Ares Games

Thread: Anchorage down.

Default Anchorage down.

For all those pilots who are also Sails players. The site has a problem and can't be accessed at present.
    I have E-mailed Keith to appraise him of the situation.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

On a related note: has anyone else noticed that movement on this site has slowed down a lot?
    I think it started a few weeks ago.

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    On a related note: has anyone else noticed that movement on this site has slowed down a lot?
    I think it started a few weeks ago.

Karl
    Yes I noticed that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    For all those pilots who are also Sails players. The site has a problem and can't be accessed at present.
    I have E-mailed Keith to appraise him of the situation.
    Rob.
    I sent him an email yesterday letting him know the security certificate had expired.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Users Country Flag

Name
    Warren
    Sorties Flown

I tried to join The Anchorage twice in recent weeks, but I never got the promised email to complete the process. One thread there suggests that the website is going down forever, with a possibility that some material would be moved to this website.

That is quite correct Warren. Keith is looking to move this site to a new server as we are getting more and more glitches. It would be too costly to do the same for the Anchorage so we intend to restart it as a sub forum here thus halfing the running costs of the site.
    I have informed the members of sails of this fact and suggested that they save to their home computers anything they find useful so that we can reinstate it here once the move is complete. This is now hampered by the shutdown of the Anchorage.
    Rob.

That is quite correct Warren. Keith is looking to move this site to a new server as we are getting more and more glitches. It would be too costly to do the same for the Anchorage so we intend to restart it as a sub forum here thus halfing the running costs of the site.
    I have informed the members of sails of this fact and suggested that they save to their home computers anything they find useful so that we can reinstate it here once the move is complete. This is now hampered by the shutdown of the Anchorage.
    Rob.
    SAILS!!!!

COMING HERE!!!!!!

More Dried Frog Pills, please!

I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Oh, chill, mein Herr.
    We'll keep the Chinese wall up to protect you.

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    SAILS!!!!

COMING HERE!!!!!!

More Dried Frog Pills, please!

It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Rob.
    It still works, you just have to click "Help Me Understand" (like your browser thinks you're some kind of frickin' moron) and "Proceed Anyway" on the intercept pages that get in your way.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.

Don't worry Tim. I will set your permissions so that you don't get to read that section. That way you won't get contaminated by salt water.
    Rob.

Message from Keith today.
    He is on the case. Looks as if it is just the SSL Cert which he is dealing with.
    Rob.

After thought.
    For those of you who don't know what an SSL Cert is:-

An SSL certificate is a digital certificate that authenticates a website's identity and enables an encrypted connection. SSL stands for Secure Sockets Layer, a security protocol that creates an encrypted link between a web server and a web browser.

Companies and organizations need to add SSL certificates to their websites to secure online transactions and keep customer information private and secure.

In short: SSL keeps internet connections secure and prevents criminals from reading or modifying information transferred between two systems. When you see a padlock icon next to the URL in the address bar, that means SSL protects the website you are visiting.

Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    lankin
    Sorties Flown

Well it seems that the site was hacked

Maybe the slowdown came from attacks against the site.

Interesting how images keep disappearing even when links are still live... Wish we could get the Anchorage subforum here started so we can start copypasta'ing and placing tings like research and houserules threads, plus the Stat Committee wardroom.

I can't get any link at all DB, but did get a few contacts saved for members who agreed to my holding them and all the Campaign Scenario Briefs. I was just about half way through the How to section when the site went down. I have a few bits saved from the Files which interested me but other than that I did not get the chance to do any more.
    Rob.

Site's still up just fine, just no pics loading where I've checked.

Can Hedeby create new subforums, or is that functionality reserved to Fearless Leader only?

Just tried it and I can get on now.
    I will have a look see.

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Site's still up just fine, just no pics loading where I've checked.

Can Hedeby create new subforums, or is that functionality reserved to Fearless Leader only?
    I should be able to, might take a bit of fiddling as haven’t tried it before.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    I should be able to, might take a bit of fiddling as haven’t tried it before.
    Thanks! In a nutshell, what I was thinking to ask you to do was mirror the format of the WGF, WGS and BSG subforums.

Users Country Flag

Name
    lankin
    Sorties Flown

You can try to do a backup to archive.org as it is done for the wings-site from time to time.
    But be aware it is not the entire site there.

I tried but I cant's save the complete content, so it should be done manually.

We should ask Keith for permission as a matter of courtesy chaps before on embarking on a modification to the Drome like this.
    Rob.

We should ask Keith for permission as a matter of courtesy chaps before on embarking on a modification to the Drome like this.
    Rob.
    Quite agreed, I was asking purely from a Technical standpoint - no sense in asking "may we proceed" if there are no means to implement the proposal.

Hey guys, did we ever find out what was going to happen with this? I'm just curious. I haven't been able to login over there in like 2 years or something. I'd love for it to move over here!
    “Flying is hours and hours of boredom sprinkled with a few seconds of sheer terror!” Gregory “Pappy” Boyington, USMC”

As soon as Keith finds a suitable new site for Wings and that has transmigrated Chuck we should be ready for the move. Do you need a new password for the Anchorage?
    Rob.

Yes Rob, I tried to get it to send me one but nothing would happen. It hasn't let me login in a long time. Thank you kindly!
    “Flying is hours and hours of boredom sprinkled with a few seconds of sheer terror!” Gregory “Pappy” Boyington, USMC”

If you PM me with a password you know. I will try to install it for you and when you are in you should be able to alter it to a private one again. I will PM you if I can set it up for you.

Rob.

So, from what Keith told me remapping all the user/section/post ID's for a database merge would take more time/coding skill/money than he can spare.

That is correct DB and the reason why I advised everybody on the Anchorage to salvage anything they felt was essential to their needs. I have set up a sticky there for them to inform the rest what is saved to prevent people wasting time with duplication. Once we have moved we can re post onto the new forum.

Rob.

Similar Missions

1. Is The Anchorage Shut Down?
    By BellMW54 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-18-2023, 07:35
  2. Anchorage Down Again.
    By Naharaht in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 02-03-2015, 05:17
  3. Anchorage???
    By 7eat51 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 4