Ares Games

Thread: Hello New Zealanders

Default Hello New Zealanders

Hi all from Sunny Dunners

Who was the First New Zealander to become an Ace (5 Kills) and what city did he come from?

Lindsay

I was assuming it was Kieth Park considering he flew in the Great War... I've done a custom Spitfire of his (see my album) if you want it plus a number of other Kiwi aircraft.

By the way... Welcome to the Aerodrome friend. I don't get down to Dunnydin in my camper often, but I'll give you a head's-up if I'm heading that way.
    Max.

Hi Alan
    Flight Sub-Lieutenant Thomas Grey Culling was New Zealand's first World War I flying ace, and was credited with six aerial victories. Culling was assigned to fly Sopwith Triplane No. N5444 with 1 Naval Squadron after joining the Royal Naval Air Service in 1916. He began to score victories in Bloody April 1917, with his first three coming that month. The third one was significant; it was part of one of the war's epic dogfights. On 23 April, Culling was the wingman of the great Australian ace, "Stan" Dallas. The two ANZAC pilots took on a formation of fourteen German planes; using the Triplane's technological advantages and impeccable air tactics, the two Naval aces thwarted the pending air offensive in a 45 minute debacle for the Germans that resulted in three losses. Culling went to three more wins in May. He was killed in action by a German naval flier on 8 June 1917.
    And He was from good old Dunedin. I'm trying to find a picture of his aircraft to model it.

Linz

Yes please! Tell me when ya get it so I can make up a custom card, then again all camels look pretty much the same...

Thanks will do. May do it as a convert from Revell Fokker Triplane. Seems fitting to convert a fokker Triplane to what inspired Fokker to build a Triplane in the first place the sopwith Triplane

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jody
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Linz View Post
    Hi Alan
    Flight Sub-Lieutenant Thomas Grey Culling was New Zealand's first World War I flying ace, and was credited with six aerial victories. Culling was assigned to fly Sopwith Triplane No. N5444 with 1 Naval Squadron after joining the Royal Naval Air Service in 1916. He began to score victories in Bloody April 1917, with his first three coming that month. The third one was significant; it was part of one of the war's epic dogfights. On 23 April, Culling was the wingman of the great Australian ace, "Stan" Dallas. The two ANZAC pilots took on a formation of fourteen German planes; using the Triplane's technological advantages and impeccable air tactics, the two Naval aces thwarted the pending air offensive in a 45 minute debacle for the Germans that resulted in three losses. Culling went to three more wins in May. He was killed in action by a German naval flier on 8 June 1917.
    And He was from good old Dunedin. I'm trying to find a picture of his aircraft to model it.

Linz
    go the NAZACs. i love reading about historical battles like this. 14 germans vs 2 allies! awesome!!! would like to have a re-enactment of that battle sometime. Sopwith tri-plane eh? man i wish they would make a model for that for the allies, id buy 3!

Hi Jody
    Shapeways produce a great Sowith Triplane
    There is a WOW card for Lt T G Culling in the Famous Aces pack.
    I also did a Thread on how to convert a Revell Fokker Triplane to a Sopwith Triplane
    So your problem is solved
    Linz

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jody
    Sorties Flown

k cool, thanx for that Linz. Where do wow players in auckland play? are there gaming stores that have tables for this?

Check with Madboyo
    He has a group of guys who meet on sunday afternoons
    Linz

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jody
    Sorties Flown

awesome. thanx for sharing. i love hearing about one side victories for the allies! and a nz and ozzie pilot no less!