Ares Games

Thread: Gritty Goblin Games Wings of War/Glory, 14 March 2024

Default Gritty Goblin Games Wings of War/Glory, 14 March 2024

This month we had four pilots, Todd aka Pseudotheist, Michael aka CaptWillard, Jim aka Jim and myself. We flew two missions, one involving tanks! And the second a Gotha bombing mission.

French Armor & AEF Wings - September 1918 AAR#1:

As part of the Hundred Days Offensive in eastern France, the French and American forces have launched a joint assault on the German defensive line of three machine gun (MG) nests. The French have assembled a force of three Renault tanks to spearhead the attack supported by the American Expeditionary Forces (AEF) Air Service comprising a Nieuport 28 and a SPAD XIII (both A-firing).

The Germans have alerted their local winged ground-attack compatriots for support and three Halberstadt CL.IIs (B-firing two-seaters) are enroute.

Special rules
    The MG nests can only use infantry rifle fire rules against enemy aircraft, i.e., if an aircraft overlaps the card, the aircraft draws a B-damage card and suffers any special damage effects but not damage points. The nests cannot inflict damage on the tanks. The nests need to receive 5 damage points by tank or aircraft fire or be overlapped by a tank card to be eliminated.

The tanks set up three ruler lengths from the MG defensive line. They move half a ruler length at the beginning of the third movement phase of each turn and fire a half-ruler length inflicting one B-damage. The tanks cannot shoot at airplanes. They can turn using an XA maneuver card but that is the extent of that movement. They need to receive 10 damage points to be eliminated or receive special damage of fire, engine hits or a Boom card to be immobilized.

Otherwise Boom cards count as half damage rounded down for airplanes or MG nests.

Victory conditions:
    The Entente forces achieve a marginal victory if all machine gun (MG) nests are destroyed.
    The Entente forces achieve a significant victory if all MG nests are destroyed and at least one tank moves completely beyond the MG defensive line.
    German marginal victory requires all tanks to be destroyed or disabled and at least one MG nest remains.
    The Germans achieve a significant victory if all tanks are destroyed, at least one MG nest remains and all Entente aircraft are destroyed or leave the field.

My thanks to Dom/Spoonfrog and Gary/Baxter for leveraging their AARs for inspiring this scenario.

Three German machine gun nests on the eastern edge with the Halberstadts flying cover. Todd is flying the two to the south including the yellow/red striped one and I have the white striped one to the north. I had to double-up Todd with two Halberstadts for scenario balance after my earlier test run at my aerodrome indicated the need for three defending aircraft. The red/white striped pipe cleaner marks the Hindenburg line.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3775.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	261.8 KB 
ID:	336722

The French armor start line with the American Nieuport 28 and two Renault tanks to the south led by Michael and the American SPAD XIII and the third tank led by Jim.

Name:	IMG_3776.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	201.9 KB 
ID:	336723

Both sides advance towards each other.

Name:	IMG_3777.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	240.0 KB 
ID:	336724

The Michael’s Nieuport tangles with Todd’s pair of Halberstadts which are flying in a very tight formation to ease the challenge of flying two aircraft.

Name:	IMG_3779.jpg 
Size:	228.1 KB 
ID:	336725

The resulting exchange bodes ill for the Nieuport as the first set of cards from the Halberstadts includes the dreaded Boom card, fortunately the half-damage variety.

Name:	IMG_3781.jpg 
Size:	218.8 KB 
ID:	336726

Next turn has the Halberstadt observers deliver the coup de grace to the Nieuport.

Name:	IMG_3782.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	229.5 KB 
ID:	336727

Jim’s SPAD avenges the Nieuport by flying past my Halberstadt and eliminating the northern machine gun nest. A bomb crater signifies its demise.

Name:	IMG_3783.jpg 
Size:	246.2 KB 
ID:	336728

Name:	IMG_3784.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	242.4 KB 
ID:	336729

Meanwhile Todd and I put shots on the tanks which need 10 points of damage to stop them.

Name:	IMG_3785.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	249.2 KB 
ID:	336730

As the French armor slowly advances, the remaining American mixes it up with the three Halberstadts.

Name:	IMG_3789.jpg 
Size:	254.1 KB 
ID:	336731

The SPAD finds himself in a Halberstadt sandwich but still knocks out the southern machine gun nest with one well-placed burst of fire from his Vickers.

Name:	IMG_3792.jpg 
Size:	191.3 KB 
ID:	336732

Todd’s pair of Halberstadts get in a perfect position on the advancing tanks and sets the southern tank on fire which immobilizes it.

