Thread: iPhone/iPad hobbying

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Philippe
    Sorties Flown

Lightbulb iPhone/iPad hobbying

Hey guys and gals,

I've just got into making apps for iOS but i'm not developer. I just enjoy learning that stuff.

Anyways, I had a couple of ideas in my head about a fun app to get to learn to program but I wanted to know what you guys would like to see as a free app (it's really just for fun) to make our life easer when playing Wings of War.

I wanted to make maybe a quick reference guide, or damage counter anything that is practice for me, useful for Wings of War players and that does not interfere with copyright or anything to that matter.

So if you want to shoot ideas i'm all ears. This is really just for fun and if I get to put in the app store your name will be there!

Thanks!

- A damage counter that keeps track of special damage would be good.
    - Maybe some kind of reminder function to help you remember if your last maneuver was steep or part of an Immelman / split S?
    - An altitude tracker would also be helpful.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Philippe
    Sorties Flown

Cool! I will work on those ideas starting on monday!

I was thinking some sort of flip app where you've got counter info on one side and altitude on flip side.

I would like to get it out fast so I can get a feeling of having accomplished that and then it will motivate me to do even more! hehe

All ideas will be credited in the app so its cool for that to!

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Philippe
    Sorties Flown

Here is my first app. It's for another boardgame. It's called D-Day Dice.

That game was a free print-n-play game you could get off boardgame geek but since then, has been picked up by a publisher. Anyways, if you like to play D-Day Dice there is an app for that! hehe

The Day TD

Ok enough self indulging...time to get some Wings of War app done and back on subject track!

D-Day Dice on BGG here

*edit added BGG D-Day Dice link

Well...this might be a bit mundane...but maybe an app that keeps track of turns (for those who limit them in their games/scenarios)...also, an app that helps you choose aircraft by year of availability...jsu basically a list...could add other stuff on the list as well; such as max altitude, climb rate, etc??

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Philippe
    Sorties Flown

Ok I started working on this today. I like the ideas and I will try to do them all!

I need to get some good quality images of the special damage and the last maneuver tokens.

I'll give myself 2 weeks max to get this app completed. I like to give myself deadlines this way the project does not fall dead.

I'll post some images of what i've got pretty soon.

I'll do it open source so once I finish I will make the code available if people want to add...free and open.

My son uses the free GunClub2 App on his iPod touch to supply machinegun noises.

Me I'm an old school DAKKADAKKADAKKA shouter.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Philippe
    Sorties Flown

Ideally I was looking at the tokens in the box and thought about scanning them at high rez for good iPhone retina display quality (HD)...

Do you think I can do this for my free app?

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Philippe
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Slexlaw View Post
    - A damage counter that keeps track of special damage would be good.
    - Maybe some kind of reminder function to help you remember if your last maneuver was steep or part of an Immelman / split S?
    - An altitude tracker would also be helpful.
    Should I have some sort of way to keep track of multiple plane's altitude or just one, your own in a way? Right now I was doing it for just a single plane, but did you have it for multiple planes in mind?

I was thinking of just for your own plane. If you had all the data available on iPhone you can walk about the table without having to refer back to your reference card all the time. Handy for those big games.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Laurence
    Sorties Flown

Possibly a random number generator to replace damage decks? If that's allowed. But it would be more useful than chits and cards everywhere. Similar tech to iPod shuffling, but with numbers and stuff. Maybe?

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Philippe
    Sorties Flown

A teaser?

The info are only place holders. I will have them show the correct data when completed. Right now, I want to be able to have someone select a plane and have it's info on your main page such as Climb rates and ceiling...

You also get to note your last maneuver and any special damage you might have.

Ill code all this and then I'll add in other features suggested here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	teaserOne.png 
Views:	262 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	9507
    Last edited by ste_marthe; 02-23-2011 at 09:38. Reason: Added additional info

Users Country Flag

Name
    Laurence
    Sorties Flown

This for the steampunk variant? 99 crew, 99 engines, introduced 1900?

We had another member that was going to do a damage deck type of app. That was well over a year ago though and nothing every came of it.

I'm liking your layout so far!

We had another member that was going to do a damage deck type of app. That was well over a year ago though and nothing every came of it.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Philippe
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post

I'm trying to get this out in 2 weeks...Then you get the 2 weeks of Apple approval so might be there at best guess in a month.

Right now the thing i'm missing is the entered service year. Right now i'm using wikipedia but only have the Nieuport 17 as 1916.

Also the mockup is already running on my iPhone. So i'm on the right track!

Found this on that other thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Velox View Post
    I thought about the damage chits. It would be an advantage as you wouldn't have to worry about running out of damage chits for big battles.

I also thought tracking altitudes and fuel consumption could be useful.
    I will add the fuel consumption...

