Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scratch built Drachen - My first paper model!

Default Scratch built Drachen in progress - My first paper model!

Just trying to build one of those suckers!
    Any suggestions for paint jobs?

Built

Thanks

For updates head over here: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...72-Prime-Time&
    Last edited by nodegamra; 02-28-2011 at 08:17.

Scratch-designed, built-from-kit, or download-and-print?

Nice build, so far!
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Nice job - if that was home-designed as well, you've clearly got a knack for that there jommetry.... For colours, assuming German I'd go for the classic slightly yellow linen with black eisenkreuz on white squares.

Impressive! and substantially cheaper than the Wow or Skytrex variants too, now thats a way to put in place a full balloon blockade line without having to starve the wife and children for a month or two...

Any chance of you sharing the plans for these? Just as with the fiddlers green paper planes, these could be printed in colour before assembly... Now if there's any artists on the group, they could then uploaded coloured-in variants (with markings etc)...

Very impressive - would love to see pics of the finished article once you have it painted.

Awesome! Please share where you got the plans?!

Zach

Very nice! Are you planning on painting it via brush, or skinning it in Photoshop and then making it a print and fold model?

Either way, good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Scratch-designed, built-from-kit, or download-and-print?

Nice build, so far!
    This one is scratch built, had to bite the bullet.

Default Many chioces

@ DOM S - Thank you, I will keep it in mind.

@ FerretDave - Definitely cheaper and no starving. You are right add colour before printing.

@ Shiraz68 - Thanks.

@ vacca rabite - The plans are still a work in progress. Pain in the rear if you ask me, printed plans are super tiny!

@ mr7q - Choices, choices, choices. Hmm, I was thinking of airbrushing too cold for that (Chicago) and the garage is not heated. It just might be just paint brush. Tempted to make it a print and fold.

@ grumpybear - Made out of card stock.

Last edited by nodegamra; 02-14-2011 at 07:47.

Design work in progress

Whoa! We wanna make one!

petitbilbo

androtex

I want it!!
    Great job!!!

It looks great! Impressive that you scratch designed that!

I would recommend lightly spraying that with some sort of sealer a couple of times before painting it... I say this because any type of paint is going to cause the cardstock to warp on you some. I can't even assure you that the sealer won't do the same. I have painted a couple of paper models before and it can be a tedious task to get it to look like you really intended... (see: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=319 )
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Thanks for the tip!

Gerardo...Great looking balloon!

I'm only getting the second picture. But it still looks great!

Great design, how were you able to keep the lines so crisp?

go with what the Cowman said and you should be fine.. I would recommend spraying from a distance of a foot or more.. give the sealer more time to dry in air and may not 'wet' the paper so much.. I also used to use this method as a texturing option.. rough and grainy... kinda like Spackle on the outside of a house...this would be awesome to try and build.. are you going to post up your plans.. ???

Once you get it fully worked out, you should drop Col. Hajj a line about maybe having a few laser-cut kits made... who all makes a 1/144 Parseval-Sigsfeld, anyway?

Now all we need is an Avorio-Prassone (sp?) for the Italians...
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Badin23 View Post
    Great design, how were you able to keep the lines so crisp?
    Folded the stock with a metal ruler.

Quote Originally Posted by rote Flügel View Post
    go with what the Cowman said and you should be fine.. I would recommend spraying from a distance of a foot or more.. give the sealer more time to dry in air and may not 'wet' the paper so much.. I also used to use this method as a texturing option.. rough and grainy... kinda like Spackle on the outside of a house...this would be awesome to try and build.. are you going to post up your plans.. ???
    Thank you for the pointers.
    I did some car paint jobs back about 15 years ago. I just hope that I have not lost the touch. Need to practice some masking and painting to develop a steady hand again.

Once you get it fully worked out, you should drop Col. Hajj a line about maybe having a few laser-cut kits made... who all makes a 1/144 Parseval-Sigsfeld, anyway?

