Ares Games
Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Wings of Savage Mill (Maryland)

I was wondering if anyone was interested to come by my house tomorrow afternoon, Sunday March 2, for a quick pick up game or two or three? I live in Silver Spring near Glenmont Metro. PM me if you are interested.

1 week reminder!

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    Since the new planes will be here, next month should we play Biffs versus D.VIIs?
    Sure, I expect a lot of Fokkers to be shot down. I suppose it might not be too much of a slaughter if the Brisfits are B firing only...

It sure is. Maybe you should bring those fancy planes out for a test drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudotheist View Post
    I suppose it might not be too much of a slaughter if the Brisfits are B firing only...
    That's the idea!

I would like to join in on Monday. It's a long drive from Herndon to Savage Mill so can you tell me when you normally start?

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    I would like to join in on Monday. It's a long drive from Herndon to Savage Mill so can you tell me when you normally start?
    We start at 6pm. Our first game is almost always a dogfight, which works well knowing people have to contend with iffy traffic and sometimes show up a little late.

There are plenty of places nearby for food, including a couple places right in Savage Mill.

Hope to see you Monday.

There are plenty of places nearby for food, including a couple places right in Savage Mill.
    Looks like I'll be at The Factory Grill (the restaurant right by the store) shortly after 5 to catch dinner.

Something has come up at work & I can't make it tonight. Have fun!

Good times, good times.

Next game 14 "Bloody" April?

That was fun last night good turnout. Tough night for the Germans.

Quote Originally Posted by bishop View Post
    That was fun last night good turnout. Tough night for the Germans.
    Yes it was. What did we have, 9? Pretty solid group for a couple good games.
    Next game 14 "Bloody" April?
    Yep! next game Monday April 14 @ 6:00
    Bloody April 1917 theme.

Well, we had nine, but technically it was eight players at any one time.
    I'm hoping we can get at least ten for Bloody April.

Do we want to do another BE2 massacre like we did last year?
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...ily+game+store

Do we want to do another BE2 massacre like we did last year?
    Ouch. Seems as though the only love the BE2 gets is tough love.

Oh, April 14th is two days before my birthday.

Hi guys, can you let me know if (a) you have a FE2b or FE2d mini and (b) whether you plan to attend on April 14? I have a scenario in mind...

Sorry no FE2's

I have one. Funny little ship. Rarely get to use it.

That's great, John. Can you bring it? I was reading that the Fees used a circle formation to fend off Alb. D. IIIs, each plane covering the plane in front of it. They would fly in a circle until the Germans would break off the attack (or there were too few Fees left). Apparently, some of them got pretty good and used the wind to push them to the British lines while they were circling.

I thought to use five Fees flying in a circle (one player could handle all the Fees) while the rest of the group would fly D.IIIs to try to break the ring.

I have an F.40 that could substitute for a Fee, and also three painted MF Shorthorns which we could use.

Quote Originally Posted by tusekine View Post
    Apparently, some of them got pretty good and used the wind to push them to the British lines while they were circling.
    Do you remember where that happened? I thought the prevailing winds were from west to east...?

One week reminder!

That sounds interesting. I have no FE2bs, but I do have a flight of "award winning" DH.2s that I hope will get to see some action, even if just for the dogfight.

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    Do you remember where that happened? I thought the prevailing winds were from west to east...?
    Chris:

This is what I found in James F. Miller's book "FE2b/d vs. Albatros Scout": "Unique to FE 2 crews was their use of a defensive circle. Employed in the face of overwhelming numbers, the aeroplanes would begin circling each other so that the following machines could effectively cover the tails of the preceding machines. This eliminated the FE 2's large, rearward blind spot and enabled multiple guns to be trained on an incoming fighter, with security that one's own aeroplane was being similarly defended. The FE 2s adjusted for wind to circle toward their lines, and operated in this manner until the enemy disengaged." (emphasis mine)

So I may have overstated that they used the wind to push them towards the British lines, as the author only says they "adjusted for wind". Though I would argue that it is hard to fly a circle in a wind that blows you away from the target and reach your target. I guess they must have flown a cork screw type motion rather than a circle when faced with winds that blew them away from the British lines.

