Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: March 2024 Workbench

Quote Originally Posted by Sulring View Post
    Yeah, I get you.
    Tried it out back in the late 80s, and that game system really wasn't my speed. Not fun enough...
    Building minis for my pal felt good though.
    The setting can be interesting, if you suspend your belief in how long fuel, ammo and food can be stored.
    I had a number of fun games with it, but the system is not great.
    Maybe trying it with the old GDW Twilight 2000?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

nice work on the aeg pete!

love the balloon barrage mile!

Just stumbled across an interesting 3d-printed expandable storage system. Wings/Sails potential?
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...abletop-gamers
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

As March is coming to a close, the Easter Beagle blessed me with a painted Halberstadt CL.II. Details will follow in the painting showcase. Happy Easter!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snoopy.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	157.1 KB 
ID:	337244

Nice! Hope to see it in an AAR soon!

Not game related, but just threw on some wooden planks to widen our porch railings as an Easter surprise for our fuzzy little houseguests. We just had another squirrel move into our yard, and from the look of her she's either late-stage pregnant or recently delivered.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.

Quote Originally Posted by CrashCraig View Post
    As March is coming to a close, the Easter Beagle blessed me with a painted Halberstadt CL.II. Details will follow in the painting showcase. Happy Easter!
    Good job on the Halberstadt, Craig, it looks great. Not that it matters, but I wonder which is the correct scheme ?

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Easter Beagle blessed me with a painted Halberstadt CL.II
    That's very nice Craig. One very large Snoopy too. His kennel must be one enormous bus to fly

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Good job on the Halberstadt, Craig, it looks great. Not that it matters, but I wonder which is the correct scheme ?
    Dave, Here is the link on the Aerodrome that I found covering your question which was the same one I had:

https://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=72651

Also here is a contemporary photo:

Name:	Photo Halberstadt CL.II Schlasta 21 No 3 Marths & Elise.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	8.9 KB 
ID:	337261

Good stuff

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post
    That's very nice Craig. One very large Snoopy too. His kennel must be one enormous bus to fly
    Mike- He wasn't quite so big until after he ate all the goodies in the basket

The Swordfish are now finished.

Name:	IMG_2013.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	337267

[ATTACH=CONFIG]337270[/ATTACH

Name:	IMG_2008.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	337271

Name:	IMG_2004.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	337269
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2007.jpg  
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 04-01-2024 at 11:43.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by CrashCraig View Post
    Dave, Here is the link on the Aerodrome that I found covering your question which was the same one I had..
    As I thought, another case of none actually knows the answer, bit like the nose of Voss's F.1. All we have are different interpretations of the same photographs of the same machine with different shades of grey. GvW summed it up well, I thought. There are a lot of things we simply will never know about the coloration of WWI aircraft.
    Thanks for the link, Craig

Since we don't have an April Bench thread, a little pic of an Easter Sunday's work for our fuzzy friends.

5 zipties + 2 scrap planks from a collapsed fence in the backyard + 3 hours with the hacksaw = 1 happy little squirrel.

Glad you like squirrels, DB. Can I send you mine

BTW: you could start an April workbench thread. no?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Glad you like squirrels, DB. Can I send you mine

BTW: you could start an April workbench thread. no?
    Karl
    LOL Karl, you could but I doubt they'd fit in, Lefty and Mumsey don't even play well with each other lately! I suppose I could have started a new thread but I had the Ill Tempered One getting impatient about fixing something to shovel down her maw. You know how it is with aging family...

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    LOL Karl, you could but I doubt they'd fit in, Lefty and Mumsey don't even play well with each other lately! I suppose I could have started a new thread but I had the Ill Tempered One getting impatient about fixing something to shovel down her maw. You know how it is with aging family...
    Ahh, enough said.

The Swordfish are now finished.
    Great work there, Rob. Do you make all of your own decals and bases?

Your model of Taranto will appear here too I hope

Wow Rob! Those Swordfish look perfect. I'm a little jealous! hahaha
    “Flying is hours and hours of boredom sprinkled with a few seconds of sheer terror!” Gregory “Pappy” Boyington, USMC”

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Ahh, enough said.
    As it is I'm tempted to go cut the zipties and UN-do my work... she somehow thought it was an appropriate "thank you" to run my little buddy and fuzzy little therapist off for good. (The Law has been laid down, "no more treats or playtime or anything fun until you go find Lefty and bring him home.")

Your model of Taranto will appear here too I hope
    Thanks Mike.
    I decided to restrict my model of Taranto to the finished item, because I do not want to duplicate a lot of pictures here and bog down the allocation of space on the server for our photos.
    Rob.

Preparation for OTT FYM Mission 3 required me to paint up my Tripes. They are all Shapeways models I've had for some time but not painted until now. So two of them will all be flying for the first time Yep, we all know what's going to happen - and its "Bloody April time too Shapeways Models by Reduced Aircraft.

Based on the information I have for Flight "A" RNAS 10 ("A History of No.10 Squadron Royal Naval Air Service in WW1 " by Mike Westrop) the cowling, fins and wheel covers for this flight were red. Lots of detail given about "B" Flight (The Black Flight", of course, but sadly, not quite as much on A Flight. All of the aircraft used are recorded, as are the names of all the pilots. But until I trawl through the text I still haven't found any information which connects "A" Flight to specific Triplanes or their pilots (with one exception). "B" Flight were believed to have used personal identifying letters, as well as girls names, based on the initial letter of their surname. It doesn't appear to be known whether or not the pilots of the other two flights followed the same practice. So I have simply used letters A to F instead (again I have assumed there may have been 6 aircraft per flight at full strength, although this was probably never achieved). Wheel covers are another "invention" I'm afraid. The author above simply says they were red, but following the possible practice elsewhere I have made each one slightly different, for the fun of it. Neither have I added serial numbers, because apart from one aircraft, "B" in the flight, I don't know them. Incidentally, I only have a single white letter "B" decal left, so that machine has not been done, until I can get hold of more decals. "Roundels" and "Letters" used are either from Miscmini or Dom's decals (from way back and sadly the last of the latter). Paints are all Vallejo or Misterkit (the PC12 and CGL paints).
    Here's to their first outing, when they will be meeting a strongly aced up Manfred von Richtofen - All the work just to be shot down huh! Ah well, you never know - its all in the cards, so luck may be on their side

Name:	Flight A RNAS 10 4.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	337496 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flight A RNAS 10 2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	337495
    Last edited by mikeemagnus; 04-06-2024 at 06:26.

They look very swish, Mike, I hope they do you (and Uncle) proud !

Sorry Mike, I completely overlooked your question about bases and decals. Bases are from Keith. I still have a few spares to cover the few aircraft that I may still need. Iplant them on a further plastic base with an infoand firing arc printed onto an acetate sheet sandwitched between the two. Decals for FAA logo and recognition letters are home made. The others such as roundels etc are Shed Decals.
    Rob.

Very sharp looking Tripes Mike. The red, as in nature, will be a warning to any Hun in the vicinity!

Nice Tripes, "Le Micro"

Love the wing-spacing!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Thanks all, and thanks, Rob, for that feedback

PS I have now found the information I needed regarding the members of each flight. It was in the text well into the book. Happy to share the info with anybody who wants it, A Flight names will be in my photo album.
    Last edited by mikeemagnus; 04-08-2024 at 11:23.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. WMMS 2024 Sunday 17th March
    By Boney10 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-19-2024, 04:20
  2. February 2024 Workbench
    By ShadowDragon in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-04-2024, 06:21
  3. March 2020 Workbench
    By Shadowcat in forum Hobby Room