Name:	IMG_3793.jpg 
Size:	228.5 KB 
ID:	336733

Next turn Todd inflicts engine damage on the center tank which stops it in its tracks.

Name:	IMG_3795.jpg 
Size:	231.2 KB 
ID:	336734

As Todd pours more lead in the remaining tank, Jim’s SPAD does likewise to the remaining MG nest.

Name:	IMG_3799.jpg 
Size:	233.6 KB 
ID:	336735

Name:	IMG_3800.jpg 
Size:	169.2 KB 
ID:	336736

Close range shots from Todd and my Halberstadts on the remaining tank result in four goose eggs!

Name:	IMG_3801.jpg 
Size:	234.3 KB 
ID:	336737

Todd’s next round of shooting hits home as the tank receives 10 damage points and erupts in flames.

Name:	IMG_3803.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	238.8 KB 
ID:	336738

The plucky American continues the battle taking on the best the Halberstadts can throw at him, as he sees the remaining MG has 4 damage points and only needs one more for an Entente victory.

Name:	IMG_3807.jpg 
Size:	248.1 KB 
ID:	336739

And his next burst of Vickers lead scores just enough to take out the remaining MG.

Name:	IMG_3808.jpg 
Size:	229.3 KB 
ID:	336740

Name:	IMG_3808a.jpg 
Size:	225.3 KB 
ID:	336741

But the American cannot escape the wrath of the Halberstadts and finally goes down. But what a run of 0’s!

Name:	IMG_3810.jpg 
Size:	239.1 KB 
ID:	336742

Name:	IMG_3811.jpg 
Size:	239.6 KB 
ID:	336743

Todd’s yellow Halberstadt took some damage while his other bird was never fired upon.

Name:	IMG_3815.jpg 
Size:	230.4 KB 
ID:	336744

While my bird was barely touched except for the headache the pilot received from the SPAD.

Name:	IMG_3812.jpg 
Size:	177.2 KB 
ID:	336745

So with the elimination of all the MG nests, the Franco-American forces achieve a marginal victory which will allow the ground troops to swarm through the gap in the German defensive lines and onto the end of the war. A well fought game with carnage a plenty.

Name:	Renault Tanks at Nampcel August 1918.jpg 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	336721
    Renault Tanks at Nampcel August 1918
    French Renault FT-17 tanks passing through the village of Nampcel, 20 August 1918. Imperial War Museums French First World War Official Exchange Collection.
    Last edited by CrashCraig; 03-17-2024 at 10:33.

Gritty Goblin Games Wings of War/Glory, 14 March 2024

This is the second game of the night which sees a Gotha attack on a strategic target in England.

Gotha Bombing Run AAR#2:

A Gotha piloted by Capt. Willard is headed to one of three targets known only to him. Two RFC Sopwith Triplanes and a Sopwith Pup are defending the targets.

German marginal victory requires the target is bombed.
    It’s a significant German victory if the target is destroyed and the Gotha returns to its baseline.

Boom cards count as half damage rounded down.

Todd in the green triplane is in the lead plane with Jim in the yellow triplane on the right and my Pup lagging behind on the left.

Name:	IMG_3817.jpg 
Size:	210.7 KB 
ID:	336746

Michael’s Gotha ultimately is heading for the target on his left unknown to the RFC.

Name:	IMG_3818.jpg 
Size:	269.7 KB 
ID:	336747

Todd’s Triplane banks left heading for the Gotha starboard flank.

Name:	IMG_3820.jpg 
Size:	228.4 KB 
ID:	336748

And like the first game, Todd’s first shot on Mike is a Boom card! In all fairness we used a different deck this game too,

Name:	IMG_3821.jpg 
Size:	291.9 KB 
ID:	336749

The Gotha fires on the triplane and suffers a gun jam for its efforts.

Name:	IMG_3823.jpg 
Size:	281.5 KB 
ID:	336750

The other Triplane and the Pup close and get off some shots while the Gotha’s front gun remains jammed.

Name:	IMG_3824.jpg 
Size:	252.5 KB 
ID:	336751

The Gotha recovers from the jam to hit the Pup causing a stream of smoke.

Name:	IMG_3827.jpg 
Size:	242.6 KB 
ID:	336752

The Gotha puts more lead into the Pup while it banks left, heading towards its target.

Name:	IMG_3831.jpg 
Size:	298.0 KB 
ID:	336753

Jim’s triplane fires at the Gotha as it heads to the target.

Name:	IMG_3833.jpg 
Size:	240.8 KB 
ID:	336754

And is set on fire as its reward.