Now all we need is an Avorio-Prassone (sp?) for the Italians...
    That sounds like a challenge (JK)

Yeah it is a 1/144 based on a 20m body lenght. I think that it would be cool to make Avorio-Prassone. Maybe a future project.
    Last edited by nodegamra; 02-14-2011 at 20:49.

Gerardo, P-S is exactly the kind of Drachen you've built; other common names for it being "sausage" and "testicle." I know at least one vendor makes a resin P-S in our scale, another 'Dromer has one, was just trying to remember all the options... yours has the attractive option that it could easily be modified to store game pieces inside it, cutting down on space requirements for your WoW goodies.

Gerardo, P-S is exactly the kind of Drachen you've built; other common names for it being "sausage" and "testicle." I know at least one vendor makes a resin P-S in our scale, another 'Dromer has one, was just trying to remember all the options... yours has the attractive option that it could easily be modified to store game pieces inside it, cutting down on space requirements for your WoW goodies.
    Arghhh! I meant the Avorio-Prassone, lol.

These things happen to all of us every once in a while, amigo--just that this one was your turn on the short straw.

Very nice model. I'll take 2.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Sorties Flown

Brilliant model, and not an expensive one either. Cheers.

HOLY MOLEY!!! Amazing work! And from scratch!
    I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!

Default New model

Here is the new model I will be working on.

I just hope it translates well into paper
    Last edited by nodegamra; 02-16-2011 at 22:10. Reason: pic

Quote Originally Posted by nodegamra View Post
    Here is the new model I will be working on.

I just hope it translates well into paper
    Pretty Spiffy! Prepare for some sore fingers when you are done!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

lol

New one looks like a Caquot/Ae800... (the latter beinmg a Kraut knock-off Caquot--same as the "Balloon Busters" mini.)

Nice work so far!

New one looks like a Caquot/Ae800... (the latter beinmg a Kraut knock-off Caquot--same as the "Balloon Busters" mini.)

Nice work so far!
    It is based on the drawings of the A P.

Interesting... so several sources recognized the weakness of the "Sausage's" single fin.

Either way, better than I can do! Heck, just looking at the Zeppelin blueprints I was gonna try to re-render in Google SketchUp makes my brain go into overload and shutdown... What 3d-modeler are you using, out of curiosity?

Interesting... so several sources recognized the weakness of the "Sausage's" single fin.

Either way, better than I can do! Heck, just looking at the Zeppelin blueprints I was gonna try to re-render in Google SketchUp makes my brain go into overload and shutdown... What 3d-modeler are you using, out of curiosity?
    Yeah after looking at some of the prints the same thing happened to me!

Name of the software is called Wings3D

EDIT: Sorry I wanted to correct the name and ended up erasing the whole line.
    Last edited by nodegamra; 02-19-2011 at 22:55. Reason: Bad EDIT

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

That AP looks very promising - you've captured the rather squat look of it nicely.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Christoph
    Sorties Flown

For what it is worth; as a scratch built paper modeler, I use Krylon primer on all of mine. Krylon happens to be formulated for paper as well as other things, or so it says on the label, and I have not had any trouble with it. For my Type "P" zeppelin I first coated it with Elmer's which also helped to tighten the skin on the ribs. But for something the size fo the Drachen I would suggest the Krylon.

Christoph

Quote Originally Posted by Stoff View Post
    For what it is worth; as a scratch built paper modeler, I use Krylon primer on all of mine. Krylon happens to be formulated for paper as well as other things, or so it says on the label, and I have not had any trouble with it. For my Type "P" zeppelin I first coated it with Elmer's which also helped to tighten the skin on the ribs. But for something the size fo the Drachen I would suggest the Krylon.

Christoph
    You are right, you just reminded me about my model rocket days!!!
    Christoph thanks for chiming in.

The card model looks great Hope to see more as I've been making paper models to fill in the many blanks in the minis line up. Uh hum, and or are too expensive such as those ballons :P

You ever frequent Papermodelers.com ?