Thanks Anthony, that's good stuff!

Hey Guys - Looking forward to playing tomorrow night. Do you mind if I bring along my 10, soon to be 11, year old? He hasn't played in a while, might try to play him a game tomorrow when he's off from school. He'd like to give game night a try.

Thanks,

Bob

I have two scenarios to propose for tomorrow, both with a Bloody April theme:

Scenario I: A bit of a dog fight

A German patrol consisting of Albatross D.IIIs spots a BE2c and moves to attack it. A squadron of DH2s moves to intercept.

This scenario is played with altitude.

The BE2c is a non-player plane and moves randomly as described below. It begins the game 2 rulers from one of the short ends of the mat (the German side of the mat), and needs to get off the mat on the opposite side (the British side). The Germans start half a ruler from the German edge. The DH 2s start in the middle of the mat.

The teams are evenly divided between German and British; if the numbers are uneven, the Germans get the extra plane. Anyone regenerating comes back as a British DH2.

Victory conditions:

German: partial, destroy all DH2s on the board at the beginning of the game (respawned planes do not count). Full victory, destroy all original DH2s and the BE2C.

UK: Partial: have at least one of the original DH2s make it off the British edge. Full victory, have at least one of the original DH2s and the BE2C exit off the British edge.

Note: British DH2s are not permitted to move off the edge unless they have fired six shots (true to the British tactic of "Attack everything").

Movement of BE2C: every turn, three cards at random are chosen from 2 straights, 2 right slde slips, 2 left side slips, one dive.
    Last edited by tusekine; 04-13-2014 at 16:44.

Here is scenario II: Circling the wagons

In this scenario, everyone (except one person, which can be me) flies an Albatross D.III. The UK side consists of five (or, if there are less then five German players to start, four) FE2bs. The Fees will use a G deck (not a J deck as currently listed in the Unofficial Aircraft Stats).

As described in an earlier post last week, the Fees developed a tactic of flying in a circle when attacked by a number of Germans, each covering each others blind spot. So we will place the five Fees in the middle of the board, and they will continuously fly in a large circle while the Germans attack.

I propose flying this scenario without altitude to make it easier.

I plan to have dinner before hand at the Factory Grill tomorrow if anyone cares to join me.

Here is scenario II: Circling the wagons

In this scenario, everyone (except one person, which can be me) flies an Albatross D.III. The UK side consists of five (or, if there are less then five German players to start, four) FE2bs. The Fees will use a G deck (not a J deck as currently listed in the Unofficial Aircraft Stats).
    Do you have enough FE2bs for this one?

Scenario I: A bit of a dog fight

Movement of BE2C: every turn, three cards at random are chosen from 2 straights, 2 right slde slips, 2 left side slips, one dive.
    Any reason you don't use the random bomber movement rules from Flight of Giants instead, since he's just trying to make it off the map?

Quote Originally Posted by bishop View Post
    Hey Guys - Looking forward to playing tomorrow night. Do you mind if I bring along my 10, soon to be 11, year old? He hasn't played in a while, might try to play him a game tomorrow when he's off from school. He'd like to give game night a try.
    You're the best judge; if you think he's up to it, we'd be happy to have him.

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudotheist View Post

Do you have enough FE2bs for this one?

John has one FE2b, I have one look-alike (a Farman) and four MF Shorthorns, which I will use as stand-ins.

Any reason you don't use the random bomber movement rules from Flight of Giants instead, since he's just trying to make it off the map?

None whatsoever. I didn't think about FoG when I dreamed up the scenario in the bathtub. I didn't bring my FoG rules, but if you are bringing yours, we can use the FoG rules instead.

I'm going to bring along my son - he's looking forward to it. We jsut played 3 one-on-one battles using altitude and he won all three! I blew up on the first shot int he first two, and blew up after a long battle in the third one. He was flying a DVa and I was flying a Spad. He's almost an ace-in-day!

