Ares Games

Thread: Local Flight Leader and Flight seeks new/gently used Airfield at reasonable rates...

Default Local Flight Leader and Flight seeks new/gently used Airfield at reasonable rates...

On Sunday, after my regular bi-weekly event, the Owner of Armoury Games sat me down and delivered some rather somber and shocking news. I have known Bruce for 10+ years... like most friends we have had ups and downs. I even managed the store for a year... I have always been extremely loyal to the store, and to the philosophy that we as gamers should Shop Where You Play. I listened rather speechlessly as he informed me that he would be closing the store that I have sometimes thought of as a second home in the very near future. As he has made the announcement official on his website today, I am now able to share the information with my flight and my friends here at the 'Drome.

This is the statement Bruce released on his website this morning:

Quote Originally Posted by Armoury Games Website
    Welcome to our next installment entitled; “A Farewell to Arms” or “So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish”

It is with mixed emotions that I make the following announcement, but after a lot of consideration I have decided to close Armoury Games. I could cite any of a great number of reasons for this decision, such as; wanting more quality time to spend with my family (I haven’t had a vacation in over 10 years), lost sales to on-line discounters, the crappiest economy since the depression, and the government making it nearly impossible to operate a legitimate business just to name a few, but it’s all pretty much moot at this point.
    There are many things that I will miss about the store – the community, friends that I have made that I get to see on a regular basis – and many things that I will not miss – having little to no free time, organizing the calendar of events with the organizers (it’s like herding cats sometimes) and, believe it or not, having no time to play games. I know there is so much more I can say, but I’m not going to at this time. Perhaps I will ruminate more in a future post.
    In the meantime, I will be selling off the store’s entire existing stock, including store terrain and fixtures. Everything will have to go. We will no longer be issuing stamps on Smithy’s Swag Card, but will still honor the discount for a full card (on game stock only, not to include terrain or fixtures). If you have a card that is not completely full, you may use it for a 1% per stamp discount (discount not to exceed $30). I do not have a fixed date yet that will be our last day in operation, but it will not be long off, probably 30 days or less. After our final orders that have already been placed arrive, we will not be ordering any new stock, including special orders, so it’s pretty much what you see is what you get.
    So, to all of you who have loyally supported Armoury Games over the years, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. To those that buy from on-line discounters or illegally download print products, I have a considerably less generous opinion. Just remember, if you play at your local games store, support it by making your purchases there, and, more importantly, by behaving well, being friendly, and helping to invite new members into their community. In this way you can help to keep the endangered species of the friendly local game store alive for a little while longer.
    This has been a very hard pill for me to swallow. I have a few years of retail management experience, and thus could see that the store was struggling like most right now, but I did not see it being this extreme. As you know I have been very enthusiastic (to the point of being annoying and pushy) about the future of events at my FLGS, and now it seems that WE will soon have to find a new location to call home.

This presents problems for me as a Flight Leader, due to my medical inability to operate a motor vehicle. Armoury Games was close enough to my home to make it easy to obtain a ride to and from the store. The remaining stores in the Central Ohio Area are not as close.

I have spent the day speaking with the managers or owners of the five major stores remaining in the area and am trying to work out a practical solution to the problem. I am confident that I will continue to run events and that our flight will find a new home.

I wanted to share this with the entire 'Drome to emphasize the current importance, in our "subdued" economic state, of supporting your local game store when you can. I am a believer that the same goes for our web site here. I am not trying to stand on a soap box and preach, I am just concerned that the very same thing could happen to any of us at any time.

So to my flight I apologize that we will have to deal with being "uprooted" soon. I had said that I intended to run events at multiple locations in town, and I meant it... and now I have no choice. I will of course keep you updated as to upcoming events as I am able to get them planned.

I will of course be posting the AAR and pics from Sunday's Event soon...
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

baronvontigger

Default Sad departures

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear this.Could you tell him from me and crystal ,it was a pleasure and honor to meet him and his kids.Also to play in his shop.We wish him all the the best in the future,and for him to keep in touch.Ken let me know if ya get any news about where we go from here. Hope to see ya in the sky's soon, Baron and Lady Vontigger.

That's a real tough piece of luck Ken, both for the store owner and yourself. Hope you can work it all out without too much hassle. Best wishes.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Sorry to hear that Ken. Hope you are able to find a new billet very soon.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Ouch! That's bad news indeed. I thought such things only happened in Belgium... I sure hope you'll find a new "airfield" to settle down and if it's any help I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Sorry to hear this, its always a shame when a FLGS goes down.

Sorry to hear of your game store's closing. The shop where you've played for years can hold such fond memories that it breaks your heart to see it go.

My old LGS, Mind Games in Toledo, closed its doors in January of 2009. I had worked there for 25 years, and was the manager for most of that time. People I run into still stop me and say "Hey, you used to work at that game store, didn't you? I really miss that place!"

"So do I", I answer with a tear in my eye. "So do I".

Sorry to hear about this, Ken. While a game shop is the ideal place for your meets, you might look into using a room at a local library or community center.

Quote Originally Posted by baronvontigger View Post
    Wow, I'm so sorry to hear this.Could you tell him from me and crystal ,it was a pleasure and honor to meet him and his kids.Also to play in his shop.We wish him all the the best in the future,and for him to keep in touch.Ken let me know if ya get any news about where we go from here. Hope to see ya in the sky's soon, Baron and Lady Vontigger.
    As of right now the store should still be open for our Feb 27 event. So you will likely get a chance to tell him that yourself... and maybe pick up a few items on sale?
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Sorry to hear the news Ken, sounds like your man has had enough & who can blame him but at least you've had the privelege of a friendly LGS all this time - that's more than many of us have had I'm sure. Chi up & good luck in the hunt for a new landing strip ... Tally Ho!

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Ken!

Sad news to hear! Some times the grass is not greener in the next field! At least you have the chance to rescheduled your games!

Rich

To bad about that but some things are out of our controll. You could come fly at my place but it would be a long and costyl commute.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    I wanted to share this with the entire 'Drome to emphasize the current importance, in our "subdued" economic state, of supporting your local game store when you can.
    And I would agree with you -- the problem arises with those last three words. The simple fact is: I am not Made Of Money -- I cannot afford to pay retail. So if it's a choice between Supporting The Local Game Store, and Getting 20% Off Even After Shipping Charges.... "All warfare is economic."

Ken,
    Sorry to hear the bad news...our LGS in Cincinnati does not provide "gaming" space...but, it has been around for at least 30 years. Same owner, same great level of customer service...would just about die if they closed...that's why I agree that spending an extra buck at the "local" vs on-line ordering, keeps them in business.

um...still waiting for a reply to my PM???

I hear you Ken and believe me we do and will support our LGS and this forum. Thanks for keeping us posted and sorry for the bad news.

Tom

Similar Missions

1. Old Flight Leader, new leaf.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-17-2011, 12:46
  2. Surrey Flight Leader
    By tonyc206 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-13-2011, 00:26
  3. Columbus Flight Leader
    By CappyTom in forum Officer's Club