fulton ?

Your one week advance announcement for Wings of Glory at Gritty Goblin Games on June 6th. I have a possible scenario with Italian and Austro-Hungarian airplanes and some USN subchasers. I have two Italian seaplanes and one Austro-Hungarian seaplane with a number of wheeled planes from each side. Could use more seaplanes. However, we need a fair number of pilots to make this work, unless pilots control multiple airplanes.

RJG is saw on your 4/1 post you mentioned McDonalds so I think you are talking about the one on All Saints Road. I always say I would like to make the game but never seem to do because it is Thursday.

vonny

Hello everyone!

I just got my first planes last week. I'm bummed that I missed the event yesterday... there wouldn't happen to be anything planned for next week, would there?

Also, figure this may be a good place to ask. Do you know any stores in maryland/virginia that stock wings of glory?

We typically play the first Thursday of the month. Next month, that is the Fourth of July and the store will be closed so we are planning to play on July 11th. Unless that is a problem for players.

Quote Originally Posted by vonny

Also, figure this may be a good place to ask. Do you know any stores in maryland/virginia that stock wings of glory?
    Walt's Cards, in the B-more area, usually stocks a range of what he can get. I often pick up random holes in my collection from Dan when I'm at a gaming or s/f convention he vends at. Link is: https://waltscards.blogspot.com/

vonny

Thank you Robert and Sam, I appreciate the answers. Picked up some nice planes at Walt's

Heads up: Gritty Goblin Games should be receiving very soon the series 1 reprints. As of Thursday they had Richtofen's Dr.1 in stock, but they said they placed an order for 3 of each. And they will happily order any of the older stuff that's still available.

I think the 11th will work for me... I might bring my oldest (he will be 10 the day before), he is majorly into all sorts of war games and I think he will get a kick out of it.

--
    Bill

Well I was going to HISTORICON on the 11th but changed my mind so I hope I will make the game on the 11th.

I hope you people put your thinking caps on to come up with some interesting scenarios. Flight time is this Thursday at 6:00 p.m.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Bob
    Sorties Flown

greetings,

Glad to hear that “wheels up” is still scheduled for this Thursday. I lost my thinking cap when I retired, but I can still “follow the leader”!

See you there

I don't have any scenarios in mind, but plan to pack my Lafayette Escadrille and AEF planes in commemoration of independence day.

Also of note, I intend to dine at Looney's right next door beforehand. Anyone's welcome to join.

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudotheist View Post
    I don't have any scenarios in mind, but plan to pack my Lafayette Escadrille and AEF planes in commemoration of independence day.
    Do you have Revolutionary War figures to go with the airplanes?

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    Do you have Revolutionary War figures to go with the airplanes?
    Maybe, why? You got a "revolutionary airport takeover" scenario in mind?

This is the one week advance warning that we will be meeting at Gritty Goblin Games on 1 August, 2019 for some World War 1 simulated aerial combat. Perhaps some early war dogfights?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Bob
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    This is the one week advance warning that we will be meeting at Gritty Goblin Games on 1 August, 2019 for some World War 1 simulated aerial combat. Perhaps some early war dogfights?
    Sounds good to me. I have a Nieuport 11 eager to join the fray!

I too have a Nieuport 11 with rockets and Italian colors. See you there!

One week from today, small plastic airplanes will be making inaudible engine noises as they shoot invisible bullets and drop equally invisible bombs at Gritty Goblin Games in Fulton, MD.

CrashCraig will be there with his invisible 3-inch AA gun-mounted lorries.

Hoping I can make this one-probably not, given my history. But there's an outside chance.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Bob
    Sorties Flown

I will be there - if for no other reason to try to see those invisible bullets and bombs!

It is two days late for the one week warning, but gamers will gather on Oct 3, 2019 at 6:00 p.m. at Gritty Goblin Games in Fulton, MD for some Wings of Glory action. Will pumpkins be involved? Maybe ghostly pilots.