I didn't think about FoG when I dreamed up the scenario in the bathtub
    Oh, thanks for that visual Anthony.

I'll bring my mostly finished Be2c, but it's a No. 50 Home Defence Squadron night camo paint job, so not really appropriate for your scenario.

Still, happy to use it. Otherwise, I have a CDL Be2c. Plus, we can have a Quirk vs. Albatross fight, which will be a real nice slaughter...

Sorry I wasn't there. My dad is in the hospital, and game night completely slipped my mind.

Sorry to hear about that! Hope he will get better soon. Everyone missed you, and you got lots of compliments on your Shapeways BE2C (PRS brought his newly painted plane in, which survived the Albatross onslaught).

I took pictures and will put up an AAR, but need to take care of my taxes first!

Default Bloody April

Good turnout last night! We had pseudotheist, PRS, Thomas, BobP and his son, RG173, Captn. Willard and myself. We started with a quick late war dogfight to warm up (Snipes against D.VIIs), then flew scenario 1 and 2 that I had proposed. Turns out it is not so easy to fly five planes in a circle using the maneuver cards!

AAR to come later this week. Thanks for all who came out!

It was good, - a fun time. My son really enjoyed it and would like to come back for more. He was waiting for me when I got home from work with a 3v3 battle setup, using all of our planes. 2 DR1, 1 DVa vs Camel, Tripe and a Spad. I had the Allies and he shot down all three of my planes with no losses. One of mine blew up, another had the pilot killed. We're probably going to pick up a couple of more planes, he really wants a two-seater!

Anyway, thanks it was fun. Also I'm BobM, not BobP.

Good turnout last night! We had pseudotheist, PRS, Thomas, BobP and his son, RG173, Captn. Willard and myself. We started with a quick late war dogfight to warm up (Snipes against D.VIIs), then flew scenario 1 and 2 that I had proposed. Turns out it is not so easy to fly five planes in a circle using the maneuver cards!

AAR to come later this week. Thanks for all who came out!

Hope he gets well soon, missed having you there...especially since you seem to attract explosion cards!

Sorry I wasn't there. My dad is in the hospital, and game night completely slipped my mind.

Here is the Be2c.
    Name:  Be2C.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  109.6 KB
    And here it is on the table escaping from the Albatrosses. At this point, my D. III had been shot down, so I took control of the Be2c from it's random movement system since we really didn't need another DH2 on the board.
    Name:  Be2c_escaping.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  221.2 KB

When's our next mission? The 12th or the 5th?

It should be the 12th, although I haven't seen the AAR from the last meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    It should be the 12th, although I haven't seen the AAR from the last meeting.
    Yes, except for a rare instance or two, it has always been second Monday of the month.
    I hope to see you all on the 12th.

Oh, hey, wasn't yesterday One Week Notice?

Any suggestions or requests?

I probably won't make it this month, so you guys will be free of the yoke of scenarios proposed by me!

John, I know I am behind on posting the AAR but will try to get it out before Monday!

Sorry to hear that, Anthony.
    I should be able to make it.
    And Mike should be there, too. (The other Mike, not 'Capt Willard' Mike.)
    I also sent out a Facebook invite, so that may snag a few more.

As for scenarios... my brain is tapped out at the moment, so I am game for whatever. Using some of the new planes might be fun.

I won't be able to make it this evening.

Looks like I should be able to make it. Haven't seen a balloon for awhile......

A balloon with some anti-aircraft artillery and machinguns could be fun.

I have mine with me

I'm waiting to hear from the missus, since she was planning on getting the kids and taking them to some sort of scout function. I hope I can make it in time.

Not sure what planes to bring. Either I'll make a last minute mix and match, or just leave 'em home and use whatever the group decides on.

As always, great fun! It was good seeing you guys again, and thanks for all of the explosions. I think I may have caught up, having missed out on them the last time.

Another fine evening, with 8 in attendance, and 3 missions played. Looking forward to next month...
    Monday, June 9th @ 6:00

Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast