Ares Games

Thread: Company of Makers - Middle Wallop 25 May

Default Company of Makers - Middle Wallop 25 May

"Hello UK based Wings of Glory players. I now have a date and venue for the Company of Makers wargaming event. Saturday 25 May 24 at the Army Aviation museum, Middle Wallop. The event is being developed by The Company of Makers which is a UK based charitable organisation for Veterans and this event is for about 80-100 veterans who have expressed an interested in wargaming and I would like to have a few demo games for the participants to view and have a go at with some experienced players. Reasonable travel expenses can be covered and you would have a chance to explore the Army Aviation Museum.

If you would like to help out or if you are a veteran and interested in attending as would like to do some Wings of Glory wargaming in an excellent venue please DM me.

Many thanks
    Conrad Steele-Benny"

Hopefully Mr Steele-Benny of FB will get on this site himself.

Thanks Zoe.
    I hope we have some takers for this very worthy enterprise.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I'll go if I'm able to travel, but thats not certain yet.

I'm up for it, Zoe, all being well I should be over my surgery and driving again by then, it's about an hour away from me. I'm not on Farcebook so I hope Conrad joins the forum. I'm also a veteran so would be happy to help.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

I'm happy to support this. It's only about 45 mins from me and as a veteran I'm more than happy to showcase our hobby.

I'd like to be in on this, too.

Unsure at present whether the date is clear for me - need to sort it with Work.

I'm NOT a veteran, but I'm happy to showcase our hobby to anyone who is interested!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I'm in. Like Tim, I'm not a veteran, but happy to help those interested in wargaming Wings. Can you please confirm that the dates are Friday the 24th and Saturday 25th May 2024.

Grateful to know if and when we would be participating asap as would need to book accommodation in advance

Saturday 25th May 24 - that's 2024
    Saturday only

Saturday 25th May 24 - that's 2024 Saturday only
    So it is. Thanks Tim. I read that as 25th and 24th. Ah well, yet another senior moment.

One thing though Zoe. What if a good number of these Veterans take to Wings of Glory and start asking where they can get the game? At the moment, whenever we are at shows we have to keep repeating the warning that its difficult to find.

Does anybody know of a source of the WW1 Rules and accessories packs that we could recommend to interested parties, outside of e Bay? I don't think Entoyment have any even thought they do have some aircraft.

Entoyment sold their last ones at Beachhead thanks to us, Mike !

Quote Originally Posted by mikeemagnus View Post

Does anybody know of a source of the WW1 Rules and accessories packs that we could recommend to interested parties, outside of e Bay?
    <<cough, cough>>

If we do this, and bearing in mind the venue, can I suggest we concentrate on things like trench strafing, balloon busting and other army supporting activities? I have balloons, a Sopwith Salamander and some German ground attack aircraft

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    <<cough, cough>>
    Surely not Tim

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

As a very local, I'd be up for assisting.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    If we do this, and bearing in mind the venue, can I suggest we concentrate on things like trench strafing, balloon busting and other army supporting activities? I have balloons, a Sopwith Salamander and some German ground attack aircraft
    Not sure I wholly agree. Although ex Army veterans might be in larger numbers, the other services might be represented as well. By all means show off some other possible scenarios but we might be better at providing the basics first, before asking the potential gamers to do more complicated things. After all WoG is primarily a dogfight game.

I'll field my show scenarios to get the chaps up and running, we can always move on to multi-player timed dogfights if we have the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hu Rhu View Post
    Not sure I wholly agree. Although ex Army veterans might be in larger numbers, the other services might be represented as well. By all means show off some other possible scenarios but we might be better at providing the basics first, before asking the potential gamers to do more complicated things. After all WoG is primarily a dogfight game.
    Clearly a trench raid or balloon busting mission is going to include "traditional" dogfighting (and "Wings" players will, experience suggests, just ignore their orders and dogfight anyway! ) Balloon busting games also have the virtue of being more visually impressive. I thought that would count for a lot - even more now that the reissued balloons are out there

Not sure if anyone else made contact, but I messaged Conrad via Facebook, apparently there is some planning meeting on 26th Feb, after which he should be able to provide more detail.

Received the following email regarding this event.

Hello All,

Planning for our "Get in the Game" Tabletop Gaming event at the Army Flying Museum, Middle Wallop (Home | The Army Flying Museum), is well under way and I was able to do an on-site visit on 26 Feb 24 and meet with the team there and see the facilities first hand.
    In line with the Company of Makers objectives - This event is an opportunity to get Veterans involved in tabletop gaming and introduce them to likeminded gamers.
    The museum is a fantastic venue and we have been offered a large open space in The Heywood Hall and Conference room (See the website link for details) as well as access to a few other areas should we need it.
    The venue will still be open to the public but there will be no entry charge to the event participants, and you will be more than welcome to look around the museum during the day.

Sheppey Models will be our designated trader at the event (Sheppey Models – For The Military Modeller And Wargamer) and will be offereing some deals for our event participants (I am sure if you wish to pre-order anything prior to the event he can bring it on the day).

Plan is - Setup from 0800, doors open 0900-1600, there is plenty of parking on site and easy access to the venue.

More details will follow as I get info from all of you but what I need now is to collate what you are bringing and need at the venue.
    There is a form for us to fill in table and chair requirements and provide a list of names. Seems there may be scope for two tables (WW1 and WW2) if we wish and have enough volunteers.