The damage generator will be added but maybe in a follow up update.
    Last edited by ste_marthe; 02-25-2011 at 02:26. Reason: Added fuel consumption part

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Philippe
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    Philippe, this file might help.
    Wow really cool thanks!

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Philippe
    Sorties Flown

Cool

Ok here is another teaser. I've got a plane setup and hooked in so now all I've got to do is input all the data for the other planes.

It's going along well. Here is an example of one plane setup and working.

I also went and coded in that when you get the climb rate value of the chosen plane it will automatically raise you 1 altitude. But I had one question. Let's say climb rate is 3, an you go up one climb counter so you get 3. Do you automatically go up one altitude?

In my case here, I hit 0, 1, 2 and then when hit again, I get 1 altitude raised. Is this correct?

Thanks guys! Enjoy!

Name:	teaser2.png 
Views:	249 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	9624

Just noticed I dont have plane hit points. I'll add those...
    Last edited by ste_marthe; 02-25-2011 at 14:57. Reason: Hit points part added.

You have it correct. Once you gain that third counter, you go up a level and all your current counters go away (or back to 0).

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Philippe
    Sorties Flown

Ok here is an update. i've got 2 series of planes, actually the Nieuport 11's and 17's with all pilots and data. I've got an issue when managing my views and data thru the views and I was looking for help in the iOS dev forums. Anyways, I am on track and liking the looks of the app so far. I tweaked it more since my last images.

I have some more ideas to push the app further down the road once I complete this first part!

Also writing about it here helps me get motivating to complete this app so i'll just post some ramdom app stuff when I do have some!

Talk to you later!

Philippe - your apps is looking good, can't wait to see the finished article. Are you likely to try to do the same for Android or any of the other OS's out there. I only ask as I am an android user myself.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Philippe
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz68 View Post
    Philippe - your apps is looking good, can't wait to see the finished article. Are you likely to try to do the same for Android or any of the other OS's out there. I only ask as I am an android user myself.
    I would love to do Android OS. Might get into that but since this is a learning process even the iOS is new to me so might be a while before I hit Android.

Right now, I pretty much had all done but decided to rework the views and code it properly and so now the issue I have is managing the data thru all my views. And as simple as it sounds, I can't get it to work as it should.

So thats where I am at the moment. I hack at it every day but that variable management is giving me pain in the behind...anyways...

Great job...now I have a reason to buy an Ipad or Iphone (or borrow my wifes )

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Philippe
    Sorties Flown

I am having one of those moment of desperation...

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Philippe
    Sorties Flown

Ok update. I got stuck trying to code the views, the view management and passing data around but that boring part aside, I am still hard at work to release this.

I have other ideas already I want to add to it so can't wait to ship it out.

I have all the 1916 planes completed. I wanted to have the info button show some simple and cool data on pilots and/or plane but

1 - What should I put there or what would you like to have in the info button for each pilot?

2 - And where can I find cool info about those pilots and planes?

At the moment, I use wikipedia and it seems fine. There is always the issue of accuracy but I can correct it if someone points out that the info is not correct. I don't want to make a plane/WWI wiki but just put some cool, small tidbits there that are fun to look at or read. Any ideas maybe?

So this is it!

Name:	MainWindowWithData.png 
Views:	218 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	10639Click image for larger version. 

Name:	planeModelSelection.png 
Views:	219 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	10638Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pilotSelectionPage.png 
Views:	214 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	10640

Looking really good Philippe. Try these links for the info you need, much more accurate then wiki I should think.

Aces

Planes

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Philippe
    Sorties Flown

Who wants to see some art?

Name:	lastUpdateOne.png 
Views:	210 
Size:	125.3 KB 
ID:	10671

This is looking outstanding! Keep up the great work on it.

I wonder if you could partner with Col. Hajj and do an electronic version of the log book.

Users Country Flag

Name
    James
    Sorties Flown

Looking forward to seeing this when it is done.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Philippe
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by rapier1642 View Post
    Looking forward to seeing this when it is done.
    Can't wait to see it done too!!

Hehe!

This has been quite a bigger project than I thought! The thing is, I am a mechanical engineer by trade so I can pretty well plan and estimate how long things can take in that field. Coding on the other hand is a hobby of mine and I'm still learning. I had thought I could make this in 2 weeks but just going thru the amount of pilot/plane content is pretty long and getting all that in the app.

Anyways I'm still moving forward. Right now, I'm working on the 1917 planes. I realize that was a big year were most of the planes were first flown so once I get that done, 1918 will be a breeze.

As for the special maneuvers and last maneuver reminder, they are completed. Might play around after to get the art perfect but that will be on a second pass.

So this is my latest update! I'll keep you guys posted as I progress!

