Ares Games

Thread: man matched machine

Default man matched machine

Fonck seemed so well suited for his SPADs. According to his memoirs, his preferred method was to climb high, dive very very fast, shoot once (3-10 rounds at the crew or gas tank) and then _run_ (diving with great speed away). He could outrun any opponents who managed to react close to fast enough to pursue him.

He seemed bothered by having to fight in teams when he could not just boom and zoom like that.

Fonck claimed fifty one more kills than those he received credit for officially. The grand majority of them were without other maneuvering.

He did recount three fights with loops, half loops, and tight turns. Only three...

SPAD pilots out there... take note. Hit and run...
    But in the game you can come back for another pass, and the altitude is not so critical.

Now onto see what Mancock wrote.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Marts
    Sorties Flown

Fonck claimed fifty one more kills than those he received credit for officially. The grand majority of them were without other maneuvering.
    Would that have made him the highest scorer then? Did any other top aces make extra claims in these kinds of figures that would make them the greatest ace?

I have to say that despite the simple tactics, the fact that he was unpopular amongst his peers, the shadow of Guynemer and his supposed collaboration in a later war Fonck remains my favourite flyer of them all. I can't really say why.

Quote Originally Posted by Danrit View Post
    Would that have made him the highest scorer then? Did any other top aces make extra claims in these kinds of figures that would make them the greatest ace?
    I think M. Richthofen had some 40 unconfirmed victories. However, it's the "unconfirmed" part which matters -- there's more than one instance of a pilot "Playing dead" to escape a dangerous situation; so unless there's a body to step on....

Users Country Flag

Name
    Marts
    Sorties Flown

I suppose that's why Fonck went the extra mile to support his claims, salvaging dead men's papers, cutting instruments from downed aircraft. He knew he wasn't as popular as Guynemer so probably looked to the kill numbers to increase his standing with the public.

Similar Missions

1. Old postcards...a black and white time-machine
    By Bluedevil in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-25-2011, 17:47
  2. Info on WWI aircraft machine guns?
    By Wolfbiter in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-14-2010, 11:33
  3. WWI Machine Guns
    By Horse4261 in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 1