Ares Games

Thread: Getting Started Advice

Default Getting Started Advice

Hello everyone!

I'm interested in getting started with Wings of Glory and wanted some advice on what planes to buy. My goal is to buy enough planes to play 6 players in a variety of scenarios. I looked at Atomic Empire and Miniature Market to see what planes are available and decided to make my purchase from what's available at Atomic Empire. Sadly, the duel packs aren't available, so I guess I need to buy 6 individual planes. I also looked at the point value posted here to buy planes that are close in points so it's balanced. I read that having a 2 seater bomber will help with missions, so I was thinking I'd buy two single seaters and one double seater for each side. Here's what I'm thinking:

Wings of Glory Rules & Reference
    Entente
    Single seater - SPAD XIII (84 pt)
    Single seater - Sopwith Snipe (97 pt)
    Double seater - RAF R.E. 8 (81 pt)

Central
    Single seater - Phoenix DI (84 pt)
    Single seater - Fokker E.V (89 pt)
    Double seater - Roland C.II (92 pt)

What do you think? Thank you in advance for any advice!

Hi Brett. Not sure about the Re8. I think maybe a B/B DH4 might be a better match. The others look good.

I would suggest a DH4 and a Rumper for the two seaters. The RE8 may not survive very long.

Thank you both for your help! Looking at what Atomic Empire has available right now, they have the following Entente two seaters,

Breguet Br.14 B2 (Escadrille Br 111) (? pt)
    Airco DH.4 (Cotton/Betts) (133 pt)
    Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter (Collishaw/Portsmouth) (86 Pt)
    Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter (Costes/Astor) (86 Pt)

Based on your comments, I'm thinking the Aico DH.4, then? The point value of that was 133, so I skipped that initially. As for Central Powers two seaters they have,

Roland C.II (92 pt)
    Rumpler C.IV (85 pt)
    UFAG CI (83 pt)

So, I could just stick with the Roland or get a Rumpler as you suggested. Overall, think this is a good way to get started for 6 players?

Quote Originally Posted by zerocool749 View Post
    Hello everyone!

I'm interested in getting started with Wings of Glory and wanted some advice on what planes to buy.... Here's what I'm thinking:

Wings of Glory Rules & Reference
    Entente
    Double seater - RAF R.E. 8 (81 pt)

Central
    Double seater - Roland C.II (92 pt)

What do you think? Thank you in advance for any advice!
    What you have in mind for the entente is good, the Snipe is very late war but will match the Fokker E.V. The RAF RE.8 was a workhorse throughout much of the war, it is also a bit slower so easier to catch up to if it gets past you with the Fokker. A DH4 could easily make a space and you'll never catch him. The Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter (Collishaw/Portsmouth) would be a more agile substitute,or, the Breguet Br.14 B2 would be same speed but more robust.
    The Phoenix D.I is Austro Hungarian so not good for the Western Front, if that bothers you, and the Roland C.II is an earlier plane so I'd suggest you go with the Rumpler C.IV, it also has less complex firing arcs. Try and find Albatros' D.Va or D.III, or, even a Fokker D.VII if you can source one.
    These suggestions have nothing whatsoever to do with points but from long experience creating and playing scenarios.
    Good hunting !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Hey, Brett! It really depends on where you plan to go. Initially, it was very hard for me to even find planes, and I started making them. I got into this between Wings of War/Glory. I would say, grab what you can for scouts, and a few two seaters, if possible, for the moment.

PS: I made this list, as my knowledge of WWI aircraft and theatres was non-existant:

Link-> General Overview of WWI Miniatures - Timeline and Theaters 2020

Originally, the listing was so I could pair up planes on the Western Front, mostly, but the list grew to cover all the released minis, so anyone could use the list.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 04-17-2024 at 09:04.

Thanks Flash for taking the time to help!

Okay, I remade my list based on the suggestions:

Entente
    Double seater - Breguet Br.14 B2 (Escadrille Br 111) (86 Pt)

Central
    Double seater - Rumpler C.IV (85 pt)

I'm hoping that should let me do recon, bomber, dogfight missions with 6 players. Eventually I could get a ballloon to do balloon missions too. Thanks!

