Ares Games

Thread: firing ruler placement

GuySajerGD

Default firing ruler placement

Can you place the firing ruler to check for a potential target anywhere within the firing arc? OR does the ruler have to have one end at the red dot of the center of the airplane, with the edge of the ruler passing over the Blue line at the front the of airplane that is firing?

Thank you

Hi Guy, Welcome to the aerodrome!

RE: ruler placement...the way we play is this: the ruler generally goes from the red dot in the center of the firing plane to the target plane. As long as the ruler stays within the firing arc of the attacking plane AND touches the plane that is being shot at then you have the chance of a hit ... if the ruler is at half-length to the target, then double damage...hope that helps you!

Quote Originally Posted by MayorJim View Post
    Hi Guy, Welcome to the aerodrome!

RE: ruler placement...the way we play is this: the ruler generally goes from the red dot in the center of the firing plane to the target plane. As long as the ruler stays within the firing arc of the attacking plane AND touches the plane that is being shot at then you have the chance of a hit ... if the ruler is at half-length to the target, then double damage...hope that helps you!
    Jim do you guys play "to the mini" or to "anywhere on the base"?
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

We play to the mini...sometimes you have to watch for "fiddlers" ;-) ...almost never play with the cards anymore.

Guy!

The correct method is from red dot or Pin to any point on card or base. I have also tried the pin to pin method. I use 144 scale planes which means the planes are larger than the card/base side the pin to card system works best!

Rich

We play to the mini, which will make a huge difference when the bomber minis come out, I think the cards are a bit small for the real thing

When the Knoxville, TN flight plays we place one end of the ruler at the nose of the plane, where the end of the gun barrels would be for a single seater. We estimate the location of the rear gun barrels. If the line of fire is within the firing arc and the ruler touches the other plane it will be hit if it is within range. Dutchy

Users Country Flag

Name
    James
    Sorties Flown

We play, measure from the peg/dot, to touching the plane.

We have been playing peg to peg. Seems to work well.

We play from peg to base. We have tried most of the others and this method was simple and easy.

Xron Almighty

Red dot or peg to base or card. It works well and dosn't require much explaining.

We play red dot/peg to card/base also.

Timothy!

That is what the rule book says!

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    Timothy!

That is what the rule book says!

Rich
    ...and when has anyone actually followed the rule book ??

Post on the firing plane to the enemy aircraft. Yet another reason that I love to fly the DR 1.

Xron Almighty

@ Mayor Tim
    Hey! I follow the rule book at least 47.32% of the time.

Jonathan!

After an recent game for beginners. Someone was reading the rule book and pointed out i had not applied the smoke and fire damage correctly. I replied i was trying to teach the system, not see how long a plane could fly and burn at the same time! I normally play the correct rules and have had a plane or two slowly come apart!

rich

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by MayorJim View Post
    ...and when has anyone actually followed the rule book ??
    They are not actually rules, they are more like suggestions, right?

Thumbs up firing ruler placement

Brian!

You know i try really, really hard! When ten guys are asking questions i may make a slight error! I normally try to keep the games moving reading that ten pages of rules is tedious!

Rich

We play red dot to base. If you play "to the miniature" samller aircraft can ocasionaly fire on larger planes but not vice versa

At our club we like fast simple games so for us it is peg to peg. With the rules one thing that I would like to see sorted out is as follows, if an aircraft has a gun that can be elevated to fire into a plane above it what range do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by somaliavet View Post
    They are not actually rules, they are more like suggestions, right?
    Well the rules ARE just someone else's opinion aren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    At our club we like fast simple games so for us it is peg to peg. With the rules one thing that I would like to see sorted out is as follows, if an aircraft has a gun that can be elevated to fire into a plane above it what range do you use?
    I don' think the short range restriction is intended to reflect the fact that the fixed weapons can not be angled to target above or below. I think it is a game mechanic to represent increased distance vertically even though the models may occupy nearly the same airspace on the table.
    It is assumed that a plane shooting at a target at a different altitude will change it's targeting angle slightly to compensate. Hence the fact that flex mounted rear guns still use the same range disadvantage as the fixed guns.

What you might want to consider is allowing your special weaponsthat can shoot straight up or straight down like the ones on a swivle mount in a variant of the Me110, to fire while in overlap at the same altitude using the normal 2 token draw for close range. This eliminates the normal no fire zone when you overlap, making this plane a nasty surprise in a close in fight which was the original intent of these aircraft historically. The fiirst shot should be a freebie as far as weapon orientation (up or down if applicable) but the alignment if changed after that should have to be announced the game turn before firing. What planes are you working with?
    Last edited by Charlie3; 04-16-2011 at 19:19.

Similar Missions

1. Firing range in 1/144 scale
    By Oberst Hajj in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-26-2017, 07:55
  2. Aerodrome Prop Ruler - Axis & Allies Set
    By Zerg in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-27-2011, 17:38
  3. manuever/firing
    By Raege in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 2