I've done a few full paint jobs on card models before and as was suggeted earlier Krylon works good, but Mr/ Surfacer 500 in a spray can works better. A tad expensive for such a little can but the result was fantastic. After a couple coats of that paint with your choice. I'ld post a pic but you may not be interested in a Macross (Japanese anime) model.

G1

Very cool project and it looks really good!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Getter 1 View Post
    The card model looks great Hope to see more as I've been making paper models to fill in the many blanks in the minis line up. Uh hum, and or are too expensive such as those ballons :P

You ever frequent Papermodelers.com ?

I've done a few full paint jobs on card models before and as was suggeted earlier Krylon works good, but Mr/ Surfacer 500 in a spray can works better. A tad expensive for such a little can but the result was fantastic. After a couple coats of that paint with your choice. I'ld post a pic but you may not be interested in a Macross (Japanese anime) model.

G1
    This is my first try to making a paper model. At the moment it is complete I just need to take some time to paint it. Yes buying models can get a bit pricey

I am thinking of getting some Krylon but can't find it. It seems that all big box stores changed to another brand and krylon is out for good. It's getting hard as here in Chicago no one sells spray cans (by law). Need to go out to the surrounding suburbs.

I have never been to the website you mentioned, I will have to check it out. I will also look up the Mr Surfacer 500.

I would love to see that pic, I hope that it is the VF-1S (Skull One!)

Thanks for the comments and the info, I really appreciate it.
    Last edited by nodegamra; 02-20-2011 at 22:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    Very cool project and it looks really good!
    Thanks Col. Hajj

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    That AP looks very promising - you've captured the rather squat look of it nicely.
    Thanks Dom!
    I got pics for the work in progress over here.
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...-Construction&

Thanks again.

Nodegamra,

You can find the Mr. Surfacer at several online hobby stores. It stinks to high heaven though so be sure to have proper ventilation :P

The model isn't Skull Leader sorry to say. It's the VF-2SS (from Macross II) in a low vis color scheme. But if Skull Leader is your fancy do check out the download section of papermodlers. I did an extensive project in conjunction with Janx to upgrade the VF-1S models from Shunichi Makino,

http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/%7Esf-papercraft/

His model of the VF-1S only covered Fighter mode and the Gerwalk mode. I modded the Fighter to include a better Gerwalk and even the Battroid model. I also made cockpits, the 2 seater VF-1D and many mnay more accessories. Janx covered the armored versions and all the weapons. Here's a thread I started with some pix for ya,

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/f...-valkyrie.html

And for the painted VF-2SS here's a few pix. The model was designed by Janx and this was the prototype I built for him. I'm gonna invite him over here and perhaps he can make some models for this forum. His skills are out of this world.

Keep up the ballon project. Not tying to sidetrack your thread here

G1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 03200017.jpg   02180015.jpg   02140002.jpg  

Wow!
    Thank you John A.K.A. G1 for sharing the knowledge!
    Last edited by nodegamra; 02-20-2011 at 22:46.

Skytrex do a resin P-S.

EDIT - helps to quote the post I'm replying to... :-)
    [QUOTE=Diamondback;49713]... who all makes a 1/144 Parseval-Sigsfeld, anyway?
    QUOTE]
    Last edited by FerretDave; 02-21-2011 at 03:35.

[QUOTE=Diamondback;49713]... who all makes a 1/144 Parseval-Sigsfeld, anyway?
    QUOTE]

Skytrex do a resin P-S

Two thumbs up from me! It's great to see people making neat things out of common, inexpensive materials.

Your paper Drachens are absolutely amazing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-09-2011, 14:56
  2. Skytrex bombers built and painted!
    By vacca rabite in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-02-2011, 06:30
  3. How many Nieuports were built?
    By john snelling in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-08-2010, 17:35
  4. Scratch-built Gotha G.IV
    By Guntruck in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-07-2010, 21:43
  5. Scratch builds, same scale as the cards. (pic heavy)
    By DentedHead in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 07-06-2010, 12:32