Brett, get whatever you like and throw points out the window. The last mix you posted looks for a good start. Phonix is a fun plane to fly.

Albatros DIII and DVa were the German workhorse for their time so should be thought of at some point when your collection grows.

I might swap out the Snipe for a Camel. Camel is iconic and the Snipe was a very late comer to the show.

Whatever you get it will be a blast. Have fun!

Hi Peter, thanks for the advice! I'll relax on worrying about the points. I play a few other games like Warhammer 40k or X-Wing that are point based and just wanted to have a balance between the teams. I'll add the Albatros' and Camel to my wishlist for my next purchase, with a balloon too!

Cheers and happy flying.

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    I would suggest a DH4 and a Rumper for the two seaters. The RE8 may not survive very long.
    I know of a certain Belgian RE.8 that might beg to differ...shot down a Fokker D.VII if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by predhead View Post
    I know of a certain Belgian RE.8 that might beg to differ...shot down a Fokker D.VII if I remember correctly.
    Yes, that Belgian RE8 seems to be a pesky fellow. I've had some games where he has run amok.

Brett - eBay might also be another route to grab planes. At times the prices on the currently available offerings are decent.

Looking at the Atomic site, I think I would go with two French SPAD XIII with one French Breguet 14, keeping one nationality. They might face the Fokker E.V and a Hannover Cl.III, or a pair of Fokker E.Vs. I know that is just five planes, but the Fokkers have great maneuverability as compared to the SPADs (in the game, we tinker with a few mods to give the SPAD a more historical feel).

Side question for the forum - does the Fokker E.V come with any ace or special cards?

Quote Originally Posted by zerocool749 View Post
    Hi Peter, thanks for the advice! I'll relax on worrying about the points. I play a few other games like Warhammer 40k or X-Wing that are point based and just wanted to have a balance between the teams. I'll add the Albatros' and Camel to my wishlist for my next purchase, with a balloon too!

Cheers and happy flying.
    Balloons are always fun to try to shoot down. Not always that easy!

Points - yes some planes are better than others but the randomness of the damage cards is the great equalizer. An RE8 can still throw a boom at a Fokker DVII!

ill give you the same advice i give everyone, buy every mini you can get your paws on! youll miss them when theyre no longer available, trust me on this. still have some holes in my collection because i started out buying only 1 of each sculpt instead of everything available.

Hi Brett, welcome to the 'Drome!

As Peter said, ditch the points and snag a variety of planes to allow differing mix-n-match games.

No game utilising "points" has ever worked out properly - just see all the changes/additions/new coping rules which are always present in any 2nd edition!

Philip has also nailed it; get every plane you can while they are out there!
    Even if you don't use them all in a year or two they will become invaluable trading items...
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Welcome to the 'drome, Brett

Another option that greatly expands the available aircraft is to use ready-made full color 3D printed ones from a member here:
    Reduced Aircraft Factory full color planes

Daryl also has a very helpful site that has historical and game data for the planes as well as plane cards:
    Wings of Linen wiki

That site will also show that you can also use decks from some planes for others: a Sopwith RE8 'K' deck works for the Sopwith Baby, for example.

Other planes have decks that so far only apply to them (Sopwith Triplane 'U', Bristol F.2A 'S', Siemens-Schuckert D.III 'O', etc.) and are usually $$$ but you can print and sleeve your own decks. I'll PM you a link.

For extra bases you can use generic Litko and glue a peg in it or telescoping magnet tools with a machine screw to hold it in place, this latter methods needs a 'gimbal mount' at the top for fancy stunting but you only need to make a set of a dozen or so that can be used with all your planes.

If you are interested in custom bases for some of the unofficial planes that have odd firing arcs, there's info here: custom Litko bases. I just recently ordered a few more as I was running low. I don't receive any kickback on those, just something useful for the game.

Enjoy!

Similar Missions

1. Nothing like an ME 109 to get the day started
    By tikkifriend in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-10-2020, 16:12
  2. Just getting started :)
    By Cdn-flyer in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-05-2017, 01:51
  3. Getting started in WOG after 5 yrs.
    By mike_espo in forum WGF: General Discussions