I'm happy to head up the WW1 table, Mark, we normally run with a 12x5 table with 12 chairs on which we can run a couple of starter scenarios to get people up and running. I'll PM you.

I have submitted a form for this event to supply a WW1 WoG table and listed the names of those who have shown an interest - I await a response from Conrad & will let you all know.

I have had the thumbs up from Conrad already, so we're on !

I explained how we usually run shows locally with a double table with introductory scenarios on each and he seemed very happy with the idea as it's the main thrust of the get together.
    My scenarios are catching the spotter, interdicting the bomber, busting the balloon, dogfighting which can last from 20-40 mins. DM if you have a similar length trench strafe scenario you'd like to put on, and/or something naval, we can add them to the pile to ring the changes.

Big thanks to Zoe for flagging this up & to Mark who made the initial contact.
    Last edited by flash; 03-13-2024 at 03:35.

So far we only have names of those who have registered an interest, so can we get some firm confirmations, please.
    Names so far are:
    Dave (flash); Gary (Hu Rhu); Tim (Flying Helmut); Mike (Mikeemagnus); Sue (Suzie); Mark (Woof); Baz (Baz); David (David Manley);

We'll need a minimum of six to run the WW1 double table and we may be allowed more, Mark might also be offering a WW2 table so more volunteers will likely be needed if you fancy that, please pass the word, I'll see if we can scare up a couple more locally.
    Last edited by flash; 03-23-2024 at 10:38.

You can put me down as a possible, depending on where we are with the house move.

Go Boys Go

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

I'm deffo in.

I've also had confirms from Gary & Mike, sadly a couple of others I've asked are otherwise engaged, if you can make it along Baz that'll help.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Suzie
    Sorties Flown

Default Too new?

This sounds like great fun - Id definitely be interest in helping out if you still need numbers. I am new though so not as knowledgeable as my fellow Wednesday nighters.
    Let me know either way I don't mind at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    "Hello UK based Wings of Glory players. I now have a date and venue for the Company of Makers wargaming event. Saturday 25 May 24 at the Army Aviation museum, Middle Wallop. The event is being developed by The Company of Makers which is a UK based charitable organisation for Veterans and this event is for about 80-100 veterans who have expressed an interested in wargaming and I would like to have a few demo games for the participants to view and have a go at with some experienced players. Reasonable travel expenses can be covered and you would have a chance to explore the Army Aviation Museum.

If you would like to help out or if you are a veteran and interested in attending as would like to do some Wings of Glory wargaming in an excellent venue please DM me.

Many thanks
    Conrad Steele-Benny"

Hopefully Mr Steele-Benny of FB will get on this site himself.

Of course you can come along, Sue, you'll be able to relate to the newbies perspective as well.
    Think you're in my home town so I could give you a lift if you need it. If you're in next Wednesday we can sort the details then. Cheers Dave

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I've also had confirms from Gary & Mike, sadly a couple of others I've asked are otherwise engaged, if you can make it along Baz that'll help.
    I will not know until later in Mar/Apr so will let you know at Fight Club

Users Country Flag

Name
    Suzie
    Sorties Flown

Sadly I'm not about for the next two Wednesdays (blasted holiday!) - think my dear husband was hoping to come along too (if allowed) -
    Great, sounds like it should be a very interesting and fun day.

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    I will not know until later in Mar/Apr so will let you know at Fight Club
    Thanks, Baz

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
    Sadly I'm not about for the next two Wednesdays (blasted holiday!)
    I expect we'll catch up before the event though, Sue.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Suzie
    Sorties Flown

Yes of course #TeaRatherThanBeer

Just seen this thanks to Flash, cheers for the heads up Dave, I am a veteran and would be interested in helping out, either with wings or Sails if that, ahem, floats any boats, I shall check dates and see if
    I can join in, if not too late

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Just seen this thanks to Flash, cheers for the heads up Dave, I am a veteran and would be interested in helping out, either with wings or Sails if that, ahem, floats any boats, I shall check dates and see if
    I can join in, if not too late
    I've put you on the list, Chris.
    If you want to do the boaty thing, you'd have to get a table, I could send you the link to the form, if you PM me your e-mail.

Given the number of volunteers, I've put in a form for a WWII table as well as Conrad was quite keen for both. Given Wallop was a sector station, I think a few taster Battle of Britain scenarios are in order.

Nice one, Mark, that'll be good to see.

Unfortunately I will not be able to attend this after all, Dave sent you a pm with a fuller explanation.
    Hope it goes well and look forward to seeing most of you at other shows

Understood mate, see you down the road soon I expect.

Sounds like could be a great event, looking forward to the pictures

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

I've started a thread Get In The Game - Middle Wallop 25th May 2024 to continue the planning for this event linked here
    I will also post pics of the day there after the event.
    Last edited by flash; 04-17-2024 at 02:15.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-19-2021, 12:42
  2. Bad Film Makers Unite
    By csadn in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-15-2014, 01:11
  3. In the middle photo
    By CappyTom in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-11-2014, 16:13
  4. Other aircraft card makers on the forum?
    By James Denberger in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-03-2013, 13:03
  5. For you model makers out there...Looking for a trade...
    By J53_Badger in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-06-2011, 09:06