Name:	IMG_3834.jpg 
Size:	243.0 KB 
ID:	336755

Jim’s blazing triplane continues tailing the Goths as it makes it bombing run.

Name:	IMG_3835.jpg 
Size:	229.2 KB 
ID:	336756

Michael’s Gotha is pinpoint accurate as it hits the center of the target.

Name:	IMG_3836.jpg 
Size:	276.8 KB 
ID:	336757

The Gotha is able to shake close pursuit and heads up the edge of the mat to home.

Name:	IMG_3839.jpg 
Size:	222.5 KB 
ID:	336758

But Todd’s triplane is able to get within range and sends the Gotha to the dirt.

Name:	IMG_3841.jpg 
Size:	231.8 KB 
ID:	336759

Minor damage to the Pup.

Name:	IMG_3842.jpg 
Size:	250.6 KB 
ID:	336760

Jim’s triplane has moderate damage despite the onboard fire.

Name:	IMG_3843.jpg 
Size:	267.6 KB 
ID:	336761

Likewise Todd’s triplane.

Name:	IMG_3844.jpg 
Size:	251.9 KB 
ID:	336762

Since Michael’s Gotha successfully bombed its target, he achieved a marginal German victory. So this evening Michael was two-for-two!
    Last edited by CrashCraig; 03-15-2024 at 14:39.

Love the scenario! I will have to borrow the tanks for one of ours some time in the future!

That damage deck wasn't well shuffled in the first game. And Todd must have been cursing the gun jams in the second game.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Two more scenarios to add to my to do list.
    It's high time I got out my little tanks again.
    Thanks for an interesting account Craig.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    That damage deck wasn't well shuffled in the first game. And Todd must have been cursing the gun jams in the second game.
    You know us too well Robert! Missed you at the game. And thanks for those tank cards, they work great.
    Last edited by CrashCraig; 03-16-2024 at 05:33.

Thanks Craig & Co, a couple of entertaining games there, well played all.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

A smashing pair of AARs - many thanks for posting them.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Great pair of games and AARs!

What scale are your tanks? I have some 15mm but they seem to big to me so I haven't used them.

Excellent AARs, Craig
    REP

I think they're 6mm, Peter?
    I have some shapeways Brit Mk.IV's and German A7V's in that scale.

Name:	brit mk 4.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	336804

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Great pair of games and AARs!

What scale are your tanks? I have some 15mm but they seem to big to me so I haven't used them.
    Peter-the Renaults are by Kallistra Miniatures: www.kallistra.co.uk/?page=130#brtanks. They are 12mm (1:144 scale) and come in packs of 3 for 6 pounds sterling. I also got a Mark IV & the German A7V (1 per pack) but both of those seem too big for the table. The Renaults are a better fit size-wise. Enjoy!

I picked up some from Historical Board Gaming. They 3D print a lot of smaller scale armor and soldiers.

https://www.historicalboardgaming.co...x5_p_2003.html

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post
    I picked up some from Historical Board Gaming. They 3D print a lot of smaller scale armor and soldiers.

Thanks guys. I escaped the Historical Board Gaming web site with only $45 damage. If SWMBO gets to the mail before I do

Just checked out the site Peter.
    You must have been very self controlled.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Just checked out the site Peter.
    You must have been very self controlled.
    Rob.
    It was painful. My original cart was overflowing! Cut it back to a bare minimum. But as MacArthur said, "I shall return".

Very interesting scenarios, I may borrow the half damage Boom card myself!!!
    Thanks for posting such interesting scenarios!!!

Quote Originally Posted by camelbeagle View Post

Yeah I have a bunch of his stuff to paint ...

Thanks for posting Crash! It was a fun night!

Nice set of games. I liked the ground support one, as I've run a few of them. I'll probably borrow some ideas too

I have seen the historical board gaming site, though I haven't bought anything,...yet.
    I've gotten my WW1 vehicles and guns from SW, and WW2 tanks from GHQ. HBG might be a better option for the latter.

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Craig, this was a lotta fun. Thanks for the excellent photos. And I noticed that Snoopy Flying Ace ruler! Very cool man!

-Chuck
    “Flying is hours and hours of boredom sprinkled with a few seconds of sheer terror!” Gregory “Pappy” Boyington, USMC”

Similar Missions

1. Gritty Goblin Games Wings of War/Glory, 8 February 2024 - AAR#1
    By CrashCraig in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-16-2024, 09:23
  2. Gritty Goblin Games Wings of War/Glory, 8 Feb 2024
    By RJG173 in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-13-2024, 11:22
  3. Gritty Goblin Games Wings of War/Glory, 4 January 2024
    By CrashCraig in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 3