Ares Games

Thread: An Idea after watching air races

Users Country Flag

Name
    ERIN
    Sorties Flown

Default An Idea after watching air races

OK, so I was watching some air racing in the telly.

I was really interested in the flying and the course used. The flight path included a canyon run and then through an open area marked with tall markers.

I can't tell you the show, it was one of those half asleep experiences so the details are obscure.

But it got me thinking. What if that were used as a scenario. Picture it. In some alternate universe, all the different countries have their entries. The race course could be a lot of fun, and the racers would be using live ammunition.

How very 'Arcade' of me.

Anyone have suggestions?

I wrote an article for the SFSFW journal, "Ragnarok", that alllowed "Crimson Skies" aircraft to be used with my Air War: C21 rules, and the setting was the Thompson trophy air races. It would work fine with WoW aircraft as well, although most of the WoW players I know would spend all their time gunning each other rather than following the course

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    ..... most of the WoW players I know would spend all their time gunning each other rather than following the course
    And you say that like it is something bad.....

OK! I am totally confused.....
    Wargamer... why do you use the Pepsi symbol, when you are ... obviously not from Quebec?
    (ducks into the trenches)

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
    But it got me thinking. What if that were used as a scenario. Picture it. In some alternate universe, all the different countries have their entries. The race course could be a lot of fun, and the racers would be using live ammunition.
    *Way* ahead of you on that one, slick -- in fact, I'm hoping to be able to run my "Devil's Cloverleaf" _WoW_ event at the local gaming con next month. :)

The idea sounds like fun to me. What about creating a nicely winded course (with some straights) for not favoring the fast hisso powered crafts... it can really work out. Though i doubt that shooting is really needed, there can be make extra "gun zones" for example, where shooting at each other is allowed (and encourages )

Quote Originally Posted by Justin3.14 View Post
    OK! I am totally confused.....
    Wargamer... why do you use the Pepsi symbol, when you are ... obviously not from Quebec?
    I was amused by his choice of roundel as well, but Quebec? I don't get the connection.

"Pepsi": a disparaging slur on our brethren from Quebec, referencing the province's 1960's purchasing preference for that beverage brand over it's cola rival.

Justin would have responded himself but his is currently "discussing" the matter out behind the machine shop with a several of the lads from the Montreal Squadron. [aside - I hope they don't get any blood splatters on my newly painted canvas :-/ - ouch, that's gonna leave a mark!] ... Alright lads, I think that has settled the matter [dashes behind the machine shop ...]

Well, I like to drink pepsi. It would solve the problem of whose copy of a given plane is whose when I put some decals of that type somewhere on my models. That was all I had in mind. The idea that anyone would resort to violence to state their preference.... hmmm. Let me get back to you on that.

Quote Originally Posted by wargamer View Post
    Well, I like to drink pepsi. It would solve the problem of whose copy of a given plane is whose when I put some decals of that type somewhere on my models. That was all I had in mind. The idea that anyone would resort to violence to state their preference.... hmmm. Let me get back to you on that.
    Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase 'cola wars.'

Haha, indeed!

Coke or Pepsi--why bother? Dr Pepper has more caffeine than either--and made the right way, using the original formula with real sugar instead of that corn-syrup crap, tastes better. Especially when it's used to make a "Frosty Pepper" at the Dr Pepper Museum in Waco...
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

About the racing idea, awesome!!! I'm gonna come up with something, try it, then post it.

By the way, I don't drink soda.

Unfortunately, I don't have that luxury--with how caffeine-dependent I am, it's the difference between me being more like McGee and Abby or a vicious, headsmacking-everyone-in-sight cheesed-off Gibbs. (Even then, I'm usually closer to the latter anyway... just that the caffeine helps keep me less nasty about it.LOL)
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Du doch nicht! View Post
    The idea sounds like fun to me. What about creating a nicely winded course (with some straights) for not favoring the fast hisso powered crafts... it can really work out.
    Funny you mention this -- the "Devil's Cloverleaf" favors handling over speed, as it's a very short course; and since every acft. passes through the crossover four times each lap, well, I'd advise bringing an A-deck unit (and that AB-deck Brisfit -- *whoa*). :)

Sounds to me like a WWII "Devil's Cloverleaf" would definitely favor the Max Headroom custom-card P-61 with its two attacks...

Users Country Flag

Name
    ERIN
    Sorties Flown

David, Thanks for the feedback about "Ragnarok", now I have to research the Thompson trophy air races.

Chris, good luck with your "Devil's Cloverleaf" _WoW_ event at the local gaming con next month. Post some info on it, I will be running a game at the Recon in Florida at the end of April and this idea is beginning to take shape.

Bjorn, I really like your suggestion about the winding course so that each aircraft has a part it excels in, not just speed. Also, my thought was to use a canyon set up with height rules so that if you get too high, and so cheating, there are ground fire spots to discourage such a thing. Thanks for the suggestions.

Hunter, I am glad you are on board and I am looking forward to what you come up with. We need a snazzy name too, like the 'Ragwing Cup' or something. Hmmm...

OK, so my homework on this is to look up 'Devils Clover leaf' and 'Thompson trophy air races'.

One quick thought is that each peg is worth 100 foot height, and rules for height would have to be generated. I am also thinking a bridge to fly under as part of the course is a must. This would need to be more about flying skill than dog fighting. Although a special damage could put a real cramp in your style.

Thanks for the input gents! I should be able to move into the scenario section soon!

Erin

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Sounds to me like a WWII "Devil's Cloverleaf" would definitely favor the Max Headroom custom-card P-61 with its two attacks...
    Given the overpowered nature of cannon in _WoW2_, the races will definitely be much shorter. The question with the P-61 is: Can it complete its first lap (and unlock its guns) before it gets shot to pieces by lesser-armed-but-faster aircraft?

IIRC, the P-61 did have a high top-speed for a twin...

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    IIRC, the P-61 did have a high top-speed for a twin...
    The Cloverleaf rewards handling.

There was a set of racing rules by Brock Ecevit, over at BGG, IIRC. I downloaded them a couple of years ago.

Tea! You should all eschew carbonated children's drinks in favour of tea....Or ale.

To the bar!

Yeah... now where'd that Caf-Pow! machine go? LOL

Similar Missions

1. Dynamic Campaign Idea
    By sparty in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-14-2011, 15:10
  2. Is This A Bad Idea?
    By csadn in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-16-2010, 07:25
  3. Anyone Watching "The Pacific" on HBO?
    By kaufschtick in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-19-2010, 08:41
  4. Mark II gimble mount idea
    By Roger Wilco in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-22-2010, 05:03