Ares Games

Thread: Two future projects on my wish list...

Default Two future projects on my wish list...

These are two Camel repaints/conversions I would like to attempt in 1/144 scale sometime in the near future after I get through my current "To Do" list of Aerodrome and WoW related projects:

http://www.wwi-models.org/Images/Jan...F13/index.html

http://www.wwi-models.org/Images/Ada...mel.1000-1.jpg

Ambitious... but would keep me busy for a month or two... I have always loved the Ruston Camel!

(I know... I am slower than a story about a herd of giant Galapagos turtles on a glacier made of molasses as read by Ben Stein. But at least I get it done eventually!)
    Last edited by The Cowman; 02-24-2011 at 23:58. Reason: corrected link to Ruston Lincoln Pic
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

You're right, the Ruston is sexy, might be tempted to the dark side myself my Emporer....

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    These are two Camel repaints/conversions I would like to attempt in 1/144 scale sometime in the near future after I get through my current "To Do" list of Aerodrome and WoW related projects:

http://www.wwi-models.org/Images/Jan...F13/index.html

http://www.wwi-models.org/app/sbj/sr...ist&subjId=313

Ambitious... but would keep me busy for a month or two... I have always loved the Ruston Camel!

(I know... I am slower than a story about a herd of giant Galapagos turtles on a glacier made of molasses as read by Ben Stein. But at least I get it done eventually!)
    You must be physic or something Ken. I was just looking at that this morning and wondering weather to do it or a Sopwith Baby for my next conversion. I guess it willl be the Baby then.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    You must be physic or something Ken. I was just looking at that this morning and wondering weather to do it or a Sopwith Baby for my next conversion. I guess it willl be the Baby then.
    Rob.
    Which one were you thinking about Rob?
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

The Sopwith Baby Ken.
    Rob.

Looking at the Comic and considering some of the conversions I have in mind has me thinking that a set of overwing Lewis guns would be a very handy accessory pack for someone to make in 1/144.

I've had the same thoughts myself Dave. now if only our friends at Peter Pig ever read this forum!
    Rob.

You know, I might just drop Martin a line.....

[voice=Ben Stein]Don't... knock... Ben... Stein. ... At... least... he's... not... William... Shatner... doing... "Rocket... Man." LOL
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Default Or:

Ken Head - "The Cowman"

They would be great to do; how would you move the cockpit back? And yes, 1/144th accessories pack would be nice.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Not sure how on that first one... had not really thought about it yet... might have to go with a white metal model and do some serious modding.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

I thought with the Baby I'd need to push the cockpit up a bit. Could be a big amputation job coming on.
    Rob.

Yes, quadron Commander L S Breadner's Camel is pretty spiffy. I actually thought about doing a decal set for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    Yes, quadron Commander L S Breadner's Camel is pretty spiffy. I actually thought about doing a decal set for it.
    I assume this is the bird of which you speak? VERY spiffy! Being without an ALPS printer, I could not pull off those decals...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bread3.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	9593

BTW: I fixed the link in my first post to actually point to the pic of the Rustin Lincoln Camel.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Oh yes you could Ken. The tricky one is the white ring but if you use white decal paper the cards are easy. Just put a black line where you want to cut and use it to guide your scalpel straight around the white border. You can do the fans pretty much the same. To get the white roundel, i would try to match up the Kaki wing colour and print a square of that with the roundel on it. Just ensure that you have a white spot in the right place on the wing for it to fit over. The edges don't need to be that great as the Kaki will cover it up. Tou could of course try cutting your roundels out with a set of circle cutters, but I'm nor sure how the film wold react to that.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Oh yes you could Ken. The tricky one is the white ring but if you use white decal paper the cards are easy. Just put a black line where you want to cut and use it to guide your scalpel straight around the white border. You can do the fans pretty much the same. To get the white roundel, i would try to match up the Kaki wing colour and print a square of that with the roundel on it. Just ensure that you have a white spot in the right place on the wing for it to fit over. The edges don't need to be that great as the Kaki will cover it up. Tou could of course try cutting your roundels out with a set of circle cutters, but I'm nor sure how the film wold react to that.
    Rob.
    Yeah I will concede you that one... but those white circles... those would haunt me...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    Yeah I will concede you that one... but those white circles... those would haunt me...
    Don't know much about decal printing...but, could you print the white circles onto "clear" decal paper?

Quote Originally Posted by MayorJim View Post
    Don't know much about decal printing...but, could you print the white circles onto "clear" decal paper?
    The problem is that an ordinary printer can't do white. You need an Alps printer for that. so by using white decal paper you get over the problem to some extent but not where you need a white outline.
    Rob.

Ken, you could always use circle punches to cut out some masks and just airbrush those white circles on... or airbrush around the white primer so you don't have to try and cover the dark green with white.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    Ken, you could always use circle punches to cut out some masks and just airbrush those white circles on... or airbrush around the white primer so you don't have to try and cover the dark green with white.
    Yep... good call... in fact I need to go out a get some more paint mask film!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Similar Missions

1. Cowman's Terrain Projects
    By The Cowman in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-26-2010, 09:51
  2. Suggestions for 1st repaint projects?
    By Walt Powell in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-14-2010, 16:08
  3. Cowman's Zeppelin Projects...
    By The Cowman in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-11-2010, 19:15
  4. Future Miniatures
    By Eliminator in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-27-2010, 11:00
  5. Future WW2 Minatures