Well, the great pumpkin is said to fly out of the most sincere pumpkin patch he can find...kind of like a Zeppelin raider in the night.

John wanted me to post this to the thread, in case anyone was interested:

OCTOBER 15

"U-1105 ‘BLACK PANTHER’ HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGY OF A U-BOAT"

This is a fascinating story of U-1105, “Black Panther”, a German submarine that
    featured late war, advance technology.* Following its surrender at the close of* WWII,
    the submarine was sent and sunk in the Chesapeake Bay where it was re-discovered in the
    mid 1980’s.* *The story of *U-Boat “Black Panther” and its re-discovery is the basis of
    this lecture and book signing by Aaron Stephan Hamilton.*

Doors open at 6:30, lecture 7:00-8:00.*

Free admission and parking, but seating is limited.* The EventBrite web site to sign up
    is as follows, but if there is any difficulty in registering, the Maryland Historical
    Trust phone number is: 410-697-9564.* An ID is required at entrance as this is a
    government building.
    EventBrite registration:
    https://www.eventbrite.com/e/u-1105-...ts-68283262075

Next Thursday, Oct 31, is Halloween which makes it a perfect reason to get out of the house and fly some airplanes at Gritty Goblin Games. Then you can head to Delaware for Punkin' Chunking' [if that is still an event].

Users Country Flag

Name
    Bob
    Sorties Flown

Hi,

I am a bit confused? Did we agree last month to advance our next meeting to Halloween rather than November. 7 ? Or is the Halloween date just an idea for consideration?

Quote Originally Posted by Baltic Bob View Post
    Hi,

I am a bit confused? Did we agree last month to advance our next meeting to Halloween rather than November. 7 ? Or is the Halloween date just an idea for consideration?
    My bad. It should be the first Thursday in November, which would be November 7th. I just so excited to play!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Bob
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for the clarification. For a while I thought that I was suffering from battle fatigue!

To Robert & the rest of the Gritty Goblin Pilots: For our next contest on Nov. 7th, seeing how enthusiastic Robert is about Halloween, I am putting together a "Raid on the Great Pumpkin" scenario. I have constructed a very, very crude Great Pumpkin observation balloon which will be defended by two AA lorries plus Snoopy in his Sopwith Camel and his wingman, Linus Rickenbacker in his Spad. I will run all these units and invite the rest of the pilots present to pick their favorite German fighter, preferably in red, to try to shoot the Great Pumpkin down. If Todd is present we can use the same rules as the last time we had a balloon scenario. As a special incentive, the German pilot who shoots the Great Pumpkin down, will receive the thanks of the Kaiser and a special award.

Quote Originally Posted by CrashCraig View Post
    To Robert & the rest of the Gritty Goblin Pilots: For our next contest on Nov. 7th, seeing how enthusiastic Robert is about Halloween, I am putting together a "Raid on the Great Pumpkin" scenario. I have constructed a very, very crude Great Pumpkin observation balloon which will be defended by two AA lorries plus Snoopy in his Sopwith Camel and his wingman, Linus Rickenbacker in his Spad. I will run all these units and invite the rest of the pilots present to pick their favorite German fighter, preferably in red, to try to shoot the Great Pumpkin down. If Todd is present we can use the same rules as the last time we had a balloon scenario. As a special incentive, the German pilot who shoots the Great Pumpkin down, will receive the thanks of the Kaiser and a special award.
    This sounds like fun.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Bob
    Sorties Flown

I am looking forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by CrashCraig View Post
    I thought the plan was for Tripods & Triplanes for Halloween...

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudotheist View Post
    I thought the plan was for Tripods & Triplanes for Halloween...
    We can sit on three-legged stools if you like.
    I could also bring the tripod for my camera.

Todd, et.al., I believe there will plenty of time for two scenarios next Thursday. I am sure it won't take too much time to shoot down a floating pumpkin.

One day late, but next Thursday is Dec 5, 2019 the first Thursday of the month and time to engage in playful battle at Gritty Goblin Games.

Page 31 of 38 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829303132333435363738 LastLast