Ares Games

Thread: WW2 Sails of Glory OR WW2 Sails of Glory TYPE game that's family friendly?

Default WW2 Sails of Glory OR WW2 Sails of Glory TYPE game that's family friendly?

Question!

My son is 11. He was wondering if there was a World War 2 tabletop game that uses miniature WW2 battleships that I could play with my son? Nothing so complicated that we can't enjoy it together! LOL Now that we've gotten into the Wings of Glory games he had said he wants to do something with battleships from WW2. He wants to take on the Bismark!

Any suggestions for WW2 Naval games that we can use miniature ships with? Suggestions? Opinions? Thoughts? Complaints? Dad jokes? lol

Thanks guys!

--Chuck

PS: Would these models work?
    https://www.flyingmule.com/range/die...tini-warships/
    Last edited by ArkansasChuck; 04-16-2024 at 08:57. Reason: grammar
    “Flying is hours and hours of boredom sprinkled with a few seconds of sheer terror!” Gregory “Pappy” Boyington, USMC”

If you want something entry level-ish then Axis and Allies war at sea is relatively straightforward, though it uses a gridded board and there is a fair amount of dice chucking. The Minis are 1:1800, pre-painted and are a reasonable, though smallish, scale for targets for Wings! I think the game is out of print, but there's a reasonable 2nd hand market.

If you wanted something more Wings-esque and cheap homebrew you could use wings manoeuvre decks, but adapt some of the concepts in Star Wars Armada [in particular small ships planning for only the next turn with larger ships having to plan for the next 2-3 turns] and X-wing [choosing which firing arc to stick your turret(s) in]. Get a few 1:1200 ships and have at it. If using wings decks you will have to account for the length of the bigger ships somehow so as not to give them a ridiculous speed advantage- maybe have the smaller ships move 2 cards at once, or move the big ships using a consistent reference point rather than front to back.

I'm sure some of the sails or glory rules could be brought across too, but I'm less familiar with those.

1:1200 will also look nice as wings targets but will be easier to hit!

Cruel Seas can be a fun game, though not quite as easy/complex as WoG.
    Also, I don't know how much is supported now that Skytrex took it over from Warlord Games.
    The ships can be a challenge to build, also.

A&A War at Sea has the rules on-line (somewhere), and ships can be sourced from Shapeways, if the secondhand market doesn't provide.
    I haven't played it, though I'm sure there are those here that can chime in.

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

The community for War at Sea is still around at Forumini.Boards.com - tell 'em Diamondback sent you, I was once one of the top ten collections worldwide. Fun game, but more 'fleet management' and less 'tactical maneuvering' than Wings/Sails.

With the necessity of plane-ship interaction in the coming Cactus set I've been trying to get the team to look at a WWII ship line or even just adding ship movement rules beyond static targets, but so far no luck. Next move is to try to get them to develop add-on packs of ship target cards... the rub is in air terms a ship is a floating flak battery and the bigger it is the more and bigger guns it can shoot at you with.

Let's say you're looking at IJN Akizuki, a purpose designed antiaicraft destroyer. These ships have eight 3.9" DP main guns in four twin turrets, each gun throwing at least 1-2 D chits at a time. If we assume attack from all quarters that's two guns, call it 8 D's (or maybe 12 C's at close range) per sector.. She also has up to 51 25mm autocannons, we'll figure 25% per quarter so that's another 12-13 C chits coming at your flight too. Does this sound like any more fun to keep track of for the ship's player than dodging it does for the planes' player?

Let's ramp it up a little. Antiaircraft cruiser USS Oakland, an improved Atlanta. She has six dual 5" DP's, let's call each a one-chit advantage over their counterparts on Akizuki, with much faster traverse, elevation and reloading in addition to centralized fire control. Let's assume all these advantages mean you have a third of the main battery, 4 guns, firing into each quadrant (yes, some twice). Each sector is getting say 12 D's (or alternate 18 C's?) of Hurt Can poured into it. She has 8 twin 40mm Bofors mounts, we'll assume 2 C's per bore, adding another 4 C's of pain per sector. Then we add the 16 20mm Oerlikons, each throwing a C, for 4 MORE C's per sector.

Shall I press on to sketch out the batteries of Missouri and Yamato, or have we already had enough pain for one day?
    Last edited by Diamondback; 04-17-2024 at 13:05.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

You guys are amazing. Thank you! I think the Axis and Allies War and Sea sounds like pretty close to what I am looking for. I may try and get it later this summer and see what my kids think!

Thank you all for the kind advice!
    “Flying is hours and hours of boredom sprinkled with a few seconds of sheer terror!” Gregory “Pappy” Boyington, USMC”

Similar Missions

1. WGF & WGS: Wings of Glory and Sails of Glory with the designer in Rome, 25th of September
    By Angiolillo in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-19-2015, 23:45
  2. National: Wings of Glory e Sails of Glory a Roma, venerdì 25 settembre
    By Angiolillo in forum Italian Wing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-19-2015, 23:23
  3. National: Wings of Glory & Sails of Glory al MACRO giovedì
    By Angiolillo in forum Italian Wing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-20-2014, 06:08
  4. National: Sails of glory game mats