Ares Games

Thread: February 2024 Workbench

Default February 2024 Workbench

I haven't done any models for sometime but the new OTT campaign requires some and the first mission needs Bristol F2B for Bloody April. So here are two Valom Bristol F2B - D-8084 (Dalrymple and Beagle) and B-1152 (Oades and Bunting) - respectively with the red on the top wing and the 'C'. Some silvering that needs touching up, but otherwise ready to go for OTT.

I had expected the 12 wing and cabane struts to be the challenge. Not so - it was the struts holding the lower wing to the fuselage. These are six 1-2mm plastics bits per plane. It's really difficult to glue them at the correct angle for later assembly of the lower wing and fuselage. I did one by gluing the struts first to the fuselage and the to the lower wing. Gluing to the fuselage was the better option but neither was satisfactory. I made me wonder why not just have those struts molded to the fuselage pieces versus separate ones? Oh well - my first and last two Valom Bristol F2B.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bristol F2B Fighter.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	195.4 KB 
ID:	335533

A couple of Valom Rumpler C.IV that were in the same box as the Bristol F2B. Happier with the construction of these versus the F2B but, conversely I was happier with painting the F2B, but since I don't have an airbrush for the camo pattern that's to be expected. Note: the decals in this set were a lot more fragile than the ones for the F2B. The shooting star one is Luftstreitkräfte 1421/17, while the striped one is an MFFA aeroplane.

Name:	Rumpler CIV v1.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	335867 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rumpler CIV v2.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	335866

Nice work, Paul!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry R. View Post
    Nice work, Paul!
    Thanks, Larry.

More fodder for OTT, Paul

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Edit because my pic isn't showing up: https://media.discordapp.net/attachm...4912/image.png

Now to find a motor that does 300rpm, runs very cool and is about the size of a cigarette filter... and order an F-84 and two XF-85s.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 02-25-2024 at 08:15.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Nice planes Paul. I'm sure we'll soon see them in OTT!

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Nice planes Paul. I'm sure we'll soon see them in OTT!
    You will see the Bristols once you've done FYM Mission 1 and then allow yourself to view other AAR.

Not all completed planes to show, but working on five aircraft for the Polish-Soviet War. Three are done - the Camel that camelbeagle picked up from another chap, two Snipes with one having a dash f color added to the top wing for distinction purposes, two of the Table Top Flights Ansaldo A.Is with some paint on them (long way to go), a Table Top Flights Ponnier nearing completion (gotta clean up the tail and add decals), and a Escadrille Americaine N.16 that needs decals.

Name:	20240303_093139.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	336372
    Last edited by predhead; 03-03-2024 at 06:48.

Good show, Darryl. Going into 1920
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by predhead View Post
    Not all completed planes to show, but working on five aircraft for the Polish-Soviet War. Three are done - the Camel that camelbeagle picked up from another chap, two Snipes with one having a dash f color added to the top wing for distinction purposes, two of the Table Top Flights Ansaldo A.Is with some paint on them (long way to go), a Table Top Flights Ponnier nearing completion (gotta clean up the tail and add decals), and a Escadrille Americaine N.16 that needs decals.
    Baltic Bob would have approved.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    Baltic Bob would have approved.

Indeed he would.

Preliminary test-fitting and sizing up space for installing motors. These old kits need a LOT of cutting, filing, flash trimming and filling to make them fit right...
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Nice looking work people. Am I looking at the beginning of a Superfortress DB?

Quote Originally Posted by camel crew View Post
    Am I looking at the beginning of a Superfortress ?
    B-36 Peacemaker

https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...0s-Revell)-kit
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Similar Missions

1. February 2023 Workbench
    By Guntruck in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-13-2023, 12:48
  2. February 2020 Workbench
    By Shadowcat in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 119
    Last Post: 03-01-2020, 12:15
  3. February Workbench
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 157
    Last Post: 03-01-2019, 12:44
  4. What's on your workbench - February 2017
    By Aardvark1430 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 110
    Last Post: 02-28-2017, 14:19
  5. WGF What's on your workbench this February?
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 03-06-2013, 16:20