Ares Games

Thread: Beaufighter: different Marks, different looks

Default Beaufighter: different Marks, different looks

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Wasn't the Mk X in particular a torpedo-attack specialst? And what would it take to turn the existing Ares Beau into one?
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Maybe not much DB, there was a Beaufighter Mk.VIC (ITF) - Interim torpedo fighter, version that would require little effort. Looking at images of them I'm not sure the Mk X had any major visual differences, unless you go for one with the extended nose.?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Could we pass it off as an Australian Mk. 21? I know late Mk X's had a forward extension on the fin... Mk. I's were murder on Japanese shipboard flak at Bismarck Sea.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristo...thwest_Pacific
    OK I moved this discussion here, to avoid clogging Taranto:

Here's some profiles:
    The Mk.IV vs the Mk. X:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mx.I vs. Mx.X.png 
Views:	32 
Size:	243.7 KB 
ID:	336874

And here's the Mk.XXI:

Name:	Mk.21.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	336875

Looks like the Ares Beaufighter can pass for a Mk.XXI, but not for a Mk.X, if you're fussy at 1/200 scale.

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Here's a Mk.I in the Pacific:

Name:	Beaufighter%20J%2030%20Sqn%20RAAF.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	336892
    Karl
    Last edited by Jager; 03-22-2024 at 11:43.
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Karl, the fin strake was added very late in the Mk X run, most didn't have it.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

BRISTOL BEAUFIGHTER MK VIC (ITF)

Some good pics and info on the MkVI variant here

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

I'd say that the Ares Beaufighter will do. The big issue is hanging the torp where the peg goes.
    Karl

Not if it's done right... it won't hang right on every plane if Ares just tools a single "torpedo peg" but that's exactly what I've proposed as an Easy Button to Rob at Ares. Bonus, a removable torp is a visible indicator of which planes are unencumbered and which are still loaded down.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I'd say that the Ares Beaufighter will do. The big issue is hanging the torp where the peg goes.
    Karl
    The bigger issue is the Ares Beaufighters have the tailplane dihedral of later marks but are supposed to be Mk.Is.

I wanna say one of the three is a Mk VI... when tey came out, we discussed it and if you can get the tailplanes separated it's a simple matter to file the contact surfaces for a flat connection and glue them back in thusly adjusted.

Jager, this was fascinating stuff. I had no idea about the differences in the planes. Thank you for sharing! I love stuff like this! I'm such a WW2 plane nerd. haha!

-Chuck
    “Flying is hours and hours of boredom sprinkled with a few seconds of sheer terror!” Gregory “Pappy” Boyington, USMC”

Similar Missions

1. Me 309 Marks out of 10
    By tikkifriend in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-18-2022, 08:31
  2. Marks and Spencer special.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 06-29-2020, 16:40
  3. WGSF Beaufighter Camo.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 4