Ares Games

Thread: Air Race Idea

Default Air Race Idea

After reading the thread about air races in the Officer's Club, I've been trying to think up ideas and I finally got one. Okay, it's like a canyon race and going above the canyon is forbidden. I think there should be two levels in the canyon, in order to reduce the chance of collisions that are also in play. Maybe the cieling could be 2, meaning no plane can enter level 2 or above. Also, Immelmans are forbidden, or at least they are in the initial raceway. Now for the hard part, the raceway itself. It could be a ovalular raceway, a raceway with loops at each end, mystic portals, etc. It could also have wider parts with obstacles or, say a rock bridge at a certain altitude. If a plane touches the wall, it either explodes or gets a wing chopped off, spirals into another plane that rams into a rock bridge which crumbles an crashes into more planes, resulting in a complete abandoning of the race. This is the part where I need you guys' opinion. Or anywhere in the idea, really. It's just a rough sketch.

Hunter

I used to watch the air races at the Cleveland Air Show. They were held at Burke Lakefront Airport. Out in the lake were "pylons" where the pilots had to race to, turn and then race back...essentialy an oval. If you went inside of a pylon, you were nicked points or disqualified. All aircraft flew at essentially the same altitude...about 30 to 50 feet above the water. After a few pilots crashed their planes..and in relatively close proximity to the crowds...the air races were discontinued...I haven't been up there in some time now, so don't know if they are back on. There's an old AH game called LeMans which had rules for racing cars...maybe you could find a copy (or at least the rules) and adapt something from them to your idea?

Now that's what I call podracing!

Similar Missions

1. Dynamic Campaign Idea
    By sparty in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-14-2011, 15:10
  2. An Idea after watching air races
    By Snowy in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-23-2011, 16:45
  3. Is This A Bad Idea?
    By csadn in forum WGF: House Rules