Currently working on:

Plane introduced year - 1917
    Rumpler C.IV. C

Done:

Last maneuver - Coding and graphics
    Special damage - Coding and graphics
    Main page (altitude, specs, etc)
    Plane introduced year - 1916

To add:

Country flag as additional graphics in the plane selection pages.
    Plane damage tracker
    Plane introduced year - 1918
    WWII content
    Last edited by ste_marthe; 03-21-2011 at 17:21.

Griffonstone

Looking very good indeed. Keep up the good work!

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Philippe
    Sorties Flown

So, some of you guys have iPhone, iPad and/or iTouch. Do you guys use or play with Game Centre feature?

In any case, just for kicks I have managed to code game centre achievements! So we will be able to see each other when we play with the app, manage achievements that I will include and so forth...I thought it would be cool and fun.

I would post pictures of what that all looks like in the app but did not do screenshots yet...I need to get the graphics done before a show it so you will have to wait a bit!

I really hope the app to be epic and usable!

Wow! Looking great!
    This is going to be a very useful app.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Philippe
    Sorties Flown

Hey guys! I need your guidance!

I've got some planes, I don't have a pilot and unit. So I thought about just putting a generic plane to select (example Rumpler C.IV.) since they all have the same specs but you will not have any pilot data shown. If you have some info on the pilots and unit don't hesitate to post so I can have them in the app.

As for the Rumpler, for the 3 planes, I have no pilots and only one unit that is Marine Feld Flieger Abteilung...
    Last edited by ste_marthe; 03-24-2011 at 07:20. Reason: Corrected Rumpler

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Philippe
    Sorties Flown

Argh! I got sucked in by a game of mine! It's called RAF The Battle of Britain

Anyone know this game or played it? I just made myself a new setup a home to play boardgames and had to take that one out for a run...Kept me away from my coding project! But I'm coding now!

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Philippe
    Sorties Flown

Well guys, here is an update, i've done the data...It toooook me soooo long to survive that! I gave it a blitz this morning...from 5 to 8 am this morning...

And I have to say that I have maybe 60-70% of complete Wings of War plane data in. Why not 100% and yet say I am done? Well I've completed a good part of the card planes and ALL mini data. If I refer to this file, all the planes shown here with those service dates are included. So for now, i'm done! I believe players will have enough to play with.

I will complete the graphics and then ship the app so you guys can play with it. While you play with it I will complete with the rest I had in mind in a phase 2 including the real final data with your feedback included.

Let's just hope I can send for Apple approval this week! Keep your fingers crossed!

Hi Philippe,

This looks great, how will it look on the iPad, just a "blown" up version by hitting the x2 button on the screen?

If you wouldnt mind i would like to see some screenshot from IOS Simulator where device is set to iPad and maybe both in landscape and portrait mode.

Fooled around with X-Code myself, but cannot get my head around how it works (well haven't been programming for 12 years)

Looking forward to testdrive this

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Philippe
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Commander View Post
    Hi Philippe,

This looks great, how will it look on the iPad, just a "blown" up version by hitting the x2 button on the screen?

If you wouldnt mind i would like to see some screenshot from IOS Simulator where device is set to iPad and maybe both in landscape and portrait mode.

Fooled around with X-Code myself, but cannot get my head around how it works (well haven't been programming for 12 years)

Looking forward to testdrive this

Right now, I only have the iPhone version but I will release it for the iPad specefic. Everything is already done in HD. I wanted to get more out of the larger screen also eventually with more cool stuff...

So, you won't have to 2X it for iPad...it will look great on there too.

Quote Originally Posted by ste_marthe View Post
    Right now, I only have the iPhone version but I will release it for the iPad specefic. Everything is already done in HD. I wanted to get more out of the larger screen also eventually with more cool stuff...

So, you won't have to 2X it for iPad...it will look great on there too.
    Sounds good, i am looking forward to see what you have made for us all.
    I was thinking about an iPad project myself and what i decided was essentially a "Cockpit Game board" with the maneuver decks to choose from as well, it would then all be on the iPad, meaning easy to move around the gaming table and maybe even adding in a maneuver log function.
    But again I'm not the best programmer out there and would seriously need some practice on a smaller scale before starting on this project, even though it is well defined.

Cowboy10uk

This project sounds really interesting. Although I noticed posts stopped some time ago. Can I ask is it still happening, or has it crashed and burned. I really hope not.

Cowboy10uk

What's the chance of getting it for an android? I'd love to see the Wings Of War game that should have come out for the PS3 and Xbox ported over to tablets....

Quote Originally Posted by LingSter View Post
    What's the chance of getting it for an android? I'd love to see the Wings Of War game that should have come out for the PS3 and Xbox ported over to tablets....
    Sign!

It would be really great if we could get it for anroid too!

Similar Missions

1. iPhone Wings of war utilities?
    By Velox in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-16-2009, 03:51